Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was going through the list of personal details and when it ask the question about what I believed about the end times or end of the world I realized I had no idea what the different concepts were;

Historic Preterist Futurist Amillennialism Premillennialism Postmillennialism Pretribulation Midtribulation Posttribulation

Could some one explain the difference?

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was going through the list of personal details and when it ask the question about what I believed about the end times or end of the world I realized I had no idea what the different concepts were;

Historic Preterist Futurist Amillennialism Premillennialism Postmillennialism Pretribulation Midtribulation Posttribulation

good morning,
Preterist is someone who believes the prophecies have already been fulfilled long in the past.
Furturist is a person who believes all the prophecies will be fulfilled long in the future.
Historic is someone who believes some of the prophecies of the end time have been fulfilled and others are still to be fulfilled.
Premillenniumism is someone who believes Jesus will return before the 1000years begins.
Postmillenniumism is someone who believes Jesus will return after the 1000 years has finished.
Pretribulation (basically same as premillennium), Jesus returns before the tribulation period and saves His people from going through it.
Midtribulation is when Jesus returns part way through the great tribulation.
And posttribulation is when Jesus' followers go through the tribulation period and then Jesus returns.

Reactions: GoodGRACEshus
Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No need to get bogged down in all of this. Before you even go delving into theological concepts, just read and study what is in Scripture. Since you identify yourself as a Mormon, there is bound to be even more confusion. So here's how to understand the End Times:

1. Put away the book of Mormon, Doctrines and Covenants, etc. and focus on the Bible.

2. Believe in the Christ of the Bible, not the Christ of Mormonism.

3. In the Bible focus on the Gospel which is the power of God unto salvation.

4. Believe the Gospel and be born again.

5. Understand clearly who Christ is and what He has accomplished.

6. Believe that while Christ came to earth the first time in humiliation and humility, He will return again the second time "with power and great glory".

7. Believe that Christ comes firstly FOR His saints, and then He comes WITH His saints.

8. Believe that Christ will literally establish His eternal Kingdom on this earth after He deals with the unbelieving, the ungodly, and all His enemies.

Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No need to get bogged down in all of this. Before you even go delving into theological concepts, just read and study what is in Scripture. Since you identify yourself as a Mormon, there is bound to be even more confusion. So here's how to understand the End Times:

1. Put away the book of Mormon, Doctrines and Covenants, etc. and focus on the Bible.

6. Believe that while Christ came to earth the first time in humiliation and humility, He will return again the second time "with power and great glory".

7. Believe that Christ comes firstly FOR His saints, and then He comes WITH His saints.

8. Believe that Christ will literally establish His eternal Kingdom on this earth after He deals with the unbelieving, the ungodly, and all His enemies.

I won't do this here but u started it;

I'm kind of a sorry excuse for a Mormon because I know the Bible a whole lot better than I do the Book of Mormon. The Jesus of Mormonism is the Jesus of the Bible. I have been born again, I was born of the water in 1960 at the age of 8, that's when my mother joined the Church. But, not born of the Spirit until 1980 when I was witnessed to by a neighbor who was a Baptist. I really took the time to read, study and pray about the teaching in the Bible comparing them to the teachings of Joseph Smith. I got a note book and made my own list of passages. I studied the concept of the Trinity by reading though some of the creeds, I called a couple of ministers to ask questions. I read though several different pamphlets and listen to radio preachers about how to receive salvation. What it all came down to was 'why should Jesus suffer for my sins? They are my sins not his?' That was the point I could not find my way through. I took going back to the Book of Mormon to find my answer, I needed to understand the laws of Justice and Mercy and how Jesus as an infinite God made the infinite sacrifice.

"...therefore God himself atoneth for the sins of the world, to bring about the plan of mercy, to appease the demands of justice, that God might be a perfect, just God, and a merciful God also" Alma 42

It took some time and some prayer and now I can say I have the same spiritual witness Nathanael had when he said "Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel". It is only though Him that I can obtain my salvation from sin and only by following Jesus can I find my way home and back into the presences of my Father in Heaven. I believe some day those who are alive will look up into heaven and see Christ coming with the Saints and they will rise to meet him as the wicked are burned off. The resurrection will occur and the earth will receive it's paradisaical glory. We will live with him in peace for a thousand years.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

You've already been given some good definitions, but I thought I'd give it a try too.

Preterism - There are actually two forms of Preterism, known usually as Partial Preterism and Full Preterism. Partial Preterism understands Jesus' statements in the Olivet Discourse to be primarily about the destruction of the Temple that happened in 70 AD, however Jesus also mentions His coming at the end of the age, that hasn't happened yet and is still yet to happen. Full Preterism asserts everything has already happened, Jesus' Parousia (return), the Judgment, the resurrection of the dead, there's nothing left to happen. Partial Preterism is regarded as an orthodox position, and in fact is often called Orthodox Preterism; whereas Full Preterism--also called Hyper-Preterism--is considered explicitly heretical. Preterists also generally understand that the Apocalypse (also called the book of the Revelation) describes events from the first century, and isn't about the end of the world.

Futurism - Futurism is, in a sense, the opposite of Preterism (Partial and Full), in that it asserts much, most, even all of what Jesus talks about in the Olivet Discourse is still yet future. Futurism also interprets the Apocalypse as primarily to be about a period known as "the end times".

Historicism - Historicists believe that events have been unfolding throughout the course of history. So for example a Preterist would see the "the Beast" of the Apocalypse as referring to the Roman Emperor Nero and/or Domitian, a Futurist would see "the Beast" as referring to a final end times Antichrist, the Historicist sees "the Beast" as something present throughout history. Most famously many of the Protestant Reformers, such as Martin Luther, came to believe the office of the Papacy to be the Beast, not an individual pope, but rather the papal office itself (in fact from this perspective the individual pope can be a believing Christian, but the office he resides in still be antichrist).

Premillennialism - Known in antiquity as Chiliasm (Greek for Millennialism). Adherents interpret the Millennium mentioned in the Apocalypse as being literal, a literal thousand years that will begin with Christ's return in the future. Generally there are two kinds of Premillennialism, the first is often called Historic Premillennialism. Historic Premillennialism was the view of a number of ancient Church Fathers such as St. Justin Martyr, St. Irenaeus of Lyons, and St. Hippolytus of Rome, this is the view that was known as Chiliasm and it agrees with what I already mentioned. The second is a more recent view known as Dispensational Premillennialism, or just Dispensationalism for short. This is the view that introduced the idea of Pretribulationism which will be addressed shortly.

Amillennialism - This view interprets the Millennium to be an indeterminate amount of time between Christ's ascension and His coming again. The Millennium is therefore understood figuratively to be about the reign of Christ, seated at the right hand of the Father, right now. This is the majority view of most Christians both historically and at present. Lutherans, Anglicans, Roman Catholics, Methodists, Presbyterians, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox (etc) are all historically and classically Amillennial.

Postmillennialism - In this view the Millennium refers to a period of time in which the Church, in a sense, spreads throughout the world and ushers in the Millennium by converting the whole world to Christianity. After Christians have taken over the positions of political, moral, and cultural power throughout the entire world, Christ will return and take things from there. This view is most notorious as being the view of R. J. Rushdoony and his idea of Christian Reconstructionism and Theonomy, and is advocated by a minority of Neo-Calvinist theologians (of which Rushdoony was one). It needs to be said that this view is a minority view only by some non-standard Calvinists, it isn't a normative idea for Calvinists by any stretch of the imagination.

Pretribulationism - With the advent of Dispensationalism by John Nelson Darby in the 19th century the idea of the Rapture began. Specifically the idea that before a period of massive tribulation God would remove His faithful from the world. This idea of Christians being "raptured" out of the world before a period of major tribulation is the view of Dispensationalists and is known as Pretribulationism so as to differentiate it from other tribulational views that came about, namely:

Midtribulationism - Midtribulationists, like Pretribulationists, accept the Dispensationalist idea that there will be a seven year period of tribulation, the first 3.5 years being relatively mild, with the latter 3.5 years being known as the Great Tribulation and is when things really hit the fan. Midtribulationists believe that Christians will be "raptured" out of the world before the Great Tribulation, that is, midway through the Tribulation. There is another kind of Midtribulationism known as Pre-Wrath, though it's been a while so I don't really recall how it differs exactly from Midtribulationism.

Posttribulationism - Like the above two, the Dispensationalist idea of a seven year tribulation is accepted, but Posttribulationists reject the idea that Christians will be "raptured" away from the tribulation, but will go through it until the end. And will then share in the resurrection at Christ's return.

As a bonus:

Idealism - Idealism is compared/contrasted with Preterism, Futurism, and Historicism, and largely is a way of interpreting the Apocalypse. Rather than trying to find specific events or persons that correspond to the things mentioned in the Apocalypse, Idealists interpret the Apocalypse to be describing the continued struggle between Christians and the powers of this world.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Full Preterism asserts everything has already happened?

Now that is strange, how can that be. We're here still aren't we?

Full Preterists believe that things will continue pretty much as they are ad infinitum. They say that Christ returned in judgment in 70 AD, and that the judgment was against unbelieving Israel, which was the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple. They say that the resurrection of the dead is just when we die and "go to heaven". There is no future Judgment, no future resurrection, no conclusion to the history of the world (they say the end of the age happened in 70 AD, the age being the age of Israel and the covenant of Sinai). All these things are reasons why Full Preterism is considered heretical by mainstream Christians.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Matthew Twentyfour

Take up your cross daily, and follow Me. Luke 9:23
Jan 19, 2015
✟8,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
withwonderingawe,

Take Job8's advice given below and stay away from other sources of information concerning the end times. If you want to learn about it, study only from the bible and accept everything the bible says, not just a few selected scriptures.

Jesus said in the end times --- which we are in now --- many will come in His name to deceive others, Matthew 24:5, Matthew 24:11, Luke 21:8. He was referring to many people calling themselves Christians who will form their own opinions not consistent with the bible and deceive other Christians, 2 Timothy 4:3-4. Examples are those many different theologies you've listed. Many have different views of how the end will happen that contradicts the bible.

Just study only the bible. The internet can be a very dangerous place as a source of information, especially concerning the timing of the rapture! Remember, Jesus said in the end times, just before His return, many will come to deceive. Many informations on the internet are deceptions written by those who does not honor the bible. Just study and accept only what's written in the bible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Job8
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Noting that the poster above while seemingly advocating a "Bible alone" perspective has provided their own opinionated spin and interpretation in order to advocate their own theology.

Beware the leaven of the "Bible-onlyist". They do not practice what they preach.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Some say we are in or entering into the mid-tribulation period, when the rapture is supposed to happen, and the Idol that we are made to give way to are the gods of Sodom and Grommorah, and if we don't bow to them, then we are separating ourselves from the modern culture, and we will be persecuted for it....

God Bless!

Upvote 0

godshapedhole

Dec 19, 2015
Australia
✟7,724.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Celibate
just read and study what is in Scripture
Scripture isn't exactly crystal clear on the matter, hence all the different interpretations. It seems we have always been in end times. I imagine to someone living through the black death it must have seemed like the end times, or those who followed William Miller, or those who lived through World War I, or World War II, or through the Cold War with the constant threat of nuclear annihilation.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Scripture isn't exactly crystal clear on the matter, hence all the different interpretations. It seems we have always been in end times. I imagine to someone living through the black death it must have seemed like the end times, or those who followed William Miller, or those who lived through World War I, or World War II, or through the Cold War with the constant threat of nuclear annihilation.

If one goes by what St. Peter said in his sermon on Pentecost the "last days" have been around for the last two millennia. In fact regularly in Christian literature "last days" does not refer to a period known as the "end times" but rather as time which began at Christ's first coming two thousand years ago. Here are some examples:

"Long ago God spoke to our ancestors in many and various ways by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom he also created the worlds." Epistle to the Hebrews 1:1-2

"Following, then, the holy Fathers, we all unanimously teach that our Lord Jesus Christ is to us One and the same Son, the Self-same Perfect in Godhead, the Self-same Perfect in Manhood; truly God and truly Man; the Self-same of a rational soul and body; co-essential with the Father according to the Godhead, the Self-same co-essential with us according to the Manhood; like us in all things, sin apart; before the ages begotten of the Father as to the Godhead, but in the last days, the Self-same, for us and for our salvation (born) of Mary the Virgin Theotokos as to the Manhood; One and the Same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten; acknowledged in Two Natures unconfusedly, unchangeably, indivisibly, inseparably; the difference of the Natures being in no way removed because of the Union, but rather the properties of each Nature being preserved, and (both) concurring into One Person and One Hypostasis; not as though He were parted or divided into Two Persons, but One and the Self-same Son and Only-begotten God, Word, Lord, Jesus Christ; even as from the beginning the prophets have taught concerning Him, and as the Lord Jesus Christ Himself hath taught us, and as the Symbol of the Fathers hath handed down to us." - Definition of Chalcedon, 451 AD

"If anyone does not confess the Divine Logos who was begotten of the Father before the ages in a timeless manner, who in these last days came down from heaven and was incarnate of the holy, glorious Theotokos and ever-Virgin Mary, and who became man and was born of her, and that therefore there are two generations of the same Logos of God, the one incorporeally before the ages, the other in these last days in the flesh, let him be anathema." - Second Anathema of Emperor Justinian the Great, 6th century

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Some say we are in or entering into the mid-tribulation period, when the rapture is supposed to happen, and the Idol that we are made to give way to are the gods of Sodom and Grommorah, and if we don't bow to them, then we are separating ourselves from the modern culture, and we will be persecuted for it....

God Bless!
I think if we were in the tribulation time things would be much worse than they currently are because the tribulation time happens fast and get's harsh quick.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums