Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
U.S.A.
✟56,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I always drink a whey protein shake with frozen berries and a little water with my vitamins in the morning before going to work out. I find it keeps me from getting hungry. And it keeps me from losing my energy before I'm done with my cardio. (usually do cardio for an hour or so...without the shake I start to whimp out after about 30 minutes ;) )

When I get home I make a big salad with fish cooked in olive oil with various spices including garlic (good for the heart) . Fish is the best protein after working out in my opinion. Because it gives me exactly what I need to keep going. Plus...fish is brain food, and who doesn't need that right?

Buy a blender...it's not going to kill you to have a fruit protein shake...it'll probably make you feel better. Don't be afraid...it's just an appliance. :D ;)

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Wisdom Seeker said:
I always drink a whey protein shake with frozen berries and a little water with my vitamins in the morning before going to work out. I find it keeps me from getting hungry. And it keeps me from losing my energy before I'm done with my cardio. (usually do cardio for an hour or so...without the shake I start to whimp out after about 30 minutes ;) )

When I get home I make a big salad with fish cooked in olive oil with various spices including garlic (good for the heart) . Fish is the best protein after working out in my opinion. Because it gives me exactly what I need to keep going. Plus...fish is brain food, and who doesn't need that right?

Buy a blender...it's not going to kill you to have a fruit protein shake...it'll probably make you feel better. Don't be afraid...it's just an appliance. :D ;)
L., we have very similar eating habits! I tend to eat a lot of eggs too.

You know, 22 years isn't really that much of an age difference if you really think about it....
love6.gif

Upvote 0

Bear

Jan 15, 2004
✟450.00
Faith
Christian
K... here's some more food for thought SOF (pun intended).

We have company coming over for dinner tonight and seeing as I'll be preparing chicken pamesan with pasta, I decided to make today a refeed day.

With that in mind, my post workout meal this morning was:

3 cups multi-grain Cheerios
1.5 cup 1% milk
with a scoop of 100% whey
a packet of Splenda
and 1 medium orange

breakdown
Cal: 672
Fat: 9g
Carbs: 111g
- Fiber: 10g
Protein: 44g

:)

Upvote 0

~Wisdom Seeker~

INFP the Healer
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
U.S.A.
✟56,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bear, I know you're very knowledgable about nutrition and health.(don't you own a chain of gyms? We had a Bear gym out here when we moved here, but it's 24 hour fitness now) Cheerios are great, but this is a woman you're talking to. How about offering her a portion she could actually eat? It's just way too much food for one meal for a girl.

I don't trust Splenda either. They used to say that Nutrisweet had no side effects and had the same chemical composition as sugar too. Everythings fine and dandy with "new" artificial sweetners...until someone gets cancer 10 years down the road and some doctor stumbles on the coorelation.

I know from reading your posts that you like to eat a lot of milk products and starches. But you have to consider that these foods are also according to more recent studies responsible for blood sugar levels and saratonin levels going askew with women. Basically these foods make women more hungry. And artificial sugar effects the brain exactly like sugar does. Which means that it's metabolized like sugar and stored like sugar, it still turns into fat.

SOF, Eating 3 cups of cereal will probably zap your energy, and although you're only 20, I'm sure you would rather keep your energy level high after working out, let alone keep your brain allert. I wouldn't do it. Woman's needs are just different than mens needs. What works for them, will sabotage us.

And Brent Thank you. ;)

Upvote 0

Bear

Jan 15, 2004
✟450.00
Faith
Christian
Wisdom Seeker said:
Bear, I know you're very knowledgable about nutrition and health.(don't you own a chain of gyms? We had a Bear gym out here when we moved here, but it's 24 hour fitness now)
LOL! I wish!

Cheerios are great, but this is a woman you're talking to. How about offering her a portion she could actually eat? It's just way too much food for one meal for a girl.
I did say it was my refeed day. I didn't mean for her to necessarily eat as much as I do either.

I don't trust Splenda either. They used to say that Nutrisweet had no side effects and had the same chemical composition as sugar too. Everythings fine and dandy with "new" artificial sweetners...until someone gets cancer 10 years down the road and some doctor stumbles on the coorelation.
Point well taken.

I know from reading your posts that you like to eat a lot of milk products and starches.
Only on refeed days.

But you have to consider that these foods are also according to more recent studies responsible for blood sugar levels and saratonin levels going askew with women. Basically these foods make women more hungry. And artificial sugar effects the brain exactly like sugar does. Which means that it's metabolized like sugar and stored like sugar, it still turns into fat.
I never said that my way was the only way to reduce body fat, and I know some women who successfuly cut utilizing those foods within carb cycling diets, and once again, they are only eaten on refeed or carb-up days.

I am only here to try and help others with the proven plans I've found that have worked for countless natural bodybuilders and myself.

Upvote 0

Sign Of The Fish Burger

Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2003
✟58,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Bear said:
K... here's some more food for thought SOF (pun intended).

We have company coming over for dinner tonight and seeing as I'll be preparing chicken pamesan with pasta, I decided to make today a refeed day.

With that in mind, my post workout meal this morning was:

3 cups multi-grain Cheerios
1.5 cup 1% milk
with a scoop of 100% whey
a packet of Splenda
and 1 medium orange

breakdown
Cal: 672
Fat: 9g
Carbs: 111g
- Fiber: 10g
Protein: 44g

:)
Yummm.... sounds like my kinda breakfast!!
Oh can orange juice subsitute for the orange? Or would there be too much sugar in orange juice?

Upvote 0

Bear

Jan 15, 2004
✟450.00
Faith
Christian
Sign Of The Fish said:
Yummm.... sounds like my kinda breakfast!!
Oh can orange juice subsitute for the orange?
Sure, but you only get 1 cup of cereal with half a cup of skim milk mixed with half a scoop of vanilla ice cream flavored 100% whey protein powder, you have WS to thank for that ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Wisdom Seeker~

INFP the Healer
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
U.S.A.
✟56,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There you go...a girl sized portion. That's more like it. Thanks Bear. ;)

I prefer to keep it simple. Helps slow the aging process when we women get back to basics.

It's a cruel joke. Aging. But I guess its' just God's way of getting us used to going to Heaven in 40 or so years! I'm okay with it. I'm very good at zigging when life zaggs. Optimism should be my middle name. :D

Bear, very disappointed that you're not the famous fitness Bear that I always thought you were. You should think about going into that field. Seriously. ;)

Upvote 0

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
Can I add to this? The original question was about eating after a workout. I have been told that I should wait 1 hour after a workout before eating at all (this is with weight-loss being one of my objectives). That is the longest hour in my day. But, is that right? Should one wait that long after working out?

Peace

JD

Upvote 0

Joe84

Wayne "Roonaldo" Rooney
Nov 1, 2003
Glasgow
✟473.00
Faith
Christian
Bear, I have to disagree with you about the complex carbs. Straight after (yeah - straight after - no waiting around) training you want a meal consisting of 75-100 grams of high GI (simple) carbs and around 30-50 grams of complete protein, and as little fat as possible (not even essential fats). Creatine is optional. This will give you a meal of between 420 and 600 calories. This may be too much for you (for example if you're cutting, splitting 1800 calories a day into 6 meals = 300 calories per meal) or too little (for example if you're bulking, splitting 3600 calories a day into 6 meals = 600 calories per meal), but stay within these guidlines anyway - it makes the best recovery meal.

Yes, the simple carbs will cause an insulin spike, but that is exactly what you want. Remember that insulin is an anabolic hormone. It will "force feed" the protein (and creatine) into your muscles, helping them repair (and therefore recover) faster. It also means that the post-workout meal can feel (psychologically) like a "cheat meal", making it easier to stay on your diet the rest of the time.

Upvote 0

Bear

Jan 15, 2004
✟450.00
Faith
Christian
Joe84 said:
Bear, I have to disagree with you about the complex carbs. Straight after (yeah - straight after - no waiting around) training you want a meal consisting of 75-100 grams of high GI (simple) carbs and around 30-50 grams of complete protein, and as little fat as possible (not even essential fats). Creatine is optional. This will give you a meal of between 420 and 600 calories. This may be too much for you (for example if you're cutting, splitting 1800 calories a day into 6 meals = 300 calories per meal) or too little (for example if you're bulking, splitting 3600 calories a day into 6 meals = 600 calories per meal), but stay within these guidlines anyway - it makes the best recovery meal.

Yes, the simple carbs will cause an insulin spike, but that is exactly what you want. Remember that insulin is an anabolic hormone. It will "force feed" the protein (and creatine) into your muscles, helping them repair (and therefore recover) faster. It also means that the post-workout meal can feel (psychologically) like a "cheat meal", making it easier to stay on your diet the rest of the time.
It all depends on what ones current goal is.

If it is primarily muscle recovery, your way works, but still not necessary...

But, and this is specific to the person who began this thread, if the goal is body fat reduction, insulin spikes shut down any and all fat melting and may actually cause fat storage even if one is in a calorie deficit!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ariel

Servant
Apr 4, 2004
West Texas
✟77,274.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jonathan David said:
Can I add to this? The original question was about eating after a workout. I have been told that I should wait 1 hour after a workout before eating at all (this is with weight-loss being one of my objectives). That is the longest hour in my day. But, is that right? Should one wait that long after working out?

Peace

JD
Hey Jonathan, I was told by my trainer that it is important to eat withing 90 minutes of working out. In other words, eat as soon as you can.

Also, drink lots of water.

I've found that a Zone bar and a cup of tea within 30 minutes after a work out satifies me. (There's 210 calories in a Zone bar, 14 grams of protein and 24 grams of carbs). I watch my diet also, looking for a well-balanced diet of protein, carbs, fruits and veggies, etc, and very little sugar. Something else I've learned in the last months is to watch my protein intake. I tend to grab carbs--and if I do I'm hungry all the time. I aim for at least 90 grams of protein per day. I've had a good result--I've lost 15 pounds of fat since October, and gained six pounds of muscle.

Upvote 0