Eternal security?

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is pretty much what I have believed and taught for 30 years.
And you are correct, not a lot of people are aware of these things.
Reading this passage, it looks like Paul’s main purpose is to rebuke the Corinthians for allowing this kind of sin to go on in the assembly and not address it by putting the sinning brother out. He goes on to say for them to have nothing to do with anyone who calls himself a brother who is practicing obvious sin, “not even to eat with such a one”, and to emphasize that the sin will threaten the church by spreading through the congregation. So the first purpose for this discipline is to protect the flock.

The second purpose for turning this man over to Satan is to wake him up through corporal punishment, if you will, and bring him to the place of repentance, not to kill him before he loses his salvation. He already isn’t right with God because he’s practicing perversion, but he hasn’t gone so far as to commit eternal (unforgiveable) sin (although headed for it), and so there’s still hope for forgiveness if he repents. Although it’s not stated directly, I believe that’s the purpose- to bring him to repentance before it’s too late and he dies in his sin. Notice that in the case of Hymenaeus and Alexander, they are turned over to Satan to learn not to blaspheme. Getting killed isn’t going to cause them to learn much. So I see getting turned over to Satan basically as to suffer physically, and possibly but not necessarily to be completely physically destroyed. Also, many believe the fornicator in 1 Co 5 is the same man in 2 Co 2 who Paul is now saying that the punishment by the congregation is sufficient, and to forgive and allow him back into fellowship before he completely loses heart.

I’ve come to the place where I believe all discipline and chastisement this side of the grave is the mercy of God to bring about repentance and godliness that we not be lost. If a person crosses the line, committing eternal sin, I think the Holy Spirit departs from them and they’re left alone to face the fearful expectation of judgment that will devour the enemies of God.

I’m surprised anyone on this board would even broach this subject in scripture, since it’s not often ever heard taught in any church. Even the scriptures associated with it aren’t often even mentioned.

Upvote 0