✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
http://www.beliefnet.com/story/171/story_17187_1.html

Tantawi told the worshippers that "even polytheists who come to Egypt to see its civilization, who didn't come to harm you, you have to protect them and treat them in a good way."

The cleric used the Arabic word "mushrikin" - "polytheists" - a word heavy with negative connotations in Islam. The Quran, Islam's holy book, repeatedly denounces "mushrikin," while accepting Jews and Christians as fellow monotheists. Islamic radicals often rail against "shirk" - polytheism - and its followers.

Tantawi has emerged as a strong voice against terrorism in recent months. In early July, he harshly condemned Islamic insurgents in Iraq - who even some moderate Muslims feel are fighting for a just cause against U.S. occupation - saying all Iraqis and Arabs should unite to purge Iraq of "their filth and viciousness."

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm looking for a transcript of the khutbah (Friday sermon). I'll link to it if I find it.

In addition to Tantawi, Egypt's top Mufti, Dr. Ali Joma was also there. These two are the top Islamic authorities in Egypt.

Usually, what Tantawi and Joma say becomes official Egyptian policy (or Egyptian policy becomes what Tantawi and Joma say, depending on the circumstances). I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that Mubarak is planning something big.

Upvote 0