EWTN, once called 'the work of the devil' by the pope now gets his blessing.

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

I can't believe the Pope called EWTN the work of the devil at any point in time. (And the guy who wrote this article isn't thrilled with EWTN either.) What is wrong with the Pope?? EWTN reaches millions who can't leave the house to attend Mass.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I can't believe the Pope called EWTN the work of the devil at any point in time. (And the guy who wrote this article isn't thrilled with EWTN either.) What is wrong with the Pope?? EWTN reaches millions who can't leave the house to attend Mass.
The whole thing was a National Catholic Reporter hit piece. I don't know what to take at face value on their say so. Actually nothing on face value. I don't know whether the pope once called EWTN a work of the devil OR whether EWTN now get's the pope's blessing.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The whole thing was a National Catholic Reporter hit piece. I don't know what to take at face value on their say so. Actually nothing on face value. I don't know whether the pope once called EWTN a work of the devil OR whether EWTN now get's the pope's blessing.
I do not take anything in the NCR seriously. As Fr. Z says- FISHWRAP!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't know the National Catholic Reporter was a yellow journalism type of news agency. That's good, I'd hate to think the Pope disrespected EWTN like that.
They are heretical as far as I’m concerned. Catholic clergy have come out and instructed the faithful not to read it because it is NOT Catholic.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I didn't know the National Catholic Reporter was a yellow journalism type of news agency. That's good, I'd hate to think the Pope disrespected EWTN like that.
I don’t know if EWTN is on a papal enemies list or even if there is a formal list. It seems plausible. What seems less plausible would be for this pope to complement anything by EWTN. But without better sources I wouldn’t credit National Catholic Reporter (AKA Fishwrap) with anything. Now the National Catholic Register is a different story. They are now owned by EWTN and do an OK job. Two very different news organizations.

Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I don’t know if EWTN is on a papal enemies list or even if there is a formal list. It seems plausible. What seems less plausible would be for this pope to complement anything by EWTN. But without better sources I wouldn’t credit National Catholic Reporter (AKA Fishwrap) with anything. Now the National Catholic Register is a different story. They are now owned by EWTN and do an OK job. Two very different news organizations.
I know that when Pope Francis insisted on having Pachamama on the alter, Fr. Mitch (from EWTN) spoke out vehemently against it. And they have a lot of Latin in their Masses, another annoyance of Pope Francis.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I know that when Pope Francis insisted on having Pachamama on the alter, Fr. Mitch (from EWTN) spoke out vehemently against it. And they have a lot of Latin in their Masses, another annoyance of Pope Francis.
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow, and yet some people hate that people aren't down to change with the world in obedience to the world rather than the unchanging God. How dare people worship like people always had. We must change everything because the unchanging God would be happier with that. Or something.

Send the nukes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
At first I liked Pope Francis but now I just don’t know what to think.
I liked him at first too. I liked John Paul I, what little there was of him. I trusted John Paul II and was to a large degree formed by him. I knew of papa Benedict from way back and so I was happy he became pope. Francis I was clueless about in advance. All the early reports were good. Then the odd statements started and I explained them away for a couple of years. Then I couldn't any more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I liked him at first too. I liked John Paul I, what little there was of him. I trusted Hoh Paul II and was to a large degree formed by him. I knew of papa Benedict from way back and so I was happy he became pope. Bot disappointed. Francis I was clueless about in advance. All the early reports were good. Then the odd statements started and I explained them away for a couple of years. Then I couldn't any more.
Way back when Pope Francis first became Pope it felt hopeful. I was still a newer Christian, LCMS conservative Protestant Lutheran. Pope Francis drew me into coming here and becoming friends with many of the posters back in the day. Some remain, but I think the only poster left who had been a strong friend is Michie. Those people helped my family out spiritually and financially. Of course I had enemies too because I'm very conservative and believe literally everything God says, and called the world out on being the world. Some were nasty. But most were pleasant. I inquired about Catholicism starting with Francis for many years. Some 5-6 years ago I became Orthodox because some Catholic hurdles were too much for me. I'm a student of history and from a non biased point of view the Orthodox Church was clearly correct and unchanging. But something about the Catholic Church wouldn't stop nagging at me. Then I had a terrible divorce and I blamed Orthodoxy and left and started looking into Catholicism again. Two years ago I mentioned how I would finally join the Catholic Church, and I did. I took longer than expected. About a year in totality. I mostly stayed away from here because I'm the woke crowd makes me sin. I'm a schizophrenic hermit and I like being a hermit. I don't deal with the world. Coming here should expose me to Christians, but it just exposes me to heretics and woke Christians running after Satan and it makes me sick and angry and sometimes my mouth (or hands in the case of the Internet) work faster than my brain. And I sin. And yet the very thing that started my journey ended my journey. Francis. My journey back to Orthodoxy started a couple months ago. It has been cemented with recent news. The idea of the Pope is one of the primary contentions between the churches and to me he has proven the East cannot be wrong and I now feel like I left home and I'm sick about it. If Rome is true, Francis killed me spiritually.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Way back when Pope Francis first became Pope it felt hopeful. I was still a newer Christian, LCMS conservative Protestant Lutheran. Pope Francis drew me into coming here and becoming friends with many of the posters back in the day. Some remain, but I think the only poster left who had been a strong friend is Michie. Those people helped my family out spiritually and financially. Of course I had enemies too because I'm very conservative and believe literally everything God says, and called the world out on being the world. Some were nasty. But most were pleasant. I inquired about Catholicism starting with Francis for many years. Some 5-6 years ago I became Orthodox because some Catholic hurdles were too much for me. I'm a student of history and from a non biased point of view the Orthodox Church was clearly correct and unchanging. But something about the Catholic Church wouldn't stop nagging at me. Then I had a terrible divorce and I blamed Orthodoxy and left and started looking into Catholicism again. Two years ago I mentioned how I would finally join the Catholic Church, and I did. I took longer than expected. About a year in totality. I mostly stayed away from here because I'm the woke crowd makes me sin. I'm a schizophrenic hermit and I like being a hermit. I don't deal with the world. Coming here should expose me to Christians, but it just exposes me to heretics and woke Christians running after Satan and it makes me sick and angry and sometimes my mouth (or hands in the case of the Internet) work faster than my brain. And I sin. And yet the very thing that started my journey ended my journey. Francis. My journey back to Orthodoxy started a couple months ago. It has been cemented with recent news. The idea of the Pope is one of the primary contentions between the churches and to me he has proven the East cannot be wrong and I now feel like I left home and I'm sick about it. If Rome is true, Francis killed me spiritually.
I’ve learned a lot from you too Michael and have been blessed by your presence here as well as your friendship. You say things I feel at times but I am just too lazy to express here because of all that has been going on in my real life. You have really represented a sincere heart looking for the truth. You are not just here to put down or twist the faith. You have a valuable voice as far as I’m concerned because you are sincere. And that shows. :praying:

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I don't know how to feel about this anymore but if a Jesuit writing for the distorter is mad then I know we're still on the right track.

I saw an exhortation from a priest on twitter today, I thought it was Fr Longenecker but I checked and couldn't find it so it must've been another, but he basically said if we're troubled with what's been going on in the Vatican we can focus on building the faith in our homes and our parishes and not to think about what's going on beyond the sphere of our own influence.

That's something that had already been on my mind for a really long time anyway. I've posted threads on here asking whether people have seen the impact of these Vatican moves on their individual parishes and the answer is usually not. I mean I fret whenever I first hear news about Francis' latest folly but then I wait a few days and go on living my life. What I end up seeing is that nothing's changed at my parish, the faith is still the faith, it's being taught and practiced correctly there and in my household. I think that's the best we can really do whether we have a good pope or a bad one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I’ve learned a lot from you too Michael and have been blessed by your presence here as well as your friendship. You say things I feel at times but I am just too lazy to express here because of all that has been going on in my real life. You have really represented a sincere heart looking for the truth. You are not just here to put down or twist the faith. You have a valuable voice as far as I’m concerned because you are sincere. And that shows. :praying:
I have only ever wanted to follow God in absolute truth, and where that truth is has never mattered to me. Whether I liked it or not, doesn't matter. That's where Protestants so often fail. They church shop for something that fits their beliefs rather than seeking the truth, wherever that may be found, and conforming to that truth. And that's the problem the Catholic Church is having right now, I think. So, so many want to conform to a modern world and modern beliefs rather than humbling themselves and seeking the only truth that matters, the very truth of God that is unchanging. Hate and bullying and harassment and even death be damned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Francis didn't call EWTN a work of the devil; he might have been saying some things they did were the work of the devil. The linked article does offer a link to what it's talking about.

The quote in question, which seems to originate from this article in La Civilta Cattolica from two years ago, is this:

One of the participants tells the pope about the situation of the Slovak Church and the internal tensions. “Some even see you as heterodox,” he says, “while others idealize you. We Jesuits try to overcome this division.” He asks: “How do you deal with people who look at you with suspicion?”

There is, for example, a large Catholic television channel that has no hesitation in continually speaking ill of the pope. I personally deserve attacks and insults because I am a sinner, but the Church does not deserve them. They are the work of the devil. I have also said this to some of them.

(the first paragraph is the question, the second is the beginning of Francis's response--there's more, but that's the key part)

Some sources at the time, including National Catholic Reporter, interpreted him as referring to EWTN. While that's possible, I am not so sure it is true. This meeting was in Slovakia, not the United States, and Francis makes no reference to it being in America. Given the question was preceded by talking about the tensions of the Slovak Church, for all I know there's a Catholic television channel in that country.

At any rate, the "work of the devil" in context is not in reference to whatever that television channel is, but the "attacks and insults" at the church, which he doesn't actually say the channel is guilty of (he says the channel "has no hesitation in continually speaking ill of the pope" but the "work of the devil" is in reference to attacks on the church, not him specifically).

Did Francis have EWTN in mind? I don't know, as I can't read his mind. But to take that statement as him saying EWTN is "a work of the devil" requires one to assume that this unnamed station is EWTN and to ignore the fact he doesn't say the television channel is the work of the devil, but the "attacks and insults" are--and he is referring not to attacks and insults on himself, but attacks and insults on the church.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married