Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is it OK for someone who is financially not poor (as in not receiving or eligible for welfare) but not well-off either - just starting out - to purchase clothing and furniture at thrift stores? It seems to be a popular choice in the US for college students and recent grads who get their own places for the first time. I thought thrift stores were supposed to serve the poor, though. Non-judgmentally, I ask - if you believe it is OK for someone who isn't poor but is just starting out to shop at a thrift store, why? And how much does the presence or absence of debt affect your belief?

Reactions: brinny

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
of COURSE it is!!!!! PLEASE, buy from these wunnerful places! They support jobs for the disabled, etc, and these stores, if they do well, can expand into other locations. Please encourage your friends, family, etc. to patronize them, and when you have things you can donate, please donate to them.

They are a Godsend.

Patronize them my brother.

God bless you :)

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I believe God expects us to be financially responsible. We have no unnecessary debt and do not spend beyond our means - and for us, this means we shop at thrift stores - although we do not get a whole lot of things we don't need. We also donate to them when we are able. We try to shop at thrift stores that have a good purpose - supporting recovery homes, missions, etc. rather than the for-profit ones.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's an interesting question, but unless the store in question makes a point of saying "this stuff is only for those who cannot afford better," I'd say there is no moral issue. The usual thrift stores seem to want to move their merchandise as quickly as possible and, in fact, need to do that. And each sale--from whoever it comes--helps the poor to the extent that the store uses the profits for their benefit.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Is it OK for someone who is financially not poor (as in not receiving or eligible for welfare) but not well-off either - just starting out - to purchase clothing and furniture at thrift stores? It seems to be a popular choice in the US for college students and recent grads who get their own places for the first time. I thought thrift stores were supposed to serve the poor, though. Non-judgmentally, I ask - if you believe it is OK for someone who isn't poor but is just starting out to shop at a thrift store, why? And how much does the presence or absence of debt affect your belief?

Yes, it's okay.

I regularly shop at thrift stores, & the benefit extends beyond just finding goods at low prices, regardless of a person's financial situation.

For one as Christians we are called to care for the earth, & by shopping at thrift stores we can reuse-recycle items.

Also, many thrift stores use their earnings to help the less fortunate, which is also something important to Christians.

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Ethically if I need something I check if the local Charity Shops [UK] and places that reuse items that would otherwise end up in landfill have it. This means money then goes back into a charity or I have found a new use for something that would otherwise be seen only as trash.

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't really know where you got the impression that thrift stores are for the poor. To my knowledge they are for any and everybody. Not everybody is randomly shopping. There are collectors who make it a habit to peruse thrift stores. There are sellers on ebay who get a lot of their inventory from thrift stores. If you have an "eye" for antiques and vintage/retro you can make some real money. It's not just something being cheaper but some older models of some items are actually better. There are also items that are no longer being made that you might be able to find. It's not an issue of debt to me as much as it is trying to be frugal AND get the most for your money. I don't like buying things over and over again. Now a days so many items just seem disposable. I like some older items because they were built to last. So yes poor people are shopping at thrift stores but so is some of everybody else. Also there aren't just used items at a thrift store. There are many new items as well because local regular dept. stores many times donate inventory that has timed out. I would say go to several thrift stores and enjoy your shopping experience.

I hope that helps :)

Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I happen to know a lady who's loaded and shops at thrift stores. Her beautiful home is furnished with mostly thrift store furniture, knickknacks, decor, and accessories, and you would never know it just by casually observing. It's because she has an eye for knowing the right things to buy.

I myself love thrift stores. To me, they sometimes can prove to be gold mines. I like to look for CDs, tapes, books, pinbacks, postcards, and other odd-and-end things that might strike my interest. I even get clothes sometimes, provided they're in good shape. There are some things, of course, that I would never buy from a thrift store (in fact, I don't think they should be carried at all): hosiery, underwear, brushes, combs, and hair accessories.

Upvote 0

pinkjess

There she goes...at the speed of sound
Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Thrift stores are the bomb. I get almost all my clothes from one resale store just right up the road from me. They help support a nearby pregnancy center for young women (with a Christ-centered mission). You never know what cool stuff you can find at one!!! I've found clothes you can buy at the mall for $$$ for a fraction of what they originally cost.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
At one point I was involved in an organization that helps women and kids who have been in domestic violence situations. It involved shelter, counseling, and a thrift store. What they did was allow the women and children to have whatever they needed from the thrift store for free, whether they were coming into the shelter with nothing, or moving into their own home with a fresh start. Everyone in the community was encouraged to shop there because the more business they had, the more they could financially support the operation. They had some very nice things donated, and every spring they would have a huge auction for expensive items. One year someone donated a 1000.00 purse, and it sold at auction for 1500.00.

I think generally speaking, they need costumers from all walks of life.

Upvote 0