New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Entertaining Angels

“May I help you, sir?” the receptionist asked.

“Yes, I’d like to see Mr. Angell.”

“I’m sorry, sir, but there’s no one here by that name.”

“But there must be. I just talked with him last Thursday.”

“Maybe you have our business confused with another business.”

“No, I was here last Thursday. I had a job interview with Mr. Stan Angell right there in that office.”

“But that’s Mr. Hardison’s office, sir.”

“I don’t know whose office it is, but the man who interviewed me told me his name was Stan Angell. Listen, I’m not here to make trouble. I just want to thank Mr. Angell.”

“I don’t know what to tell you, sir. Will you excuse me a moment while I check with Mr. Hardison and see if he can help you?”

“Of course,” the man replied as the receptionist turned away.

The receptionist walked over, knocked on the office door. She returned a couple of minutes later.

“Mr. Hardison says he will speak with you now. You may go in.”

“Come in, sir. Now, how may I help you?”

“I’m sorry to bother you. I came looking for Mr. Angell, but the receptionist doesn’t seem to know him.”

“That’s because we have no Mr. Angell.”

“But there’s his picture hanging behind your desk.”

“But that’s my father!”

“I don’t know who he is, but last Thursday he told me he was Mr. Angell.”

“You saw my father last Thursday?”

“That’s right. Right in this office.”

“And why were you here last Thursday?”

“I saw an ad in the paper about a job opening. You did have an ad in the paper about a job opening, didn’t you?”

“Yes, but I’m sorry to say that it’s already been filled.”

“That’s okay. I have a job thanks to Mr. Angell, your father, or whomever the gentlemen was.”

“Maybe you’d like to explain to me, Mr....”

“Thompson. Alan Thompson.”

“Maybe you’d like to explain to me, Mr. Thompson.”

“I’d be happy to. Three months ago I lost my job. I’d been trying to find a new one ever since. I didn’t have any luck. My wife was getting discouraged. Just the night before I talked to Mr. Angell I got down on my knees and prayed and asked God to help me get a job. Then I saw your ad in the newspaper. I called and talked to Mr. Angell. He told me he would be happy to interview me last Thursday at noon.”

“At noon, you say?”

“That’s right, noon.”

“I don’t suppose you know that the office is always locked from 12:00-1:00 while every-one goes to lunch.”

“Well, come to think of it, no one else was here except Mr. Angell and me.”

“Go on, Mr. Thompson.”

“Well, Mr. Angell and I talked for a few minutes. He was such a pleasant old man. Oh, sorry, I didn’t mean anything bad about that. Anyway, Mr. Angell told me he thought I was overqualified for the position, but he recommended another company who was going to be needing someone. He called them, got me an interview, and I got the job. Funny thing was that they were just about to advertise the job when Mr. Angell called them. Not only did they hire me, but they gave me more money than I made at my other job. I just came back to thank Mr. Angell for helping me get the job. Funny thing about that old man, I mean your father.”

“What’s that, Mr. Thompson?”

“Well, the way he kept pulling out that red handkerchief with the white polka dots and wiping his brow, you’d think he was the one who needed the job. Mr. Hardison, did I say something wrong? Are you okay?”

“I’m...I’m fine, I guess. You say the man had a red handkerchief with white polka dots?”

“That’s right. You know him then? Was it your father?”

“Well, yes and no.”

“What do you mean by “yes and no?”“

“Well, my father had a handkerchief just like that, and he was always taking it out and wiping his brow.”

“Then it must have been your father who interviewed me. But why did he use the name Mr. Angell?”

“Mr. Thompson, I don’t know how to tell you this. My father has been dead for twenty years.”

=====
Steve Demaree
1608 Summerhill Drive
Lexington, KY 40515
(606) 271-2416
moviesteve@rocketmail.com
Submitted by Richard