Evidence for Christianity

Faith24

Sep 24, 2010
✟799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you're a Christian and have already been convinced that Christianity is true based on the evidence, how do you convey that message to unbelievers? What are some of the evidence for Christianity that can at least challenge my worldview? Say, I'm a traditionalist and I follow Shamanism (I also believe in spirits), but I have no concept of God and Jesus or salvation etc. What can you give me (logic and evidence) to show me that I could be wrong and you are right? Or that the evidence support Christianity more. Hope that is clear if not just ask. Thanks!

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We need to see Jesus first hand, have Him spend time with us, listen to our issues, comfort us, assure us He will be there for us, and show us His great Love. The nonbeliever is to experience Christ in just that way living through Christians (Christ like people).

The desire and acceptance of this unique wonderful type Love is acceptance of God (since God is Love) and the rejection of this Love is rejection of God/Christ/Christianity.

If people have been trying to sell you on some “facts” then you may not have really “met” Jesus and His Love.

The evidence for a Christian is totally different (or it should be different), but this is not to be direct evidence for the nonbeliever. As a Christian my “proof” is the gift of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Since He dwells within me I cannot proof His existence to you unless you are convinced that the Love you see in me has to come from God. I know He is there because of the changes He has made in my life that I know I could not make on my own.

Upvote 0

Walter Kovacs

Justice is coming, no matter what we do.
Jan 22, 2011
Florida
Visit site
✟10,124.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
You're approaching it the wrong way. The burden is one of seeking, not proof. If you're looking for a sheet of data to convince you from a position you currently hold, I don't imagine I can give you anything to change your mind. One must be searching with all the heart, soul and mind, genuinely searching to see the kingdom of God.

"Biblically God hides Himself to all except to those who by His grace seek him with their whole heart, mind, soul, and strength sincerely and in truth. Not just the mind!!! If we seek Him fully He has promised to meet us on the road. There is no burden of proof, but a burden of seeking, not just with the mind, but with the whole being, a burden which cannot find fulfillment without grace. Grace not just to know, but to follow. Not just to enrich one's life, but to lose it." - from a friend of mine.

"Let them at least learn the nature of the religion they are attacking, before they attack it. If this religion boasted of having a clear vision of God, and of possessing Him plain and unveiled, then to say that nothing we see in the world reveals Him with this degree of clarity would indeed be to attack it. But it says, on the contrary, that man is in darkness and far from God, that He has hidden Himself from man's knowledge, and that the name He has given Himself in the Scriptures is in fact The Hidden God (Is 45:15). Therefore if it seeks to establish these two facts: that God has in the church erected visible signs by which those who sincerely seek Him may recognize Him, and that he has nevertheless so concealed them that He will only be perceived by those who seek Him with all their hearts, what advantage can the attackers gain when, while admitting that they neglect to seek for the truth, they yet cry that nothing reveals it? For the very darkness in which they lie, and for which they blame the Church, establishes one of her two claims, without invalidating the other, and also, far from destroying her doctrine, confirms it" (Blaise Pascal, Pensees, 335).

"Your fountain, Lord, is hidden from the person who does not thirst for You." -Ephrem the Syrian (Faith 32:2-3)

Isaiah 45:15-16
(ESV)
15 Truly, you are a God who hides himself,
O God of Israel, the Savior.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If you're a Christian and have already been convinced that Christianity is true based on the evidence, how do you convey that message to unbelievers? What are some of the evidence for Christianity that can at least challenge my worldview? Say, I'm a traditionalist and I follow Shamanism (I also believe in spirits), but I have no concept of God and Jesus or salvation etc. What can you give me (logic and evidence) to show me that I could be wrong and you are right? Or that the evidence support Christianity more. Hope that is clear if not just ask. Thanks!

First its a spiritual decision-so no matter how much circumstantial evidence I give you if your mind is already made up it won't matter. You must pray and ask God to open your spiritual eyes. I will share some info. anyway.

Research the credibility of the bible concerning overwhelming evidence which is very high compared to other religions even though it’s a spiritual decision first.
Visit: www.TheBibleProofBook.com, (you will need acrobat reader for this), read The Evidence That Demands A Verdict by Josh McDowell a former agnostic- (its overwhelming circumstantial evidence of bible) and Examine the Evidence by Muncaster a former athiest/The Case for Christ and The Real Jesus by Lee Strobel a former athiest. www.equip.org (articles), http://www.gotquestions.org/,

http://www.reasonableanswers.org/12-Eyewitnesses-of-the-resurrection.html
http://www.ucg.org/bible/jesus-resurrection/
http://www.gotquestions.org/canon-Bible.html
http://equip.org/articles/a-defense-of-sola-scriptura
http://equip.org/articles/bible-reliability

http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/b_proof.shtml
The Nature of God

I got more info-but it depends on your response.

Upvote 0

Biker Angel

Never coming back to this mad house
Sep 12, 2009
California
✟17,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The problem is that once you have proof and evidence of Christianity, then faith in no longer needed, and it's impossible to please God without faith. That's the beauty of being a Christian cause it's all based on faith.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Biker for Christ said:
The problem is that once you have proof and evidence of Christianity, then faith in no longer needed, and it's impossible to please God without faith. That's the beauty of being a Christian cause it's all based on faith.

That would be a bit of problem for, say, Mary Mags standing there with the risen Jesus physically in front of her.

Christian faith is not opposed to evidence.

Reactions: Willtor
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

'To the believer, proof is not necessary; to the unbeliever, it is not possible.'

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Why does doubting Thomas only believe when he sees physical evidence?

If there is no evidence that Jesus is divine then there is no reason to believe he is, just as there is no evidence that there are fairies dancing on the moon, so no one believes such fairies exist.

No one believes anything without having a reason for the belief. The reason is in the form of evidence, often physical but sometimes experiential.

Experiential evidence (ie testimony) does nothing to convince another person. So saying, "You just have to go experience Jesus for yourself" is not very compelling or convincing.

Physical evidence is the only thing that holds water when trying to convince someone of a position.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If there is no evidence that Jesus is divine then there is no reason to believe he is, just as there is no evidence that there are fairies dancing on the moon, so no one believes such fairies exist.

No one believes anything without having a reason for the belief. The reason is in the form of evidence, often physical but sometimes experiential.

Experiential evidence (ie testimony) does nothing to convince another person. So saying, "You just have to go experience Jesus for yourself" is not very compelling or convincing.

Physical evidence is the only thing that holds water when trying to convince someone of a position.
read my post 2.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

God appears to usually chose to not give physical evidence. You and I are just going to have to work with what we have.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Faith24. In Matthew, chapter 22, verses 35-40, Jesus tells a Lawyer: "The first and great Commandment is: Love thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." Then Jesus points out: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." We start by treating all we know and all we meet as we would love to be treated, with kindness, consideration, encouraging words, a helping hand if needed, and generally being a good neighbour. God will see our sincere efforts, and He will approve and bless us. God told us: By following My Words to love and care, you show your Love to me. The World will notice, and hopefully join us. Love is a mighty weapon, selfless and benefical. Jesus told us simply and helpfully, and Love will grow and take over: If We Let It. I say this with love, Faith24. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think evidence that points to the Christian religion is what everyone grapples with. We are born with a tremendous sense of moral right & wrong. Universally, everyone's morals are recognized as being similar. Looking at how Christianity's enemies behave and the things they try to come up with, such as 'Social Biology' to try to counter Christianity's strongest argument that they have been tormented by for so very long.

I think this argument of evidence separates the Christian religion from all the others. The objective morality agument.

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Originally Posted by Cuddles222
I think evidence that points to the Christian religion is what everyone grapples with. We are born with a tremendous sense of moral right & wrong. Universally, everyone's morals are recognized as being similar. Looking at how Christianity's enemies behave and the things they try to come up with, such as 'Social Biology' to try to counter Christianity's strongest argument that they have been tormented by for so very long.

I think this argument of evidence separates the Christian religion from all the others. The objective morality agument.
<staff edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Faith24. Selfless Love and freely given, to God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds, and to our neighbour, ( all we know and all we meet, friends or no friends) As we love ourselves. St.Paul describes Love in 1) Corinthians, chapter 13, verses 4-8. " Love suffereth long and is kind, Love does not envy, and Love does not show off, Love does not behave unseemly, and does not seek her own, Love is not easily provoked, and thinks no evil. Love does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth. Love bears all things and believes all things, hopes for all things and endures all things, and Love never fails." The Bible tells us again and again: " Repent," change our selfish and unloving character Into: Loving God with all our beings, and loving our neighbour as Paul reminds us. Christianity is also a loving relationship between our Heavenly Father and His loving children/sons and daughters. We are in this World to learn to love as God wants us to love, and God will see and notice our love for our neighbour, and God will approve and bless us. And by following God`s Commandments to love selflessly, with hands and hearts, ( when needed) God will know that we love Him and follow His Commandments. Jesus will give us His Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will give us His Love to share with all our neighbours. Christianity is the Love which this imperfect World needs, and Love is always Victorious. I say this with assurance and love, Faith24. Greetings from Emmy sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MOD HAT ON

This thread has undergone a minor clean up. If one or more of your posts are missing, they were a part of the clean up. PM me with questions.

PLEASE NOTE - If you are a non-Christian and are not the OP (original poster) in this thread, you may not post in this thread. If you have questions you want answered/discussed then please create your own thread.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Faith24. Jesus said: " The first and great Commandment is: Love thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." Then Jesus states this fact: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God is Love, and God wants us to become His loving children/sons and daughters, Jesus died out of Love for God and for us- His followers, and Christianity worldwide, proves that Love, selfless and beneficial, is the Christian`s weapon to conquer. Love conquers All, and Love overcomes All, and Love will lead us on. We will follow Jesus our Saviour and Leader, and He is our sure Way back to God`s Kingdom, our original Home. I say this with love and blessed assurance, Faith24. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Faith24

Sep 24, 2010
✟799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're approaching it the wrong way. The burden is one of seeking, not proof. If you're looking for a sheet of data to convince you from a position you currently hold, I don't imagine I can give you anything to change your mind. One must be searching with all the heart, soul and mind, genuinely searching to see the kingdom of God.

"Biblically God hides Himself to all except to those who by His grace seek him with their whole heart, mind, soul, and strength sincerely and in truth. Not just the mind!!! If we seek Him fully He has promised to meet us on the road. There is no burden of proof, but a burden of seeking, not just with the mind, but with the whole being, a burden which cannot find fulfillment without grace. Grace not just to know, but to follow. Not just to enrich one's life, but to lose it." - from a friend of mine.

"Let them at least learn the nature of the religion they are attacking, before they attack it. If this religion boasted of having a clear vision of God, and of possessing Him plain and unveiled, then to say that nothing we see in the world reveals Him with this degree of clarity would indeed be to attack it. But it says, on the contrary, that man is in darkness and far from God, that He has hidden Himself from man's knowledge, and that the name He has given Himself in the Scriptures is in fact The Hidden God (Is 45:15). Therefore if it seeks to establish these two facts: that God has in the church erected visible signs by which those who sincerely seek Him may recognize Him, and that he has nevertheless so concealed them that He will only be perceived by those who seek Him with all their hearts, what advantage can the attackers gain when, while admitting that they neglect to seek for the truth, they yet cry that nothing reveals it? For the very darkness in which they lie, and for which they blame the Church, establishes one of her two claims, without invalidating the other, and also, far from destroying her doctrine, confirms it" (Blaise Pascal, Pensees, 335).

"Your fountain, Lord, is hidden from the person who does not thirst for You." -Ephrem the Syrian (Faith 32:2-3)

Isaiah 45:15-16
(ESV)
15 Truly, you are a God who hides himself,
O God of Israel, the Savior.

That's true. It's presupposition. Christians already believe in God based on the testimony of scriptures alone. Once they become a believer, then they use inductive reasoning to argue for God based on classical arguments. But if one start from classical arguments and attempt to argue to God, then the conclusion can be almost anything you want it to be- aliens maybe? Christians may say it's God. Atheist may say it's aliens. But the reasons are different.

Upvote 0

Faith24

Sep 24, 2010
✟799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Great! Can you show me how the moral argument argues for God? I'm not too aware of that argument. Thanks.

Upvote 0