Dungeons & Dragons: A Christian Perspective

I also played D&D for many years when I was younger ( would again if I could find a good live group, ) was born a follower of the son of God, Jesus Christ, and never once felt it conflicted with my religion, faith, or that it was sinful for me to do so. Believing that it did would be about as silly as those with ignorance of the " game " passing judgements on me or others for partaking in a fine social gathering. Playing a game of D & D is no different then sitting around a camp fire telling fictional stories, watching a movie, or reading a novel... albeit some dice are used.

Also, we need to remember that after our duties are accomplished ( work, church, charity etc. , ) we are free to enjoy ourselves as long as we are conducting ourselves as positive Christians. God wants us to be happy and to do the things we enjoy. God is happy when we are happy, even more exceedingly so than we could ever imagine.

Merry Christmas and may God bless everyone and their families.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

nick garai

Feb 21, 2013
Surrey, British Columbia
✟10,173.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I was a Dungeon Master in the 1980's and for several decades on and off again. When I became a Christian in the mid 1980's I burned all of my books and devoted my life to things spiritual.

I lost my friendship network since AD&D was the glue that bound us together.

Whenever we played we never prayed to other gods alough other gods were involved in the game. We never sacrificedany animals, drank blood or did any of those stupid things that AD&D players are reported doing.

It is a game. There are components of it that are contrary to the Torah, in particular the Pentateuch. But this is only a game. Nothing is acted out for real.

The only time it was ever an issue was when I went to Columbia Bible College and the student body was ordered to conduct surveillance on me to see if I was playing the game at the college.

It is a game and if it is something that you personally feel against then do not play it. I for one don't hold someone's faith against them for playing the game and would never condemn a Christian for playing it.

That's my advice.

Upvote 0

joneysd

Apr 29, 2013
✟3,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been a keen role player for over 30 years now and cut my teeth so to speak on ad&d and have since played untold systems, I have not had a problem with it at all and have not seen any conflict with my faith.
I know a few who have found there faith and stopped role playing, that is there choice because I believe the spirit convicts you of what is and is not right ion your walk..

Upvote 0

sorednax

Champion of the 80's
Aug 11, 2011
East Ohio
✟7,957.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So playing games themed on something God has warned us against is alright as long as it's set in a fantasy land?

What about a paedophile game set on the planet zog? Just fantasy after all.

You must have a more fundamental slant. Do you find watching the film Wizard of Oz offensive toward your Godly walk? After all, it doesn't mention God. It also involves magic, witches, even the notion of good witches. It also promotes homicide as a young Dorothy is sent to kill a witch.

But it's "just a movie after all."

same argument. Curious if you have that level of consistency in your faith.

Upvote 0

nick garai

Feb 21, 2013
Surrey, British Columbia
✟10,173.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I was heavily involved with AD&D in the 80's . I became a Christian and eventually quit playing the game. I never got back into it although I love the game. I have often thought about getting back into it since it was a form of recreational fun for me and quite relaxing to play.

Upvote 0

joneysd

Apr 29, 2013
✟3,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was heavily involved with AD&D in the 80's . I became a Christian and eventually quit playing the game. I never got back into it although I love the game. I have often thought about getting back into it since it was a form of recreational fun for me and quite relaxing to play.

I had a time when i was first saved that i stopped playing AD&D started playing again and loving it...:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So playing games themed on something God has warned us against is alright as long as it's set in a fantasy land?

There is a difference between RPing a character in a fantasy setting that worships a fictious deity and actually worshipping someone other than God in real life...

I was introduced to D&D 3.5 (Forgotten Realms setting) by some current and former coworkers.

Currently I'm rping a Strongheart Halfling Favored Soul named Milo (my 2nd D&D character) that worships Shandikul (sp?), cause I thought it would be funny to have a 3ft tall character that uses a greatsword for a weapon.

I tend to play good-aligned characters in any event, cause I can't play evil characters in a fantasy setting without feeling guilty about it.

As long as people can seperate reality from fantasy, I really don't see what's so bad about D&D.

Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2014
Lansing Mi
✟15,313.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have been playing D & D since 1974. I have heard all the arguments and found them to lacking in truth and wisdom as well as misquoting people and abusing The Word of The Living God. I am the group leader for Counter Culture ministry at my Church. In August we held a game day that was for the gaming community this was a huge success. Most of the people that attended were in no way connected to Christianity. One thing I have noticed about American Christianity is we tend to label things evil without really checking them out or digging deep into what the Word says by going into the original languages. I wish we would stop "taking the word" of these fear peddlers and start searching out the truth.

Upvote 0

Ducas

Mar 17, 2015
✟7,678.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I played the first and second editions of AD&D when I was a kid back in the late 1980s-1990s and I don't recall anything dastardly going on except when it came to, say, trying to convince the DM that you did legitimately get an 18(00) Strength for your fighter character. :)

Most of my time spent playing the game was spent in the Dragonlance setting, which was co-created by Tracy Hickman, who is a believer in Christ and an active member of LDS. I stopped playing AD&D at about the time TSR was bought by Wizards of the Coast.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums