Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wait times in ERs shoud, even in a big city, ostensibly be quite short. But with the poor and unisured using them as sources of primary care, no wonder they are overburdened.
Of course, it depends on what you're there for, how many beds are available and who else is there.

Upvote 0

ProudMomxmany

slightly insane mom of many
Jul 6, 2013
✟17,163.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ERs here have digital billboards that show the current wait times. I don't think I've ever seen one over 25 minutes.

Must be nice...we've waited upwards of 3 hours just to be triaged at a larger city ER. My husband has a chronic illness that periodically would send us to the ER for "big gun" pain control and hydration. We have waited up to 6 hours just for a doctor to give the OK for IV and meds.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm getting a video playback error no matter how many times I refreshed :/ so I will share my own experience with the ER:

I had to be rushed to the ER a few years ago. I was having a nosebleed that wasn't stopping, and the local doctors office was closed.

The ER was totally empty but I had to wait an hour and a half. By that time I had fainted and awakened two times and a clot finally started to form, they brought me back to see a doctor.

He looked up my nose with a light and said he couldn't do anything. He sent me home. The whole visit took about 3 minutes.

We have insurance but it doesn't cover ER visits. We were charged 500 dollars for the visit. The only thing that was used the entire visit was one of those plastic covers for the light that looks in noses/ears. They didn't even use the paper on the bed because they had me sit on a chair instead.

Something is wrong here.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ERs here have digital billboards that show the current wait times. I don't think I've ever seen one over 25 minutes.

I waited 3 hours with an infected gall bladder. Got to a bed another 8 hours later. They said it was really busy that day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟181,029.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My worst A&E (British version of ER, stands for Accident and Emergency) experience was listening to a junior doctor and a senior radiologist arguing loudly outside the cubicle I was in whether three of my fingers were broken or were just badly bruised. Honestly, if one of them wasn't broken more-or-less on the knuckle I'd have buddy-strapped them myself and just dosed myself with ibuprofen.

Little tip, if you have the option avoid the place on Saturday afternoons in the rugby season.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟215,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm getting a video playback error no matter how many times I refreshed :/ so I will share my own experience with the ER:

I had to be rushed to the ER a few years ago. I was having a nosebleed that wasn't stopping, and the local doctors office was closed.

The ER was totally empty but I had to wait an hour and a half. By that time I had fainted and awakened two times and a clot finally started to form, they brought me back to see a doctor.

He looked up my nose with a light and said he couldn't do anything. He sent me home. The whole visit took about 3 minutes.

We have insurance but it doesn't cover ER visits. We were charged 500 dollars for the visit. The only thing that was used the entire visit was one of those plastic covers for the light that looks in noses/ears. They didn't even use the paper on the bed because they had me sit on a chair instead.

Something is wrong here.
Did you ask them for the self-paying discount? Some ERs have that - the one in the video did.

They charge you a portion of what it costs to keep the ER open, not just for the particular service you received. If other patients came in by ambulance, you wouldn't see them in the waiting room.

It does sound like your experience was pretty dismal and expensive. It sounds like a really bad option for people without insurance, especially if they are not indigent.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Did you ask them for the self-paying discount? Some ERs have that.

They charge you a portion of what it costs to keep the ER open, not just for the particular service you received. If other patients came in by ambulance, you wouldn't see them in the waiting room.

It does sound like your experience was pretty dismal and expensive. It sounds like a really bad option for people without insurance, especially if they are not indigent.

I don't know what a self-paying discount is, so no.

I know there may have been patients that I couldn't see, but it didn't help my feeling that I was going to sit there and bleed to death before I got to see the doctor.

I would figure if someone is bleeding so much they are passing out that it would be pretty high on the "important" scale. I have a history of nosebleeds and before that incident I had been rushed to the doctor for an emergency cauterization because I was losing so much blood (something my grandma mentioned to the nurse).

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟215,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know what a self-paying discount is, so no.
That's for people who are paying the bill in its entirety themselves with no negotiated discounts like insurance companies get. It's worth asking for, if it's not too late.

I know there may have been patients that I couldn't see, but it didn't help my feeling that I was going to sit there and bleed to death before I got to see the doctor.

I would figure if someone is bleeding so much they are passing out that it would be pretty high on the "important" scale. I have a history of nosebleeds and before that incident I had been rushed to the doctor for an emergency cauterization because I was losing so much blood (something my grandma mentioned to the nurse).
Sounds really bad and scary.

Are there any 24-hour outpatient clinics near you? It sounds like this may happen again.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's for people who are paying the bill in its entirety themselves with no negotiated discounts like insurance companies get. It's worth asking for, if it's not too late.

Sounds really bad and scary.

Are there any 24-hour outpatient clinics near you? It sounds like this may happen again.

It's been a few years so I think it would be too late :( Thanks for the info though, I'll remember it if it ever happens again.

There was one that was just built but it's 45 minutes away, and the closest ER is 8 minutes away. If it ever happens again I'm not sure if I'd take the chance of driving that far, but I'll have to see when/if that day comes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Of course, it depends on what you're there for, how many beds are available and who else is there.

Hence my use of 'ostensibly'. I was going to list some variables like time of day or whether there's an epidemic, but felt the one word was more succint. :cool:

Upvote 0

Provision

Jun 26, 2004
✟8,315.00
Faith
Christian
I live in a State where it is mandated that you have health insurance. Other than the bureaucratic mess that one has to go through, it works out pretty well.

Also, as one who has had many ER visits recently due to various ailments, depending on the severity of your diagnosis, it can take several hours before the nurses and Dr's. treat you. Actually, they triage you fairly quickly, but if what you are going through is not considered a severe emergency, you can wait up to 2 hours before they do something as simple as give you medicines or an IV.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We've got a system here that works..Urgent care treats those who do not need the services of an ER..non critical.
ER sees those who have the critical situations..incoming ambulances(UC does not take ambulances),and those cases that need the services that UC can not provide.
It has cut down on the wait in the ER drastically.
Both are administered by the hospital system,so the same competence is in place at both locations.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Typically not serving the Saturday night guns, knives and overdose crowds.

Here's a hint...don't do drugs.

(I don't care if people do drugs as long as they pick up the tab for the results of their poor choices.)

Upvote 0