• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Encouraging Words...

BlondieLashes

Finally a butterfly...
Aug 1, 2005
Standing right behind you! ;)
✟19,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was reading this a.m. and came across a scripture that spoke to me...want to share it with all of you

Before I just post the scripture, please know that I am one who has struggled (and still struggles) with substance abuse and has lived through the destructive world of the sex industry - I am a former stripper/inappropriate content model that has come to know our Lord and I've been out of "the industry" for four years now!!!

Knowing that I am sure you will understand why this scripture just jumped out at me...hope it will bless you too...

1 Peter 4:1-6
"Therefore, since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, that he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh for the lusts of men, but for the will of God. For we have spent enough of our past lifetime in doing the will of the Gentiles-when we walked in lewdness, lusts,drunkenness, revelries, drinking parties,and abominable idolatries. In regard to these, they think it strange that you do not run with them in the same flood of dissipation, speaking evil of you. They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.":amen:

What an awesome God we serve that sooooo understands where we have been and still LOVES us!!!! It just blows my mind!!!!

HE IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jenniferstell

May 27, 2005
Texas
✟15,454.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You've certainly encouraged me. I struggle with many things: substance abuse, past immoral sexual behavior, my current thought life in dealing with those things I've done, stealing, lying.....lots. It is always encouraging to see someone successfully dealing with their addictions and past!:hug:

Upvote 0

BlondieLashes

Finally a butterfly...
Aug 1, 2005
✟19,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey Jenn - it sounds like I am more like you than you may think! I am free of many of my past sins and struggles, but there are many I am still working on with God's help. I know I am always just a step away from giving in!

Loving you in the Lord,

-BlondieLashes

Upvote 0

jenniferstell

May 27, 2005
Texas
✟15,454.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
......just a step away from giving in......

That sounds alot like me. I'm pretty new to living a christian life, though. We only started attending church about 4 months ago. My hubby and I have lived a very sinful life together. I wasn't involved in inappropriate content professionally, but...well....we did alot of bad stuff. I didn't really know it was wrong at the time. I was raised with an attitude of "it feels good, do it." So, I did. I used to think that I wanted to try *everything*....at least once. I made pretty good progress, too. That's why I struggle now with the memory of it all!

Upvote 0

New Creation

*Practise Promiscuous Charity*
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
✟5,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
jenniferstell said:
......just a step away from giving in......

That sounds alot like me. I'm pretty new to living a christian life, though. We only started attending church about 4 months ago. My hubby and I have lived a very sinful life together. I wasn't involved in inappropriate content professionally, but...well....we did alot of bad stuff. I didn't really know it was wrong at the time. I was raised with an attitude of "it feels good, do it." So, I did. I used to think that I wanted to try *everything*....at least once. I made pretty good progress, too. That's why I struggle now with the memory of it all!

blondie, that's an amazingly relevant scripture for many of us with substance abuse problems and addictions of every kind. Thank you for sharing it!

Hi Jennifer,
Congratulations on seeing the light! Isn't it amazing what we can see when our eyes are no longer blinded?
I understand how you feel about struggling with memories of the past. It's really difficult sometimes. Once in a while, a vivid picture of something comes up clearly in my brain. This is where we have to try and take every thought captive to Christ. When this happens, I try to sing a hymn to the Lord and pray right on the spot. It doesn't always work, but it helps. When you are a new Christian, whatshisname will do all he can to discourage you, so fight back! Ask the Lord to help you here!
And sister, don't you worry about your past anymore because you have NEW LIFE in Christ! You are a whole NEW CREATION, the old is gone, the new has come!
Heavenly Father,
I thank you so much for showing Jennifer and her husband your love for them and the light that they have in Christ! YOu are amazing! Lord, I just ask you now that you will send some special mentors to them who can encourage them and teach them about You. I pray that they will have a special connection with each other and feel comfortable even when challenging each other. I pray for your protection around this couple and for your wisdom to come upon them. I pray for voracious appetites for your Word Father, and discernment as the Spirit speaks to them. Thank you sweet Father,
In Jesus' Name,
Amen.

Upvote 0

BlondieLashes

Finally a butterfly...
Aug 1, 2005
✟19,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good morning Ladies! I didn't realize how right I was the other day when I wrote "I am just a step away from giving in"! Darn it!!!!!

At work yesterday (I work at an animal hospital now) I was feeling rather grumpy and moody (I had just recieved my paycheck and my employer has figured out a way to cut everyone's overtime which means my check was close to $300 dollars LESS than usual!!!)

Anyway, I was fuming and frowning and complaining and my co-workers started in about how grumpy I was and how I am "always" happy and what was wrong with me, etc....

Being the ultimate people pleaser I felt like I had to get myself "up and bubbly". I turned to my Vicodin prescription that I had in my purse...did I take 1 or 2??? Noooooooooo - I ended up taking 6 within 3 hours - and my mood suddenly was perky again!

I have confessed this to God (and I know He forgives me) and I called my psychologist who called me right back and suggested that at our next meeting that we discuss me going on disability for anywhere from 4-12 months and he wants me to attend AA or NA meetings (as soon as my disability begins). He said he wants me to do 90 meetings in 90 days!!!! Geeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz!!! Talk about punishment!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, now my hubby and I are praying about whether or not I should go out on disability and follow my shrink's plan. The job I am at now is the first "straight" job I have been able to hold for a few years....although it is also an environment where believe it or not substance abuse abounds as I am surrounded by vets that write prescriptions for employee's "animals" all the time that can be filled at a human pharmacy.... prescriptions like xanax, valium, vicodin, etc. all of which are problems for me... so maybe this is God's way of getting me out of there.

Please pray for me. I want to make the right decision!!!!

Love in Christ,

Blondie Lashes

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jenniferstell

May 27, 2005
Texas
✟15,454.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
BlondieLashes.....I am definitely praying for you! Don't beat yourself up too much, though. Just get right back up and dust yourself off and keep on living the way God wants you to! We'll never be perfect, but God understands that and He forgives us if we are truly repentant! {{HUGS}}

Upvote 0

Laurel Crowned

Veteran
Feb 11, 2004
Hawaii
✟10,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Blondielashes,

Since you asked me to read your thread and then give feedback... I read it. I could give you a knee-jerk answer, but I'd like to pray for you before I say anything. I'll send you a PM later this evening or tomorrow at the latest.

Holy Spirit,

Please give Blondielashes the wisdom to know how to proceed, be the voice that says to her, "This is the way walk in it."

~Amen

Upvote 0

New Creation

*Practise Promiscuous Charity*
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
✟5,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
BlondieLashes said:
Good morning Ladies! I didn't realize how right I was the other day when I wrote "I am just a step away from giving in"! Darn it!!!!!

At work yesterday (I work at an animal hospital now) I was feeling rather grumpy and moody (I had just recieved my paycheck and my employer has figured out a way to cut everyone's overtime which means my check was close to $300 dollars LESS than usual!!!)

Anyway, I was fuming and frowning and complaining and my co-workers started in about how grumpy I was and how I am "always" happy and what was wrong with me, etc....

Being the ultimate people pleaser I felt like I had to get myself "up and bubbly". I turned to my Vicodin prescription that I had in my purse...did I take 1 or 2??? Noooooooooo - I ended up taking 6 within 3 hours - and my mood suddenly was perky again!

I have confessed this to God (and I know He forgives me) and I called my psychologist who called me right back and suggested that at our next meeting that we discuss me going on disability for anywhere from 4-12 months and he wants me to attend AA or NA meetings (as soon as my disability begins). He said he wants me to do 90 meetings in 90 days!!!! Geeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz!!! Talk about punishment!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, now my hubby and I are praying about whether or not I should go out on disability and follow my shrink's plan. The job I am at now is the first "straight" job I have been able to hold for a few years....although it is also an environment where believe it or not substance abuse abounds as I am surrounded by vets that write prescriptions for employee's "animals" all the time that can be filled at a human pharmacy.... prescriptions like xanax, valium, vicodin, etc. all of which are problems for me... so maybe this is God's way of getting me out of there.

Please pray for me. I want to make the right decision!!!!

Love in Christ,

Blondie Lashes

Hey sister,:hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm so sorry honey.

You and your hubby are doing the right thing in praying about this. It's a big decision and you need the Lord to show you what He wants you to do. I'll be praying also. Don't rush this. I'd be inclined to follow your doc's advice too. Does he know that you follow the Lord? To me, that would be really important.

Holy Father in Heaven,
We ask that your will be done in this matter of BlondieLashes' struggle with mind-altering substances. Father, please clearly show her and her husband Your will so that there will be no doubt or confusion as they seek to serve you. I thank you for forgiving her Jesus! You are so merciful! Please help her to overcome this addiction Lord until she is only addicted to You. Give her the strength she needs and give her wisdom Lord in seeking answers. Thank you for bringing her to us so that we may serve you by serving her! I pray this through the power of the Mighty Holy Spirit in Jesus' Christ's Holy Name,
AMEN.

Thanks for coming to us sister. :)

Upvote 0