New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Easter Morning

If this story touches your heart, give God all the glory for making it possible. If it touches your heart, let me know so that it may inspire me to write other stories. If it touches your heart consider sharing it with someone else, either by e-mailing it or printing it. If someone has shared this story with you and you wish to receive more of my stories, you can e-mail me at moviesteve@rocketmail.com and I will add you to my list.

Johnny was excited. Johnny loved going to the store with his father, so when Johnny’s father asked him if he would like to go to the store, Johnny was eager to go.

It was Good Friday. Johnny got excited on Thursday when his mother told him that his father would not have to work the next day, but Johnny’s Good Friday quickly turned from great to tragic.

A car’s brakes screeched as Johnny’s father headed across the parking lot, but the driver could not stop soon enough.

“Get up, daddy! Get up!” Johnny cried as he bent over his father, who laid motionless in the parking lot.

Neither Johnny nor his mother Karen felt like taking part in the church’s Easter egg hunt the next day, but on Sunday morning Karen knew where she and Johnny needed to be.

“Come on, Johnny! Time to get up! We have to go to church for the Easter sunrise service.”

Karen knew this was where she and Johnny would receive the most comfort, and comfort was what both of them needed at that time. Some of the same people would be at the visitation at the funeral home that evening, but Karen needed someone then, and so did Johnny.

Finding it a struggle to get ready, Karen and Johnny arrived at the outdoor service just as it began.

Just as the pastor finished his message, the sun peeped over the horizon. Almost immediately, people started coming up to Karen and Johnny offering their condolences.

As Karen looked at Johnny, she noticed a change in him.

“I guess these hugs must have had an effect on Johnny. He almost looks like he’s smiling,” Karen thought to herself.

Karen took Johnny home for some much needed rest between the sunrise service and the regular service, only to return for the pastor’s second message of the day.

“Let’s hurry to that place where daddy was last night,” Johnny told his mother.

“We’ll leave in a few minutes,” Karen replied, puzzled by his request.

When they arrived at the funeral home, Johnny bounded out of the car and headed inside. It was all Karen could do to keep up with him.

Johnny hurried into the room where his father lay, looked up and came to an abrupt halt. Johnny froze and his tears began to flow. After a few moments, Johnny inched toward the casket, and stretched up to whisper in his father’s ear.

“Daddy, if Jesus could come back, why can’t you?”

Johnny felt an arm on his shoulder as his mother tried her best to console him, and he turned to face her.

After they embraced for a few minutes, Johnny broke the silence.

“Well, if I can’t have my daddy, I’m glad Jesus got him.”

+++++++

Life is not fair. If life was fair, every child would grow up with two loving parents and no one would go to bed hungry. It is hard for adults to understand why bad things happen, so how can we expect a child to understand?

A small child cannot understand why one of his or her parents has to die so young, or why God chooses to take one of his or her grandparents to heaven. Nor can a small child understand why his or her parents no longer want to live together.

Sometimes children have to try to figure out why their father drinks all the time or why he hits their mother. Other times they have trouble understanding why parents tell their children that they love them, but then are never around to spend time with them.

No, life is not fair. Many children and adults feel pain each day, pain that has been caused by death, neglect, desertion, abuse, or merely being overwhelmed by their circumstances.

However, there is One who not only has suffered more pain than any of us has suffered, but more pain than any of us can imagine.

Copyright 2000 Steve Demaree, Stories From The Heart

=====
Steve Demaree
1608 Summerhill Drive
Lexington, KY 40515
(606) 271-2416
moviesteve@rocketmail.com
Submitted by Richard