New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Earthlings

Oblong had just returned from his mission to the distant planet Earth. As was the custom, he was to report his findings to The Great One upon his return. He was anxious to do that after this particular visit, because he had never seen anyone quite like these Earthlings. As he contemplated what he wanted to report, The Great One entered. After brief formalities, Oblong began to reveal his findings.

Welcome back, Oblong. Please come and tell me about your journey. What was it like?

You will not believe it, Great One, but I will do my best to share what I have learned. Earthling creatures who live in surrounding habitats are called neighbors. Earthlings have a word called neighborly, but it has nothing to do with how these creatures treat their neighbors. Most of them do not even know the names these neighbors call themselves.

How strange, Oblong. Tell me more.

Earthlings practice strange customs with their loved ones. Many of them treat their loved ones better after they die. They all gather at a place where the loved one lies and talk of how wonderful the loved one was. They also have a custom of sending flowers to this event.

How strange it is that they wait until the loved one can no longer hear the words of kindness before they speak them and they wait until the loved one can no longer smell the flowers until they give them. Are you sure about this, Oblong?

Yes, Great One. These events are extremely popular. Many Earthlings do not take the time to see their loved ones until they die. They are always too busy existing, but if one of these events is scheduled, they are suddenly no longer too busy and gather with one another to offer kind words about the deceased.

What a strange custom. Tell me more, Oblong.

Like other creatures, Earthlings multiply by having young Earthlings. They show their offspring how much they care for them by going out and accumulating large amounts of green paper to leave to them after they have gone through the ceremony where other Earthlings gather and say kind words about them and send them flowers.

But what good is this green paper?

This paper seems to be a substitute. See, these Earthlings do not spend time with their offspring when they are alive. Many times the Earthlings and their offspring gather together to watch a box with talking pictures. The offspring are taught at any early age that they must not speak while they are watching the talking picture box as a unit, because the talking picture box gives them ideas on how to live.”

Go on, Oblong.

Sometimes, Earthlings speak to their offspring. Many of them spend at least two minutes a day doing this. This is usually done by the mother Earthlings. After all, the father Earthling is seldom at the habitat because he is accumulating large amounts of green paper to leave them.

There are many other strange customs of these Earthlings, but probably the strangest of these Earthlings are the ones who call themselves Christians. Supposedly, they believe in a supreme being called God who sent his son Jesus to show these Christians how to live and to die for them, and to live again so that these Earthlings can live forever with him and his father.

Many of these Earthlings say they believe this. They say that this is the best thing that can happen to them. Evidently, this is something they are not to reveal to any other Earthlings who do not call themselves Christians, because very few Christians tell other Earthlings about this Jesus, unless they are sure that this person already knows of Jesus. It seems to be the only thing these Earthlings are not allowed to discuss with other Earthlings, because they are quick to share all other knowledge with anyone.

Tell me more about these Christians.

Many of these Christians are judges, because they talk harshly about other Christians and all others who do not believe and live exactly as they do and are quick to condemn others. However, one Earthling shared with me that this policy is called casting stones which is something Jesus taught them not to do.

So you mean that these Earthlings say they follow Jesus, but do not do what he tells them to do?

That is correct, Great One.

How strange. How very strange.

Oblong shared many stories with The Great One about his visit with the Earthlings. The Great One had heard of many missions to distant places, but had never heard any tales like the ones Oblong shared. It was almost enough to make him want to visit these Earthlings so that he could see for himself, but he would not, because he had no desire to be with creatures such as these. The Great One was thankful that he was not an Earthling, for their customs were too strange for him to practice.

Copyright 2001 Steve Demaree

To God Be The Glory!

=====
Steve Demaree
1608 Summerhill Drive
Lexington, KY 40515
(606) 271-2416
moviesteve@rocketmail.com
Submitted by Richard