✟1,357,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 7:13-14 ESV

“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.”

The Narrow Way

If something is narrow, it is limited. It is restricted. It is regulated. It is controlled. It has rules we have to follow. It sets boundaries. It says “Yes” to some things but “No” to other things. For it is not a free-for-all, lacking in rules. It imposes guidelines. And a limit or a boundary is a point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass. And it has consequences for those who cross those limits or boundaries.

And a gate is a door or a passageway into something. It is an entrance into something or somewhere. And what gate are we talking about here? What is this gate to? It is the gate or the way to salvation from sin, eternal life with God, and the kingdom of heaven. And in John 10:7 we read where Jesus said that he was that door. And in John 14:6 Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

But it is not restricted to just the fact that Jesus is the only way. But the way which Jesus provides for us to enter into his heavenly kingdom is restricted by him, for it sets boundaries, and it has consequences depending upon which gate we decide to enter – the narrow one or the wide (broad) one. And the way provided for us is first of all through Jesus’ death and resurrection, so by God’s grace, but also through God-given faith in him.

So what does this faith look like? First of all, the word means to be persuaded, i.e. to be persuaded by God. And what does God persuade us to do? He persuades us as to his holiness and righteousness, and of our sinfulness, and of our need to repent of (turn from) our sins and to now follow him in obedience to his ways. And he persuades us to live holy lives, pleasing to him, and to no longer walk in sin.

[Romans 1:18-32; Romans 3:23; Romans 6:1-23; Romans 8:1-14; Luke 9:23-26; Matthew 7:21-23; Acts 26:18; John 6:44; Titus 2:11-14]

Also, the faith to believe in Jesus Christ does not come from ourselves. It is gifted to us by God, and it is not of our own doing, not of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. In fact, Jesus is the author and the perfecter of this faith which comes from God and which is not of our own doing. Therefore this faith is going to submit to him as Lord, and surrender to the will of God, and obey our Lord’s commandments (New Covenant).

[Hebrews 12:1-2; Ephesians 2:8-10; John 1:12-13; John 6:44]

And then we read in the Scriptures that Jesus died that we might die to sin and live to righteousness, and that he died so we would now live for him and no longer for ourselves. He shed his blood for us on that cross to buy us back for God (to redeem us) out of our lives of living in slavery to sin so that we will now honor the Lord with our lives via walks of obedience to him and via living holy lives pleasing to him, and by no longer walking in sin.

[1 Peter 2:24; 2 Corinthians 5:15; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; Romans 6:1-23]

So, what boundary lines does Jesus lay down for us that he says we cannot cross over? Well, first of all, when we enter into this narrow gate, we are crucified and buried with Christ in death to sin, and we are raised with him to walk in newness of life in him, no longer as slaves to sin, but now as slaves to God and to his righteousness. So we are to no longer obey sin, for if we do, it will lead to death, not to life eternal (Romans 6:1-23).

Instead, we are to obey God and his commandments under the New Covenant, and sin must no longer be our practice. For if sin is still our practice, and if obedience to God is not our practice, the Scriptures teach us that we do not know God, we are not born of God, we are of the devil, and we will not inherit eternal life with God. It doesn’t mean we are perfect people, but obedience to our Lord, and not sin, must be our practice.

[Matt 7:21-23; Lu 9:23-26; Jn 6:35-58; Jn 15:1-11; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14; 1 Co 6:9-10; 2 Co 5:10; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-11; 1 Jn 1:5-10; 1 Jn 2:3-6; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 10:23-31; 1 Co 10:1-22; Heb 3:1-19; Heb 4:1-13; 1 Pet 1:17-21; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

And that is why it says here that “the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.”

The Broad Path

“For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.”

So, what does it mean if the gate is wide? It is all-inclusive, not exclusive, unlimited, not limited. It is wide-ranging, which is the opposite of narrow. So it is also all-embracing. This is the modern altered and diluted “gospel” message which is telling people that all they have to do is to “believe” (rarely defined), and now all their sins are forgiven, heaven is their eternal destiny, no one can take it away from them, but regardless of how they live.

So it gives its adherents permission to keep on living in sin, only now without having to feel guilty for their sin. And should they begin to feel guilty for their sin, they are being told to just “Claim who you are in Christ,” regardless of the fact that, biblically speaking, they are not in Christ, and that, biblically speaking, most of what they are claiming does not apply to them. For all of God’s promises have conditions.

And we aren’t something just because we claim that we are. There needs to be evidence that we are what we claim to be. I can claim I am a chicken all day long, but that will never make me a chicken. So we don’t become children of God solely on a basis of making a confession that we are that. For in 1 John 1:5-10 we read that if we say we have fellowship with God but we still walk (in conduct) in darkness (sin), we are liars, not truth tellers.

And we read in 1 John 2:3-6 that if we say that we know God, but we do not obey his commandments, in practice, that we are liars. And then we read in 1 John 3:4-10 that whoever practices righteousness is righteous and whoever practices sin is of the devil, for no one born of God makes a practice of sinning. So, if we do not practice righteousness, we are not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother or sister.

So, if you are believing that you can just make a profession of faith in Jesus Christ, and now you are good to go, but while you continue in deliberate and habitual sin against God, and against your fellow humans, then you will not inherit eternal life with God. But if you believe in Jesus Christ, and you die to sin, and you follow him in obedience, in holy living, and not in sin, then you have the hope of eternal life with God, provided that you stay the course.

[Same noted Scriptures as in the section above.]

Seek the Lord

An Original Work / July 20, 2012
Based off Isaiah 55

“Come to Me all you who thirst; come to waters.
Listen to Me, and eat what’s good today,
And your soul will delight in richest of fare.
Give ear to Me, and you will live.
I have made an eternal covenant with you.
Wash in the blood of the Lamb.”

Seek the Lord while He may be found; call on Him.
Let the wicked forsake his way, in truth.
Let him turn to the Lord, and he will receive mercy.
Freely, God pardons him.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,”
declares the Lord, our God.

“My word that goes out of My mouth is truthful.
It will not return to Me unfulfilled.
My word will accomplish all that I desire,
And achieve the goal I intend.
You will go in joy and be led forth in peace.
The mountains will burst into song… before you,
And all of the trees clap their hands.”

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
The only way to enter through Jesus who is the narrow way is by belief in Jesus. Which many think is the same as repentance/turning from sin, or obedience, or by saying a prayer, or by being baptized, or by confessing Jesus.

But these listed action are not belief in Jesus, belief is the narrow way and the only way, one enters into being born again and becoming a child of God.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
in John 10:7 we read where Jesus said that he was that door.
The fourth letter in Hebrew is Dalet and that represents door. The second letter represents tent or tabernacle. The tent belongs to God, and Jesus is the doorkeeper to determine who enters in or exits the tent. Also, they had gates of the city where they had judges to determine who could enter the city and who had to leave. We read about the New Jerusalem with 12 gates made of precious stone.

Upvote 0