Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Harry, you are out of sync with your denomination.

I am a Christian who happens to attend a Methodist church. My only criteria for picking a church to attend is that it adheres to what the Bible teaches; it doesn't mean I may necessarily subscribe to all the doctrines of the denomination as a whole.

While Methodists stress positive messages, never the less eternal torment is part of Methodist doctrine. A Methodist pastor in North Carolina was fired last year for expressing disbelief in eternal torment.

It is not uncommon for the doctrines of men to take precedence over what the Bible actually teaches.

Also something to consider is the fact that the great majority of annihilationists here in this thread also do not believe in an afterlife. That is also contrary to Methodist doctrine. Disbelief in both an afterlife and in eternal torment go hand-in-hand for these people, arrived at by essentially the same reasoning. Is that also the case with you?

The Bible clearly teaches an afterlife for the saved.

As to destroying body and soul in Gehenna, what about the spirit? What happens to it?

Frankly, the difference between spirit and soul is something I do not yet understand. The soul dies in the second death ... as to the spirit I don't know.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:doh:
ἀφανισμός, ἀφανισμοῦ, ὁ (D2 — once in GNT, Heb. 8:13)
Noun: "the condition of being no longer visible; destruction, annihilation" Cognate of ἀφανής ("invisible, hidden"). It would indicate a total destruction, with nothing left to be seen.

ἀφανίζω (5 times in GNT)
Verb: "destroy, ruin; make invisible, make unrecognizable" "Cause something to disappear [thus destroy, ruin]; Passive frequently in active sense be destroyed, perish, disappear; Cause to become unrecognizable through change in appearance" (BDAG3). Cognate of ἀφανής ("invisible, hidden").
ἀφανιῶ, Future, or
ἀφανίσω, Future
ἀφανισθήσομαι, Future Passive
ἀφανίσθην, 1st Aorist Passive
ἀφάνεια, ἀφάνειας, ἡ (noun): "annihilation, destruction; invisibility"

ἄφαντος, ἄφαντον (2-2 type — once in GNT, Luke 24:31)
Adjective: "invisible" Cognate of ἀφανής ("invisible, hidden"). In Luke 24:31, καὶ Αὐτὸς ἄφαντος ἐγένετο ἀπ᾽ αὐτῶν ("and He became invisible from them") = "and He vanished from their sight." "Chiefly in poets, then also in prose" (BDAG3).

καθαιρέω (καθαιρῶ — 9 times in GNT)
Verb: "take down, pull down, throw down, tear down; demolish, destroy, degrade; overthrow, conquer"
καθαιρήσω, Future, or,
καθελῶ, Future
καθεῖλον, 2nd Aorist
καθαίρεσις, καθαίρεσεως, ἡ (noun): "a taking down; demolition; overthrow"

καταλύω (17 times in GNT)
Verb: "destroy, break down, throw down, demolish; nullify, subvert (governments or laws by loosing their bonds, and bringing them down); stop for the night (loose load or garments, then put them down)"
καταλύσω, Future
κατέλυσα, 1st Aorist
κατελύθην, 1st Aorist Passive
καταλυθήσεται, 1st Future Passive

καταργέω (καταργῶ — 27 times in GNT)
Verb: "render useless or unproductive, destroy, nullify (bring down to inactivity, inoperation, ineffectiveness); do away with, cast down (as useless or unprofitable); use up or deplete (resources); release (from law, i.e., the law is rendered inapplicable to, or inoperative upon one)"
καταργήσω, Future
κατήργησα, 1st Aorist
κατήργηκα, Perfect
κατήργημαι, Perfect Middle/Passive
κατηργήθην, 1st Aorist Passive

φθείρω (9 times in GNT)
Verb: "ruin or destroy (implying by defiling, corrupting, spoiling, wasting away, decaying); spoil, decay, waste away; corrupt, cause moral decay"
φθερῶ, Future
ἔφθειρα, 1st Aorist
ἔφθαρκα, Perfect
ἐφθάρην, 2nd Aorist Passive
φθαρήσομαι, 2nd Future Passive
φθείρομαι, Present Middle/Passive

ἀναλόω (Alternate form: ἀναλίσκω — twice in GNT, Luke 9:54; Gal. 5:15)
Verb: "consume, destroy, annihilate" Compound of ἀνά ("up") and ἁλίσκω (possibly means: "capture [an enemy], conquer, catch, seize, kill; convict, condemn"). "Do away with something completely by using up" (BDAG3), like a consuming fire, a destructive relationship. Alternate form: ἀναλίσκω.
ἀναλώσω, Future
ἀνήλωσα, 1st Aorist
ἀναλωθήσομαι, Future Passive
ἀνηλώθην, 1st Aorist Passive
ἀνήλωμαι, Perfect Passive

ἀπόλλυμι
Verb: "destroy, ruin; kill, bring to an end; lose or fail to obtain [something]" Middle: "be destroyed or ruined; perish, die, be put to death; be lost, stray" Opposite of σώζω ("save, rescue"). It often seems to indicate being separated from someone or something in a manner involving some kind of violence, destruction, grievous loss or death. Compound of ἀπό ("from, removed from") and ὄλλυμι ("destroy, bring to an end; [of things] be lost, lose; kill, lose life [especially through violent death]"). Root Stem: απολε , Present Stem: απολλυ , Aorist stem, augment lengthens ο: απωλε
ἀπώλλυον, Imperfect
ἀπολέσω, Future, or,
ἀπολῶ, Future
ἀπώλεσα, 1st Aorist
ἀπολώλεκα, Perfect
ἀπολοῦμαι, Future Middle
ἀπωλόμην, 2nd Aorist Middle
ἀπόλωλα, 2nd Perfect Middle/Passive

verses please? I don't believe you use all of those words as it relates to verses for annihilationism.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are the words there or not? They are there and it is ridiculous IMO to think 'oh, we can just ignore those passages because they keep using the same few words'.

well then there is also eternal hell in matthew 25:41, 46 so are we to ignore all of those greek words?

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
well then there is also eternal hell in matthew 25:41, 46 so are we to ignore all of those greek words?

"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels."

None of the words for 'hell' are used in these passages. I think it is the lake of fire that is being referred to here. They do speak of 'everlasting fire' and 'everlasting punishment'; death is a punishment and everlasting death is everlasting punishment.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You were implying that modern usage of words could be used to show meanings those words could have had thousands of years ago.

If what your saying is true however, the Catholics need to make sure instead of praying the Hail Mary maybe they should go out side and start slinging the crap out of some footballs.
Clearly letting the "dead bury the dead" is not a reference to zombies. That was said thousands of years ago and the meaning clearly understood by those that heard it.

So to imagine people 2 thousand years ago only understood "dead" as "just dead" or "non-existent" is not supported by what we know is recorded in Scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only criteria that matters is 'does what we believe match what the Bible says'. Scripture interprets scripture and when we do as God commands and 'study to show ourselves approved' we will come to an understanding of the truth in most areas (there are some concepts that are hard to understand in the Bible). The evidence that the wicked will suffer eternal torment is scant at best and depends on putting meaning on such passages as 'the smoke of their torment will rise forever', 'where their worm does not die', the lake of 'eternal' fire that is strained at best and ignoring passages such as 'the wages of sin is DEATH' or 'the soul that sinneth shall DIE'.

If it were that easy, why would scripture record a man needing help understanding what scripture says?

The problem is not can I fi a scripture that supports a view. We all obviously do that. I would think the problem would be on having to say things like some scriptures, such as the ones refered to above, are "scant evidence at best" and require us to put "meaning" to them ( as if those have no meaning and therefore do not interfere with the position taken).

If I were to take a position that says never mind scripture has "scant evidence" against that position, it should occur to me to wonder why I am allowed to discard ANY "scant evidence" in scripture in order to support that position. I would also think the more I have to do that, at some point I would have to wonder if my position is correct.

So no, I do not agree that scripture interprets scripture. And no, I do think that all one needs to do is find verses to sling at people and declare victory. Especially when the opposing view is using the same verses. Obviously someone has it wrong and arguing about the meaning of those verses really does not further the debate.

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
If it were that easy, why would scripture record a man needing help understanding what scripture says?

The ultimate help in understanding scripture is God's Holy Spirit. Someone who is blinded to the truth can read scripture diligently and come no closer to understanding.

The problem is not can I fi a scripture that supports a view. We all obviously do that.
Even Satan quotes scripture for his own purposes.

I would think the problem would be on having to say things like some scriptures, such as the ones refered to above, are "scant evidence at best" and require us to put "meaning" to them ( as if those have no meaning and therefore do not interfere with the position taken).
There are positions on the meaning of scripture (such as eternal torment in hell) that rely on scant evidence to sustain themselves (such as the smoke of their TORMENT shall rise forever or their worm shall not die) when OBVIOUS scripture states the, well, OBVIOUS such as the wages of sin is DEATH or the soul that sinneth shall DIE. It's just like those who insist Jesus taught that we are never to judge (judge not lest ye be judged) when there are numerous passages which demand we exercise judgment and even the context in Matthew 7 where 'judge not' is found reveals that Jesus is calling for us to not judge as a HYPOCRITE and is not a call for men to not judge at all.

If I were to take a position that says never mind scripture has "scant evidence" against that position, it should occur to me to wonder why I am allowed to discard ANY "scant evidence" in scripture in order to support that position. I would also think the more I have to do that, at some point I would have to wonder if my position is correct.
This is why we strive to get scripture in the CONTEXT in which it is given and consider other relevant scripture. It also behooves us to try to understand the culture in which the words or phrases are used as this can help in understanding their meaning. Kind of like what it means to be 'gay'. There was a time when that word had nothing to do with being homosexual so referring to Clark Gable for example as being gay would mean he was lighthearted and jovial and NOT mean he was homosexual.

So no, I do not agree that scripture interprets scripture.
That's unfortunate.

And no, I do think that all one needs to do is find verses to sling at people and declare victory.
We should not be going into scripture with preconceived ideas (or we should at least consider we may have preconceived ideas and be on the alert to let scripture lead us to what God teaches rather than running with our preconceived ideas and only looking for scripture which supports these ideas ... for example those misguided folks who support the government welfare/entitlement programs ie the 'social safety net' that men have erected thinking they are fulfilling Jesus' call for us to care for the poor and needy but in their support having to deny that the scripture which tells us 'thou shalt not covet, thou shalt not steal, love thy neighbor' is in any way being violated although it clearly is).

Especially when the opposing view is using the same verses. Obviously someone has it wrong and arguing about the meaning of those verses really does not further the debate.
This is why we consider ALL relevant scripture. In the debate over the fate of the wicked, only THREE entities are specifically mentioned as suffering the fate of eternal torment. There are passages that are taken out of context to suggest that this is the fate of all lost men (such as the eternal LAKE OF FIRE ... it is the lake of fire that is eternal, not the suffering of the lost who are thrown into the lake of fire OR the rather breath taking claim that death is not a punishment and that eternal death is NOT an eternal punishment).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels."

None of the words for 'hell' are used in these passages. I think it is the lake of fire that is being referred to here. They do speak of 'everlasting fire' and 'everlasting punishment'; death is a punishment and everlasting death is everlasting punishment.

what is your proof, since you are straying off the beaten path, of these claims? (hell is not the lake of fire)

the burden of proof always lies with the extraordinary

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
what is your proof, since you are straying off the beaten path, of these claims? (hell is not the lake of fire)

the burden of proof always lies with the extraordinary

There are four words used in the Bible to denote hell (Gehenna, Sheol, Hades and Tartaroo) and NONE of these words are used in the passage you cited. And clearly hell is not the lake of fire since Revelation tells us hell is thrown into the lake of fire. The burden of proof? Have you never heard of a 'concordance' such as Strongs and bothered to actually LOOK at the original words being used in a passage? What I did with your reference to Matthew 25:41 is use Google and typed in 'Strong's concordance Matthew 25:41' which led to this page KJV w/ Strong's Concordance - Matthew 25 and the passage you cited [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Then 5119 shall he say 2046 5692 also 2532 unto them on 1537 the left hand 2176, Depart 4198 5737 from 575 me 1700, ye cursed 2672 5772, into 1519 everlasting 166 fire 4442, prepared 2090 5772 for the devil 1228 and 2532 his 846 angels. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The[/FONT] 'fire' referred to is the word 'pur' ... :
Word: pur
Pronounce: poor
Strongs Number: G4442
Orig: a primary word; "fire" (literally or figuratively, specially, lightning):--fiery, fire.
Use: TDNT-6:928,975 Noun Neuter

and NOT any of the words for hell ... so how did you come to the conclusion that Matthew 25:41 was referring to hell?

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are four words used in the Bible to denote hell (Gehenna, Sheol, Hades and Tartaroo) and NONE of these words are used in the passage you cited. And clearly hell is not the lake of fire since Revelation tells us hell is thrown into the lake of fire. The burden of proof? Have you never heard of a 'concordance' such as Strongs and bothered to actually LOOK at the original words being used in a passage? What I did with your reference to Matthew 25:41 is use Google and typed in 'Strong's concordance Matthew 25:41' which led to this page KJV w/ Strong's Concordance - Matthew 25 and the passage you cited [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Then 5119 shall he say 2046 5692 also 2532 unto them on 1537 the left hand 2176, Depart 4198 5737 from 575 me 1700, ye cursed 2672 5772, into 1519 everlasting 166 fire 4442, prepared 2090 5772 for the devil 1228 and 2532 his 846 angels. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The[/FONT] 'fire' referred to is the word 'pur' ... :
Word: pur
Pronounce: poor
Strongs Number: G4442
Orig: a primary word; "fire" (literally or figuratively, specially, lightning):--fiery, fire.
Use: TDNT-6:928,975 Noun Neuter

and NOT any of the words for hell ... so how did you come to the conclusion that Matthew 25:41 was referring to hell?
the fires of matthew 25 do not prove they are the lake of fire, simply because they say fire. Are the fires of sodom and gommorah also the lake of fire? You see my point.

secondly, revelation 20:14 by your own tactic states that Hades, not the final hell that was cast into the lake of fire.

so the burden of proof still lies on you, with the unorthodox claims.

I await a response.

the_underworld.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
revelation 20:14 by your own tactic states that Hades, not hell was cast into the lake of fire.

Hades, Sheol, Gehenna and Tartaroo are ALL translated into 'hell' in the English. YOU are the one who claimed that Matthew 25:41 was talking about 'hell' when none of the words for hell are used in that passage. And since you want to play games, 'hell' does appear in Revelation 20:14 in my King James version of the bible and when we go to Strong's concordance we find that 'hell' here, in the original language is
Word: Adhj
Pronounce: hah'-dace
Strongs Number: G86
Orig: from 1 (as negative particle) and 1492; properly, unseen, i.e. "Hades" or the place (state) of departed souls:--grave, hell. G1
Use: TDNT-1:146,22 Noun Location
Heb Strong: H1745 H4191 H4194 H6757 H7585

1. 1) name Hades or Pluto, the god of the lower regions
    2) Orcus, the nether world, the realm of the dead
    3) later use of this word: the grave, death, hell

In Biblical Greek it is associated with Orcus, the infernal regions, a dark and dismal place in the very depths of the earth, the common receptacle of disembodied spirits. Usually Hades is just the abode of the wicked, Lu 16:23; Re 20:13,14; a very uncomfortable place. TDNT.

... and is referring to Hades.

so the burden of proof still lies on you, with the unorthodox claims.

What is 'unorthodox' are the doctrines of men that are embraced as God's truth such as eternal torment of lost men when the Bible says NO SUCH THING! What about 'the wages of sin is DEATH' or 'the soul that sinneth shalt DIE' leads you to believe that lost men will be tormented forever? These are very simple and concise statements and can IN NO WAY be construed to mean that lost men will be tormented forever. What does it matter that a great many professing Christians believe otherwise ... God's truth does not depend on how many people believe it.

I await a response.

You have it ... and you might want to ponder IF the lake of fire is 'hell', what can Revelation 20:14 possibly mean? "and death and hell were cast into the lake of fire, this is the SECOND DEATH" ... it makes no sense that hell is thrown into hell.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hades, Sheol, Gehenna and Tartaroo are ALL translated into 'hell' in the English. YOU are the one who claimed that Matthew 25:41 was talking about 'hell' when none of the words for hell are used in that passage. And since you want to play games, 'hell' does appear in Revelation 20:14 in my King James version of the bible and when we go to Strong's concordance we find that 'hell' here, in the original language is
Word: Adhj
Pronounce: hah'-dace
Strongs Number: G86
Orig: from 1 (as negative particle) and 1492; properly, unseen, i.e. "Hades" or the place (state) of departed souls:--grave, hell. G1
Use: TDNT-1:146,22 Noun Location
Heb Strong: H1745 H4191 H4194 H6757 H7585

1. 1) name Hades or Pluto, the god of the lower regions
    2) Orcus, the nether world, the realm of the dead
    3) later use of this word: the grave, death, hell

In Biblical Greek it is associated with Orcus, the infernal regions, a dark and dismal place in the very depths of the earth, the common receptacle of disembodied spirits. Usually Hades is just the abode of the wicked, Lu 16:23; Re 20:13,14; a very uncomfortable place. TDNT.

What is 'unorthodox' are the doctrines of men that are embraced as God's truth such as eternal torment of lost men when the Bible says NO SUCH THING! What about 'the wages of sin is DEATH' or 'the soul that sinneth shalt DIE' leads you to believe that lost men will be tormented forever? These are very simple and concise statements and can IN NO WAY be construed to mean that lost men will be tormented forever. What does it matter that a great many professing Christians believe otherwise ... God's truth does not depend on how many people believe it.

1. strongs itself is a laymans resource and not very "strong" in light of these literal translations:
    1. 14and the death and the hades were cast to the lake of the fire- Young, R. (1997). Young's literal translation (Re 20:14). Oak Harbor: Logos Research Systems.
    2. 14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.-The Holy Bible : English standard version. 2001 (Re 20:14). Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.
    3. 20:14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death – the lake of fire- Biblical Studies Press. (2006; 2006). The NET Bible First Edition; Bible. English. NET Bible.; The NET Bible (Re 20:14). Biblical Studies Press.
    4. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. -New American Standard Bible : 1995 update. 1995 (Re 20:14). LaHabra, CA: The Lockman Foundation.
    5. και ο θανατος και ο αδης εβληθησαν εις την λιμνην του πυρος ουτος ο θανατος ο δευτερος εστιν η λιμνη του πυρος-Tischendorf, C. v. (1997, c1869-1894). Vol. 3 vol.: Tischendorf's Greek New Testament (electronic ed. of the 8th ed.) (Re 20:14). Oak Harbor: Logos Research Systems.
    6. και ο θανατος και ο αδης εβληθησαν εις την λιμνην του πυρος ουτος εστιν ο δευτερος θανατος -Stephanus. (1995). Stephen's 1550 Textus Receptus . (Re 20:14). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.
    7. και ο θανατος και ο αδης εβληθησαν εις την λιμνην του πυρος ουτος εστιν ο δευτερος θανατος -Stephen's 1550 Textus Receptus : With morphology. 2002 (Re 20:14). Bellingham: Logos Research Systems.
    8. και ο θανατος και ο αδης εβληθησαν εις την λιμνην του πυρος ουτος ο θανατος ο δευτερος εστιν η λιμνη του πυρος-Westcott, B. F., & Hort, F. J. A. (1996). 1881 Westcott-Hort Greek New Testament (Re 20:14). Oak Harbor WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

You have it ... and you might want to ponder IF the lake of fire is 'hell', what can Revelation 20:14 possibly mean? "and death and hell were cast into the lake of fire, this is the SECOND DEATH" ... it makes no sense that hell is thrown into hell.

actually it does, because they both burn and the final hell/gehennah surpases the hell of hades/sheol.

here is a definition of hades:

86. ᾅδης hádēs; gen. hádou, masc. noun from the priv. a (1), not, and ideín, the inf. of the 2d aor. eídō (1492), to see. In Homer and Hesiod the word is spelled Haïdé̄s meaning obscure, dark, invisible. Hades, the region of departed spirits of the lost (Luke 16:23).
    It corresponds to Sheol in the OT which occurs 59 times. In the NT, Hádēs occurs only 10 times. ...Three of the occurrences are on Christ’s lips (Matt. 11:23 [with Luke 10:15]; Matt. 16:18; Luke 16:23). In two of these, the words are obviously used in a figurative sense: in the case of Capernaum to express an absolute overthrow, a humiliation as deep as the former loftiness and pride had been great; in the case of the Church, to express a security which shall be proof against death and destruction. The third occurrence, in the story of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19–31), is of a different kind and has even been taken to put our Lord’s confirmation on the Jewish idea of two compartments in Hades, distinct from and yet near one another. In Acts 2:27, 31, the word Hádēs occurs in a quotation from Ps. 16:10 in an application of OT faith in the advent of Christ, His death, and His resurrection. Therefore, it has again the meaning of the world of the departed into which Christ passed like other men, but only to transform its nature from a place accommodating both believers and unbelievers to one for unbelievers only (Matt. 11:23; 16:18; Luke 10:15; 1Cor. 15:55; Rev. 1:18; 6:8; 20:13, 14).
    In all the NT passages except Matt. 11:23; Luke 10:15, Hades is associated with death. It expresses the general concept of the invisible world or abode into which the spirits of men are ushered immediately after death. The prevalent idea connected with it in its association with death are those of privation, detention, and just recompense. The thought of the relative reward of good is subordinate, if expressed at all, to the retribution of evil and to the penal character pertaining to Hades as the minister of death. In none of the passages in which the word itself occurs have we any disclosures or even hints of purgatorial fires, purifying processes, or extended operations of grace.
    The state of human beings in Hades is immediate and irreversible after death, although it does not constitute the eternal state, for Hades itself later becomes the exclusive place for unbelievers. It is cast into the lake of fire (Rev. 20:14), while the reign of the just becomes paradise (Luke 23:43; 2[bless and do not curse]Cor. 12:4; Rev. 2:7) which is ultimately absorbed into the final heaven (Rev. 21:1). Our Lord conclusively teaches in the story of the rich man and Lazarus that there is no possibility of repentance after death. It is in this light that 1Pet. 3:18–20 should be viewed (cf. phulaké̄ [5438], prison).
    Unfortunately, both the OT and NT words have been translated in the kjv as “hell” (Ps. 16:10) or the “grave” (Gen. 37:35) or the “pit” (Num. 16:30, 33). Hades never denotes the physical grave nor is it the permanent region of the lost. It is the intermediate state between death and the ultimate hell, Gehenna (Géenna [1067]). Christ declares that He has the keys of Hades (Rev. 1:18). In Rev. 6:8 it is personified with the meaning of the temporary destiny of the doomed; it is to give up those who are in it (Rev. 20:13), and is to be cast into the lake of fire (Rev. 20:14).

Zodhiates, S. (2000, c1992, c1993). The complete word study dictionary : New Testament (electronic ed.) (G86). Chattanooga, TN: AMG Publishers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
how so? Please explain...
Because we have given a multitude of biblical proofs for our position. This has gone on for years. The proof is in the fact that there is no mention of eternal torment in the old testament. There are logical proofs, ie God is Just and it is unjust to torment someone for all eternity. We have shown NT passage after passage that proves our point. We have shown proofs from the history of the church. It is simply untrue that we only use two greek words to prove our theory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because we have given a multitude of biblical proofs for our position. This has gone on for years. The proof is in the fact that there is no mention of eternal torment in the old testament.

so how many times in the New Testament does God need to explain eternal hell?
Matthew 25: 40-46
There are logical proofs, ie God is Just and it is unjust to torment someone for all eternity.
If God can drown an entire race (death by suffocation) and burn an entire race (not to mention 150lb hail stones) in the end days, I would not question the fact that He can and will punish for eternity.
We have shown NT passage after passage that proves our point.
like I said, only two greek words. Which is not the majority.

We have shown proofs from the history of the church.
every date I have seen and proof I have seen regarding this subject has been grossly incorrect. But please give dates and examples of history that are in unison with your view.
It is simply untrue that we only use two greek words to prove our theory.
you gave several reasons for your viewpoint, but did not refute the fact that you merely use death and destruction as your positive greek evidences, and no more.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
so how many times in the New Testament does God need to explain eternal hell?
Matthew 25: 40-46

If God can drown an entire race (death by suffocation) and burn an entire race (not to mention 150lb hail stones) in the end days, I would not question the fact that He can and will punish for eternity.
like I said, only two greek words. Which is not the majority.

every date I have seen and proof I have seen regarding this subject has been grossly incorrect. But please give dates and examples of history that are in unison with your view. you gave several reasons for your viewpoint, but did not refute the fact that you merely use death and destruction as your positive greek evidences, and no more.
Okay.

Anyone else can see that we use much more than just 2 greek words to support our position. But you can believe whatever you want to believe.

Here is solid proof that we use more than just 2 greek words, here is something that I've posted in the past. Agree or Disagree, but it is not based on the definition of ὄλεθρον or θάνατος:
Timothew said:
Matthew 13:30
First gather up the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them up,
The greek word that is used is katakausai, which comes from katakaio, and it means to consume by burning, burn down. The tares are gone after they burned.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay.

Anyone else can see that we use much more than just 2 greek words to support our position. But you can believe whatever you want to believe.

Here is solid proof that we use more than just 2 greek words, here is something that I've posted in the past. Agree or Disagree, but it is not based on the definition of ὄλεθρον or θάνατος:

everyone else cannot see that you use more than two words, here the word is burn. But has nothing to do with annihilation. Doesn't even mention it in the passage.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The ultimate help in understanding scripture is God's Holy Spirit. Someone who is blinded to the truth can read scripture diligently and come no closer to understanding.

Even Satan quotes scripture for his own purposes.
And who says no one but those agreeing with one's own position are being led by the same "Spirit". Again, we can all make that claim. Proving it however is another matter.

Saying "yes it is" in response to someone saying "no, it is not" does not become a grown up arguement just because one adds "the Spirit led me to say yes it is and to understand Scripture that way". Once again, if people did not think the Spirit was leading them to a position or Scripture did not support what they believe then they would not have the position they do.

Should we respond in kind? People not agreeing with the orthodox view are blinded to the truth and cannot come closer to understanding it and are not following the help of the Holy Spirit.
Now, I ask did that further my case or not?

There are positions on the meaning of scripture (such as eternal torment in hell) that rely on scant evidence to sustain themselves (such as the smoke of their TORMENT shall rise forever or their worm shall not die) when OBVIOUS scripture states the, well, OBVIOUS such as the wages of sin is DEATH or the soul that sinneth shall DIE.
I cannot help but point out this appears to say/justify one can ignore evidence in Scripture supporting the opposing position as long as it is "scant", and as long as one has other verses that "obviously" support one's own position.

Also point out that "obviously" is only correct if one approaches understanding those verses with the preconceived notion of annihilation. As death, die, dying have other meanings in both modern and obviously the days Jesus was able to say let the dead bury the dead, the only way those verses "obviously" support annihilation is if I already believe that is what death, dying, destruction typically or ordinarily mean. Am not sure how to hold a view which requires me to be ok with ignoring parts of the Bible that diagree with my view if I can point to verses that "obviously" support the view I already hold.

We should not be going into scripture with preconceived ideas (or we should at least consider we may have preconceived ideas and be on the alert to let scripture lead us to what God teaches rather than running with our preconceived ideas and only looking for scripture which supports these ideas ... for example those misguided folks who support the government welfare/entitlement programs ie the 'social safety net' that men have erected thinking they are fulfilling Jesus' call for us to care for the poor and needy but in their support having to deny that the scripture which tells us 'thou shalt not covet, thou shalt not steal, love thy neighbor' is in any way being violated although it clearly is).
I agree and think it would be especially wrong for me to hold preconceived ideas of certain verses and claim that understanding of those verses allows one to ignore evidence to the contrary from other verses, even if I feel it is scant.
This is why we consider ALL relevant scripture.
So scripture that is only "scant evidence" against one's position is irrelevant?
In the debate over the fate of the wicked, only THREE entities are specifically mentioned as suffering the fate of eternal torment. There are passages that are taken out of context to suggest that this is the fate of all lost men (such as the eternal LAKE OF FIRE ... it is the lake of fire that is eternal, not the suffering of the lost who are thrown into the lake of fire OR the rather breath taking claim that death is not a punishment and that eternal death is NOT an eternal punishment).

Ok, am trying to comprehend the logic here. God would not be Mercy, Love, Good, Just if He allowed the humans who are damned to suffer eternally. But He is Mercy, Love, Good, and Just if He does so to only Three entities. And the verses do indicate something about "those following" them get the same fate(lake of fire).

In context it would also be hard to understand how John's vision could later speak of someone who has already been alledgedly "annihilated" in a lake of fire afterwards, yet he does and contrasts their fate with those in Heaven. If my view is they were "annihilated" then such an obvious comparison afterwards must be another example of "scant evidence" which I can ignore because a verse indicating something done to "those two" "and then in the next section a "third" does not agree with my preconceived notion of what happens to the rest of the damned among humans who follow them at the end of that section of the vision. So the later verses which again speak of the damned and comparing their current status with those in Heaven can be labeled "scant evidence" and so irrelevent.

So when the damned shortly follow in that exact SAME fate (thrown into lake of fire) and the comment about forever are not repeated I can claim that proof of supporting my view. Of course that requires me to ingore the "scant evidence" of Jesus words concerning those same people in describing torment that does not end in remarkably similar words. A fire that is not quenched and a lake of fire where someone is said to be tormented forever sounds very similar to me.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
everyone else cannot see that you use more than two words, here the word is burn. But has nothing to do with annihilation. Doesn't even mention it in the passage.
No, you would need to read the whole passage in the NT. But you say this word has nothing to do with annihilation, as if burning something completely up has nothing to do with annihilation. What word would you use to describe chaff that has been completely burned up? And you did ask me for other proof besides death and destruction.

You said "annihilationists use two greek words to prove their theory. Thats it. no more evidence." As anyone can see, this statement is not true.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.