Anonymous
Jan 20, 2017
Somewhere
✟18,816.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This morning, I had to end a friendship with a guy in order for me to have a deeper relationship with Christ as I have been feeling convicted throughout the 2 years I've known this friend that I needed to let him go. I have deleted him from various social media accounts. This has been extremely hard for me, but I am more concerned for him.

Please, please pray with me:
Holy Father, I thank you for the friendship I had with my friend. I thank You for giving me the encouragement and strength to finally let him go. I ask now that You will lift him up, that you will heal his depression, that you will be His source of comfort, strength, joy, peace. I pray that You will protect him from any self-harm or suicidal thoughts he may have, that you will cover him with the blood of Jesus Christ each day that you bless him with and that ultimately, You will help him to surrender his life to You/rededicate his life to You. Please also break any soul ties I have with him. Please also help me and him to move on from our friendship and to seek You more and have a deeper relationship with You. Please help him to harbor no ill feelings towards me. In the Name of Jesus Christ we ask these things...Amen.

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟548,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I pray that You will protect him from any self-harm or suicidal thoughts he may have, that you will cover him with the blood of Jesus Christ each day that you bless him with and that ultimately, You will help him to surrender his life to You/rededicate his life to You. Please also break any soul ties I have with him. Please also help me and him to move on from our friendship and to seek You more and have a deeper relationship with You

Amen, Father. I agree with this sister's prayer 100% and whole heartedly. May both their hearts be directed towards You, and may You provide healing to both their hearts by Your wonderful grace.

In Jesus Name, Amen.

Upvote 0

Heaven91

May 9, 2017
LaFayette
✟9,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry you had to end a friendship I know how that feels.

The Serenity prayer helps

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
forever in the next.
Amen.

Upvote 0

Neatz

Dec 8, 2016
United States of America
✟12,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
This morning, I had to end a friendship with a guy in order for me to have a deeper relationship with Christ as I have been feeling convicted throughout the 2 years I've known this friend that I needed to let him go. I have deleted him from various social media accounts. This has been extremely hard for me, but I am more concerned for him.

Holy Father, I thank you for the friendship I had with my friend. I thank You for giving me the encouragement and strength to finally let him go. I ask now that You will lift him up, that you will heal his depression, that you will be His source of comfort, strength, joy, peace. I pray that You will protect him from any self-harm or suicidal thoughts he may have, that you will cover him with the blood of Jesus Christ each day that you bless him with and that ultimately, You will help him to surrender his life to You/rededicate his life to You. Please also break any soul ties I have with him. Please also help me and him to move on from our friendship and to seek You more and have a deeper relationship with You. Please help him to harbor no ill feelings towards me. In the Name of Jesus Christ we ask these things...Amen.
This hurts to read. God hates divorce, but I also think it's the divorce of the heart that really grieves Him.
Was this friend unfaithful? Did he abuse you? Abandon you?
If a person has a 'friend' that is suffering from depression, the last thing that sufferer needs (usually) is his 'friends' abandoning him, (cutting off social ties ESPECIALLY hurts deeply), and hearing that it's being done to get closer to God. What kind of God does that to His children?

If this guy isn't saved, he obviously needs you to be his friend and help him see and hear the Gospel of Jesus. Maybe you won't actually be the one to lead him in a prayer of salvation so-to-speak, but you could be going to church with him, praying for others to join in helping him see, or just letting your faith in Jesus shine for him and pray for God's goodness and kindness to lead him to Jesus.

If he is saved but struggling, he is your brother in Christ, and needs not only his friend, but his sister.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but you didn't supply too many details, only that you've 'felt convicted thruout' the two years you've been friends.
Convicted? The entire time you've been 'friends'? About what?
Are you guys having sex or doing things together that might give the appearance of sin? There are ways to handle that, thru prayer, God's forgiveness if needed, counsel with other christians in church together, etc. Or hey, you could get married and have a blast getting closer to God (and each other) together, which seems to be how God likes to have us be.

Are you sure this is 'conviction' from God and not condemnation from the enemy to drive two christians apart, or perhaps just your own desires to pursue your own thing? Because this doesn't sound like two friends in Christ coming to a mutual agreement that you can part in peace as friends for this time in your lives, but just an ex-communication, a form of 'spiritual divorce' if you will.

I don't mean to judge, but you (thru the use of social media) ask us, as brothers and sisters, to basically pray against another brother, or an unsaved friend, by supporting your decision to abandon him and cut off social media ties. Without knowing more details or his side of the friendship, it just doesn't seem like a good way for either you or him (and you say you're more concerned for him) to 'get closer to God'. Or each other.

And I know how much it hurts being cut off, and it often comes from another persons demands going unmet, or false accusations being believed, rather than discussed with the intent of reasoning together.

It hurts really really deeply, and it's also getting tiring hearing ppl TALK a good game and yet condemning others with their own version of what they think 'being Christian/Christlike' is, and then condemning others for not living up to that standard.
I'm not saying you are doing that here. I don't know, I'm just making a generalized statement.

But there just seems to be less of the ' let brotherly love continue' and more of the 'love of many shall grow cold' these days, and I hope that's not the case with you and your friend. Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robert Richborough

May 5, 2017
Manchester
✟47,835.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This hurts to read. God hates divorce, but I also think it's the divorce of the heart that really grieves Him.
If a person has a 'friend' that is suffering from depression, the last thing that sufferer needs (usually) is his 'friends' abandoning him, (cutting off social ties ESPECIALLY hurts deeply), and hearing that it's being done to get closer to God. What kind of God does that to His children?

If this guy isn't saved, he obviously needs you to be his friend and help him see and hear the Gospel of Jesus. Maybe you won't actually be the one to lead him in a prayer of salvation so-to-speak, but you could be going to church with him, praying for others to join in helping him see, or just letting your faith in Jesus shine for him and pray for God's goodness and kindness to lead him to Jesus.

If he is saved but struggling, he is your brother in Christ, and needs not only his friend, but his sister.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but you didn't supply too many details, only that you've 'felt convicted thruout' the two years you've been friends.
Are you guys having sex or doing things together that might give the appearance of sin? There are ways to handle that, thru prayer, God's forgiveness if needed, counsel with other christians in church together, etc. Or hey, you could get married and have a blast getting closer to God (and each other) together, which seems to be how God likes to have us be.

Are you sure this is 'conviction' from God and not condemnation from the enemy to drive two christians apart, or perhaps just your own desires to pursue your own thing? Because this doesn't sound like two friends in Christ coming to a mutual agreement that you can part in peace as friends for this time in your lives, but just an ex-communication, a form of 'spiritual divorce' if you will.

I don't mean to judge, but you (thru the use of social media) ask us, as brothers and sisters, to basically pray against another brother, or an unsaved friend, by supporting your decision to abandon him and cut off social media ties. Without knowing more details or his side of the friendship, it just doesn't seem like a good way for either you or him (and you say you're more concerned for him) to 'get closer to God'. Or each other.

And I know how much it hurts being cut off, and it often comes from another persons demands going unmet, or false accusations being believed, rather than discussed with the intent of reasoning together.

It hurts really really deeply, and it's also getting tiring hearing ppl TALK a good game and yet condemning others with their own version of what they think 'being Christian/Christlike' is, and then condemning others for not living up to that standard.
I'm not saying you are doing that here. I don't know, I'm just making a generalized statement.

But there just seems to be less of the ' let brotherly love continue' and more of the 'love of many shall grow cold' these days, and I hope that's not the case with you and your friend. Peace.

There is the issue that, this man unfortunately for now cannot accept that this girl only wants to be friends, I suggest maybe she open up to him again in the future, but he is causing her issues through his desire to make her his girlfriend.

Upvote 0

Neatz

Dec 8, 2016
United States of America
✟12,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is the issue that, this man unfortunately for now cannot accept that this girl only wants to be friends, I suggest maybe she open up to him again in the future, but he is causing her issues through his desire to make her his girlfriend.
Well, abandoning a brother coldly whos suffering depression doesn't seem to be the right treatment of him. To say 'he is causing her issues' sounds rather pop-psychology-ish, not scriptural so much.
If this was a situation of threats or danger or harrassment/abuse somehow, yes, of course she needs to get out of harms way, but she didn't seem to express that in her post. If it's a matter of inconvenience, there are better ways to help the friend than to turn a cold shoulder and ex-communicate him. But I see, and have experienced this, sadly as much Within the body of Christ, as Without, maybe moreso, or perhaps Im just more aware of it these days. I'm just always hoping that people would try all they can to have reconciliation and understanding, and we should be doing what we can to help others INTO the Kingdom, not pushing them away. But without hearing all sides of the situation, or from both parties, I guess I shouldn't be too quick to judge either way.
God bless.

Upvote 0

Robert Richborough

May 5, 2017
Manchester
✟47,835.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, abandoning a brother coldly whos suffering depression doesn't seem to be the right treatment of him. To say 'he is causing her issues' sounds rather pop-psychology-ish, not scriptural so much.
If this was a situation of threats or danger or harrassment/abuse somehow, yes, of course she needs to get out of harms way, but she didn't seem to express that in her post. If it's a matter of inconvenience, there are better ways to help the friend than to turn a cold shoulder and ex-communicate him. But I see, and have experienced this, sadly as much Within the body of Christ, as Without, maybe moreso, or perhaps Im just more aware of it these days. I'm just always hoping that people would try all they can to have reconciliation and understanding, and we should be doing what we can to help others INTO the Kingdom, not pushing them away. But without hearing all sides of the situation, or from both parties, I guess I shouldn't be too quick to judge either way.
God bless.

"causing her issues" sorry I'm British im a master of understatement, I have spoken to this girl about the matter in DM's, by causing her issues, I mean stuff to be concerned about.

I do agree she should reconcile with him at some point though.

Reactions: Neatz
Upvote 0

Neatz

Dec 8, 2016
United States of America
✟12,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
"causing her issues" sorry I'm British im a master of understatement, I have spoken to this girl about the matter in DM's, by causing her issues, I mean stuff to be concerned about.

I do agree she should reconcile with him at some point though.
Hey, ok, np.
And, no need to apologize, being British isn't the unpardonable sin ..... CLOSE, but not quite :D (just kidding, I love the Brits!) Big Monty Python fan, too. (*Now THAT may be the unpardonable sin!)
Anyway, I may have spoken a bit rashly, I wasn't meaning to judge her, perhaps her feelings about her friend are warranted.....I should learn to stay out of the advice department when I don't know all the facts. (And sometimes even when I do.) God bless you, friend!
Btw, what are DM's?

Upvote 0

Robert Richborough

May 5, 2017
Manchester
✟47,835.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, ok, np.
And, no need to apologize, being British isn't the unpardonable sin ..... CLOSE, but not quite :D (just kidding, I love the Brits!) Big Monty Python fan, too. (*Now THAT may be the unpardonable sin!)
Anyway, I may have spoken a bit rashly, I wasn't meaning to judge her, perhaps her feelings about her friend are warranted.....I should learn to stay out of the advice department when I don't know all the facts. (And sometimes even when I do.) God bless you, friend!
Btw, what are DM's?

Direct messages, No its ok man your advice was helpful, I do think she should reconcile when hes ready.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neatz

Dec 8, 2016
United States of America
✟12,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Direct messages, No its ok man your advice was helpful, I do think she should reconcile when hes ready.
Ok thanks. DM is like PM then? Personal or Private Message? Here, they have what they call 'Start a Conversation' , I'm assuming these are all the same?
Anyway, thanks brother. :)

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith

Amen

praying in agreement

Reactions: Sunlit Clouds
Upvote 0

Sunlit Clouds

Anonymous
Jan 20, 2017
Somewhere
✟18,816.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thank you for your reply, I understand where you're coming from. My reasons for leaving is because I was growing uncomfortable in our friendship as there was an increase of flirting and mentioning of marriage. I felt convicted throughout the duration of our friendship. It was a long-distance online friendship. I'm not going to pretend that I was innocent throughout. I felt like I was also leading him on in a way because we were talking daily. 98% of our conversations were platonic. But even that 2% was enough to make me feel quite uncomfortable and even guilty for talking with him daily because I felt like that alone was leading him on. To be honest, I don't know if I will speak to him again. I feel like if I did, I'd go back to talking to him again and it will just be harder for me to let him go. It was hard enough to end the friendship..though I can't imagine what he felt. I just felt that this was for the best. I have told him the gospel, I have talked to him about God, I have tried taking the opportunity during our conversations to include God and relate things back to Him, but I have realized that I am not the Holy Spirit. I cannot change a person's heart. I cannot change or convict anyone of God. I can only do so much to lead someone to Him. I didn't all of a sudden feel convicted in interacting with him, it was throughout the friendship. I had no peace about it. I wanted things to work out as friends for the long run but it's gotten to a point where I really could not stay any longer. Whenever he was sad, I would comfort him and even give advice when needed + pray for him-typing it all out for him to read and pray with me. Though there's nothing wrong with doing any of that for someone, there comes a time when I have now become his source of comfort, strength, etc, instead of God. Instead of him turning to God, he turns to me. I have told him to pray but he doesn't believe God hears his prayers and only wants me to pray for him. Maybe this all doesn't seem valid to anyone for me ending our friendship, but I have felt peace about my decision ever since. That's not to say that I don't worry about him. I have spent weeks worrying myself sick about him prior to ending the friendship because of how he may take it. I have prayed hard about it prior and still pray for his well-being and salvation. When it gets to a point where staying in the friendship affects my walk with Him, I felt like I needed to let go.

Upvote 0