Winnipeg
✟244,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Its not the default setting, that would be counter productive, but it certainly happens often enough to be cautious about it.

It doesn't sound like this is so from your posts. You sound highly skeptical of human truthfulness.

I wrote:

"Well, even sinners are capable of communicating truth. Is the sinner who says 2+2=4 telling a lie?"

You replied:

"Of course they are. The challenge is in determining when they are not doing so."

I think you meant to say "Of course they aren't." In any case, my point was that, just because humans are morally-corrupt and so capable of telling falsehoods, it doesn't follow that they don't tell the truth, or are incapable of speaking it.

If you think a person is telling a lie, you can certainly cross-examine them, but it seems to me you shouldn't just assume a lie without reasonable cause for doing so. The mere possibility that a lie could be told is not, I think, sufficient reason to believe one has been told.

I wrote:

"You doubt the Bible when it says we are all sinners? Really?"

You replied:

"No, I agree with the Bible on this point. Its the whole reason I don't trust the validity of the Bible yet."

It just doesn't follow that because people are sinners, the Bible can't be trusted. Sinners produce perfectly reliable, perfectly true, documents all the time: bus schedules, maps, chemistry texts, car repair manuals, cookbooks, etc.

I wrote:

But another person may come along and say, "I don't believe it. I don't believe that scar is from cutting yourself with a knife. You're a human just like those rotten Nigerian con artists, or lousy insurance salesman!"

You replied:

"Indeed they could, and should. I could then show them by doing it again or doing it to them or a 3rd party."

But this wouldn't establish that the original scar was produced the way you claim - only that you can produce new, similar scars with a knife. You see, if people want to be radically skeptical about your claim about the scar, not even a re-enactment will suffice. Generally, though, unless there is a good reason to doubt your claim about how you got the scar, people will assume - quite reasonably - that you got it the way you say you did. Why, then, isn't this the way one should approach the Bible?

Sorry, but I have lost the line of this particular argument amongst the many quotes and replies in this now lengthy thread. I do apologise.

I was pointing out that strong biases cannot be overcome even with perfectly good evidence and argument. The mother of a just-convicted murderer who refuses to accept the finding of the court and jury concerning her son is an example of this. My greater point being that solid evidence and sound argument aren't always sufficient to convince people of the truth of a thing.

A now ancient book written by fallible humans is sufficient? I have a great problem with that and continue my search for an alternative.

Well, whatever problem you may have, so far, you haven't given good reason for it. You seem to have an unjustified radical skepticism toward the Bible which seems to be based largely on the non sequitur that, because people are fallible, the Bible must therefore be in error. This is no more true in regards to the Bible than it is of any document fallible humans produce.

Perhaps, but the more that is at play (and at stake), the better the evidence should be. And more numerous I should add. A single book? - even if it a collection of scripts.

Ideally, we should have all the evidence we would like to make up our minds about important things, about things that have high stakes for us. But, this just isn't how life works. Many things we must decide upon without all the information or certainty we could wish for. Career decisions, financial decisions, health decisions - these all are often made without having all the facts one might want in order to make them. I take a significant risk every time I get on the roadway with other drivers. I know nothing of their state of mind, or driving ability, or trustworthiness but I drive at high - potentially fatal - speeds among them every day. Every time I eat out at a restaurant I could be food poisoned. But, not knowing all the details of how my food has been prepared, or the trustworthiness of the one preparing it, I still eat the food the restaurant gives to me. And so on. Though the stakes are sometimes high, and without having all the evidence for our decisions we might like, we still manage to navigate all the potential jeopardy in relative safety.

The Bible has ample evidence in support of its claims:

Thematic unity.
Fulfilled prophecy.
Survivability.
Historical accuracy.
Impact upon human history.
Personal experience of multi-millions of people.
And so on.

Would you not be concerned if as a high school teacher, you were getting the same pass rates as him? Should the methods being used not be re-evaluated?

But this assumes that the role of a high school teacher parallels that of God and that the passing rates of the teacher pursue the same, or a similar, goal to that of the entrance rate of people into God's kingdom. Neither parallel is legitimate. God is not a high school teacher trying to get students to pass his class. Not hardly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John 1720

Harvest Worker
Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2013
Massachusetts
✟149,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am unable to study Gods Word without having to rely on others telling the truth. There is too much intentional lying and unintentional errors in every other aspect of our lives for me to accept second hand information without being able to personally verify it.
Hi Gumph,
Then I don't see how it will ever be possible for you to ever know Christ; for Jesus prayed to the Father for His Apostles and us to be sanctified but specifically said those who believe through their (those Disciples present) word.

Jesus Prays for His Disciples
John 17:6 “I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. 7 Now they have known that all things which You have given Me are from You. 8 For I have given to them the words which You have given Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came forth from You; and they have believed that You sent Me.
9 “I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. 10 And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are. 12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I come to You, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have My joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth. 18 As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.
Jesus Prays for All Believers
20I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; 21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23 I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.

When serving in the harvest field I have met those who have had visions and experienced miracles but that always brought them to seek more deeply for the words of the apostles and their words are found in the Bible. Shutting out their words is the same as shutting out Jesus in my opinion. I'll pray for you though.
In Christ,
John 1720

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
In my research into Christianity, I have been presented by much evidence that has been acceptable to the persons providing it to me.

I was wondering if there is anything I could look into that does not rely on me having to believe in or trust the words of someone else. Is there perhaps something that I could experience personally or any other suggestions?
TOTALLY AWESOME ! YES !

Wonderfully and miraculously so, yes!

Great question, btw.

Upvote 0