Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Every Friday

“Do you think he’ll come today?”

“It’s Friday, isn’t it?”

“What are you two talking about?”

“The man who comes to see Charlie. He’s the only one who’s ever been here to see Charlie. Charlie’s wife died a few years ago and his son was killed in Vietnam. As far as anyone knows they were the only family Charlie ever had.”

“Then who’s this guy? And why does he come to the nursing home each week and sit and feed Charlie when everyone knows that Charlie can’t recognize anyone anymore?”

“That’s what I’ve been wondering. I think I’ve finally gotten up enough nerve to ask him when he comes today.”

“Well, now’s your chance, because here he comes.”

Down the hall walked a well-dressed man who appeared to be in his fifties. The spring in his step showed that he was happy to be there.

“How are you today, sir?”

“Fine, nurse. And yourself?”

“Couldn’t be better.”

“Me, either,” the man replied as he continued down the hall to Charlie’s room.

“I thought you said you were going to ask him,” Danielle, the young nurse, said to Margaret.

“I’m going to ask him, but I’m going to wait until he leaves. Don’t let him get past me.”

“I won’t! I want to know, too!”

Margaret headed down the hall. As she passed Charlie’s room she heard the stranger say, “You’re looking good today, Charlie. I see you’re having cream of tomato soup. I know that’s one of your favorites.”

Margaret headed down the hall checking on each patient’s needs. She did her best to see that the mysterious man did not get away before she found out how he was connected to Charlie.

“Margaret!”

Margaret looked up and saw Danielle hurrying toward her.

‘Yes, Danielle. What is it?”

“I think he’s getting ready to leave.”

“Thanks, Danielle. Can you stay with Edith for a few minutes?”

“I’d be happy to.”

Margaret headed up the hall and arrived at Charlie’s room just as the mysterious man walked out.

“You have a good weekend, nurse.”

“You, too, sir. By the way, sir. Some of us are curious about something.”

“You want to know my connection to Charlie. Right?”

“How did you guess?”

“Well, it’s no secret that Charlie has no family left.”

“I hope you don’t mind me asking.”

“Not at all. Actually, I have two connections to Charlie. First of all, Charlie’s son saved my life in Vietnam. He pushed me out of the way of a sniper’s bullet and ended up taking the bullet himself. I had trouble living with that. I came home and got a job, but I turned to drugs, lost my job, and all my family disowned me.”

“And Charlie took you in?”

“In a way, but not exactly. I ended up on the streets and then at a homeless shelter. Every Friday, Charlie came to the homeless shelter and served lunch. Not only did he serve us lunch, but he talked to us like we were just as good as he was. I found out his name and put two and two together. When I told Charlie that his son Jerry saved my life in Vietnam, he began to treat me like a son. He helped me clean up my act and find the Lord. He even helped me get a job.

I got a promotion and moved away, but Charlie and I kept in touch. When his wife died, I took some time off work and came back for her funeral.”

“After a while I didn’t hear from Charlie any more. I didn’t know what happened to him. Finally, I was able to find out that Charlie had had a stroke. I knew Charlie didn’t have anyone to take care of him, so I managed to get a job transfer to a city nearby. Since I work a four day work week, I have Fridays off. Now I can do for Charlie what he did for me.”

“And for me and a lot of others.”

“Huh? I don’t understand.”

“You say you’re a Christian. Surely you know the story of the one leper who went back and thanked Jesus. Not only do I think of you as the leper who went back and thanked Jesus, but one who went and served in the leper colony, as well. Stories such as yours inspire people to go and do likewise. I’m off on Tuesdays. Edith doesn’t have anyone, either. I bet she could use a lunchtime companion.”

Copyright 2002 Steve Demaree

=====
Steve Demaree
1608 Summerhill Drive
Lexington, KY 40515
(606) 271-2416
moviesteve@rocketmail.com
Submitted by Richard