Elvis Presley vs. Michael Jackson vs the Beatles.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What did he take medication for?
To wake up and to go to sleep. That was every day.

Before going on tours he went on some really aggressive diet pills, often dropping over 50 lbs in a few weeks.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Was Elvis was people would consider a drug addict?
Addict? Unknown.

I think a better descriptor would be an abuser of prescription medications.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In that case, MJ was the best all round musician. He could sing, write and he could dance..better than elvis, beatles couldnt dance.

While Mj didnt play instrument specifically, he orchestrated and choreographed all his music.
And not only that, he involved his fans with his music in a way elvis amd beatles never did. Like he would get childen up singing and dancing with him. He gave back to fans..he touched them personally. In an emotional way, a childlike way.
But he was much maligned for this.

What about the fact that the Beatles had more top songs than either one? They were more innovative than Elvis no question (a lot of his early music was just 1950's dance-just fun music, not really great). Jackson was a singer, songwriter, and performer, just like the Beatles all were-and Elvis was a solely a singer/performer who wasn't very good or efficient at any particular instrument.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Elvis was an ok acoustic guitarist, but not a great one. He wrote nothing AFAIK.

But he was a ground breaker in a way the others weren't. Had Elvis "the pelvis" not done his gyrations on stage, would the way have been open for MJ to do his dances on stage? Perhaps not.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Elvis's voice was the best of all of them. I would argue he was one of the best, if not the best, singer of all time, even surpassing Michael Jackson in his vocal ability.
I think some people are gifted songwriters, and musicians but crappy singers! Eg carole King. (Sorry carole! But she just dont have the chops)
So..i think its voice for me...i cannot listen to a song thats been murdered.
Most accomplished and gifted pop/soft rock voices, imo, Roy Orbison and Whitney Houston.

It's really hard to compare the three in this thread. They were all very different and their influenced the art in very different ways. I'd say they were equally important. All around gifted talents, Michael Jackson.

Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, I've been into the 'big O' recently.
In Dreams is amazing.
Whitney has always been jaw droppingly good, when she was in her hey-day. Its sad that she lost it all, to drugs/cocaine etc.

Maybe start another thread on singers who are amazing to hear. Karen carpenter would be top of my list.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well..each was best in their different areas.

Mj. Best performer, dancer, showman
Elvis. Best singer
Beatles, best songwriters.

Happy?

Even as a singer, wouldn't you say Elvis's 50s music, a big part of his career, was highly overrated? I mean, it was just rock and roll with no real substance-the 50s equivalent of top 40 pop artists? Songs like, "Hound Dog" and "Jailhouse Rock" aren't even on the same level of talent as the Beatles or Michael Jackson. "If I can Dream", "Sweet Caroline", "Love me Tender", "My Way", "now or never" and "in the ghetto", a list of my favorite songs from Elvis in the 60s and 70s, in the later part of Elvis's career, are very good, but Michael Jackson and the Beatles are easily 100x better than his earlier music.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Elvis early music wasnt very good IMHO. ly groundbreaking at the time but nothing comoared to what came later. When he got serious about music and not peddling rockn roll trash.

He actually didnt like it himself but it got him in the spotlight. He was better at ballads.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Elvis early music wasnt very good IMHO. ly groundbreaking at the time but nothing comoared to what came later. When he got serious about music and not peddling rockn roll trash.

He actually didnt like it himself but it got him in the spotlight. He was better at ballads.

What's your favorite Elvis ballad? Mine is Sweet Caroline. I've literally listened to it for hours this week.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I actually like most of the music for all three. I view Presley and Jackson as tragic figures. I think John Lennon was and is overrated. He was neither working class, nor a nice/good man, nor a good father, nor any kind of peace promoter. He was a hypocrite.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I actually like most of the music for all three. I view Presley and Jackson as tragic figures. I think John Lennon was and is overrated. He was neither working class, nor a nice/good man, nor a good father, nor any kind of peace promoter. He was a hypocrite.

What about Paul Mccartney-do you think he was a better person than Lennon, character-wise?

Upvote 0