Not_By_Chance

Site Supporter
May 25, 2015
✟62,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
We hear a lot about evidence from the fossil record. Supporters of the theory of evolution claim that such evidence supports their beliefs. Supporters of [relatively] recent Divine creation, similarly claim that the evidence from the fossil record supports their beliefs too. Only one of these conclusions can be right, but no-one can actually prove that they have truth and the other side has the error. So leaving aside the past and what cannot be proven, I'd like to ask those who consider themselves experts on these matters to provide, let's say, a dozen examples of creatures alive today that are definitely, without doubt, evolving into a totally different kind of creature. If evolution is really true, it ought to be quite simple to provide such examples from all the masses of lifeforms on this planet. Can you do it?

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If evolution is really true, it ought to be quite simple to provide such examples from all the masses of lifeforms on this planet. Can you do it?
invalid assumption.
genetics is proving to be a lot more complex than we ever imagined.
evolution is not a simple matter of mutating genes.
there are many examples of evolution producing organisms with decreasing fitness and instances of evolution that aren't the result of natural selection.

i believe that the recent advances in knowledge about the genetic structure of DNA, coupled with genetic algorithms will soon make it possible to either prove or disprove all of the theories associated with evolution.

no, i'm no expert, i have based my post largely on the work of other scientists.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
So leaving aside the past and what cannot be proven, I'd like to ask those who consider themselves experts on these matters to provide, let's say, a dozen examples of creatures alive today that are definitely, without doubt, evolving into a totally different kind of creature.

Evolution doesn't work that way.

It's kind of like asking "well, if gravity exists, then why do hammers float in the ISS?".

Upvote 0

Not_By_Chance

Site Supporter
May 25, 2015
✟62,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What's a 'kind'?

Well, there's the Biblical kinds, where God makes it clear (as far as I recall) that each "kind" can mate to produce fertile offspring. I don't know about man-made definitions though, but we are constantly being told that reptiles evolved into birds and that monkeys evolved into humans, etc, so if this kind of process were really true, then we surely ought to be able to see examples of such things happening today. If no-one can come up with any hard evidence amongst living creatures, then why should anyone believe evolutionary stories about the past, especially based on nothing more than a collection of old bones?

Upvote 0

Not_By_Chance

Site Supporter
May 25, 2015
✟62,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
there are many examples of evolution producing organisms with decreasing fitness
That's what I have been told - but decreasing fitness is devolution and not evolution. Creation scientists would firmly agree with you on that one. Amen to that.

Upvote 0

Not_By_Chance

Site Supporter
May 25, 2015
✟62,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
i believe that the recent advances in knowledge about the genetic structure of DNA, coupled with genetic algorithms will soon make it possible to either prove or disprove all of the theories associated with evolution.
I've seen computer-simulations of some of the workings of the cell and it just blows my mind to even consider that anything so complex could possibly have arisen by chance. So I think, the current knowledge about DNA has already shown, well beyond any reasonable doubt that it could not have come about by chance from non-living chemicals. And this is just one part of the whole puzzle that increasingly seems to defy any explanation other than a Divine origin. God must be amused by our feeble attempts to figure out how He created the universe in general and life on our planet in particular.

Upvote 0

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
That's what I have been told - but decreasing fitness is devolution and not evolution. Creation scientists would firmly agree with you on that one. Amen to that.
i'm not into creation science.
what i've posted comes from legit, peer reviewed sources.
you might want to read the following:
Tactics

Upvote 0

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
God must be amused by our feeble attempts to figure out how He created the universe in general and life on our planet in particular.
in my opinion, if there is indeed a god, he's up there ROTFL at our puny human ways, mocking us.
figure THIS one out smarty pants ! !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not_By_Chance

Site Supporter
May 25, 2015
✟62,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
i'm not into creation science.
what i've posted comes from legit, peer reviewed sources.
you might want to read the following:
Tactics
The trouble is, such peer-reviewed articles are, as far as I am aware, reviewed by others with similar beliefs. I would suggest that not many people are brave enough to go against the main tide of opinion, especially when their reputations and careers are at stake.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The trouble is, such peer-reviewed articles are, as far as I am aware, reviewed by others with similar beliefs. I would suggest that not many people are brave enough to go against the main tide of opinion, especially when their reputations and careers are at stake.
I would suggest you stop suggesting derogatory things about people you don't know.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Well, there's the Biblical kinds, where God makes it clear (as far as I recall) that each "kind" can mate to produce fertile offspring. I don't know about man-made definitions though

There is no scientific definition of kind, so we'll have to go by whichever one your using. Am I right to understand that by your definition, if two organisms cannot mate produce fertile offspring, they're different kinds?

If I had two animal or plants, how would you determine if they're the same kind?

Upvote 0

Not_By_Chance

Site Supporter
May 25, 2015
✟62,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
he's up there ROTFL at our puny human ways, mocking us
If anything, God is weeping. When God came to earth as a man (Jesus), not once did He ever mock anyone. Quite the reverse, it was the crowds who mocked Him and they are still doing it 2000 years later.

Upvote 0

Zosimus

Non-Christian non-evolution believer
Oct 3, 2013
Lima, Peru
✟17,000.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Not_By_Chance

Site Supporter
May 25, 2015
✟62,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Upvote 0

Not_By_Chance

Site Supporter
May 25, 2015
✟62,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If I had two animal or plants, how would you determine if they're the same kind?
I wouldn't - but there must be experts who know enough to be able to give a considered opinion. If this cannot be defined, how can anyone say that macro evolution is occurring? It's then nothing more than an idea with no basis in fact.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
I wouldn't - but there must be experts who know enough to be able to give a considered opinion. If this cannot be defined, how can anyone say that macro evolution is occurring? It's then nothing more than an idea with no basis in fact.

But biologists don't define macro-evolution as a 'change in kinds'. You do. They don't use that term.

Upvote 0