Eastern Orthodox Neophyte
Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
✟30,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I have seen Easter Egg Icons that are made of wood at different websites for sale and I was wondering if these are seasonal decorations for Easter much like Christmas trees would be for Christmas. If so when are they displayed? Some also have fancy metal stands as well like the one in this link:

5.7" EASTER FILIGREE EGG ICON RELIGIOUS ST-PETERSBURG RUSSIAN FABERGE TRADITIONS | eBay

Are there any traditions behind these or are they just a different type of icon?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wondered that too. Other than seeing them for sale online, I've never heard about them.

I was given some pretty egg decorations from someone at Church that I wonder if they are in the same category, but mine are eggs that look like butterflies and flowers painted on the, cut out in fancy filigreed around that, and mounted on a stand. (All in plastic actually.) I put mine as any other bric-a-brac where I thought they would look nice ...

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Are there any traditions behind these or are they just a different type of icon?

Wiki has a listing under Faberge Egg. It seems their origin lie in the 1800's when the Tsar ordered one made for his wife possibly for an anniversary. Interesting read:
Fabergé egg - Wikipedia

I have a few which i bought from my parish long ago painted by a local iconographer. They are meant to be on display whenever, not seasonal. Here is my collection:
20170124_162904.jpg

Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So I have seen Easter Egg Icons that are made of wood at different websites for sale and I was wondering if these are seasonal decorations for Easter much like Christmas trees would be for Christmas. If so when are they displayed? Some also have fancy metal stands as well like the one in this link:

5.7" EASTER FILIGREE EGG ICON RELIGIOUS ST-PETERSBURG RUSSIAN FABERGE TRADITIONS | eBay

Such Easter egg icons are normally displayed at Easter. :confused:

Upvote 0