Drunk in the Spirit?

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,547.00
Faith
Christian
I would like you guys to give your opinion on this.

It is totally unbiblical:
1 Peter 4:7 "be of sound judgment and sober spirit"
1 Peter 5:8 "Be alert and of sober mind"
2 Timothy 4:5 "But you, be sober in all things"
Galatians 5:19-21 "Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God."
1 Peter 1:13 "Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober"

Can this be the work of the holy spirit?
How can it be from the Holy Spirit when one of the fruits of the Spirit is self control (Galatians 5:22-23).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not the first time some folks mocked or said these type of manifestations was/is demonic:
"And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this? 13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine." Acts 2:12-13
Even when Yeshua cast out demons, some said it was the enemy's work (Matt 12:24).

Know a believer who was 100% sure it was demonic and when it happened to him, he went through a lot. Is that the case because http://www.christianforums.com/threads/drunk-in-the-spirit.7751196/ Remember reading some of the responses and many agreed with post #1 in that thread. Or is it about the numbers? Because that thread yielded a number of responses. Or is it just time to ridicule other believers' services?

kundalini? For there to be the false, there also has to be the real.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not the first time some folks mocked or said these type of manifestations was/is demonic:
"And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this? 13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine." Acts 2:12-13
Even when Yeshua cast out demons, some said it was the enemy's work (Matt 12:24).

Know a believer who was 100% sure it was demonic and when it happened to him, he went through a lot. Is that the case because http://www.christianforums.com/threads/drunk-in-the-spirit.7751196/ Remember reading some of the responses and many agreed with post #1. Or is it the numbers? Because that thread yielded a number of responses. Or is just time to ridicule other believers' services?

kundalini? For there to be the false, there also has to be the real.

So what them is the criteria that is used to determine this? Because the bible does speak of there being many false prophets working wonders. Obviously, there will be certain manifestations that will go along with it. So how do we know. Now I do not think anyone can argue that this looks ridiculous. That doesn't mean its not of the spirit but it does look ridiculous. Why would the holy spirit create manifestations such as this?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Nope! That's Satanic.

I don't know that we should assume the work of the devil. Humans behaving strangely is a pretty good explanation.

Either way, it's certainly not the Holy Spirit.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
posted: "Now I do not think anyone can argue that this looks ridiculous." "Why would the holy spirit create manifestations such as this?"

Yes, it does look ridiculous - totally agree. Isaiah walked around naked for 3 years (Isa 20:3); Hosea married a prostitute (Hos 1:2); Elijah and Baal's group conflict recorded in I Kings 18. These accounts as well as dozens others sound ridiculous as well.

Many non-believers think that no matter which denomination we are, we're all absurd because we believe the gospel message.

So don't see how we can use "it looks ridiculous" as our measuring sticks. Even if I don't understand it, know that everything Yahweh does has a purpose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
posted: "Now I do not think anyone can argue that this looks ridiculous." "Why would the holy spirit create manifestations such as this?"

Yes, it does look ridiculous - totally agree. Isaiah walked around naked for 3 years (Isa 20:3); Hosea married a prostitute (Hos 1:2); Elijah and Baal's group conflict recorded in I Kings 18. These accounts as well as dozens others sound ridiculous as well.

Many non-believers think that no matter which denomination we are, we're all absurd because we believe the gospel message.

So don't see how we can use "it looks ridiculous" as our measuring sticks. Even if I don't understand it, know that everything Yahweh does has a purpose.

So out of everything I said and all the pertinent questions I asked about how one goes about making the distinction, you reply only the one line where i said it looks ridiculous? I already immediately stated afterward that it looking ridiculous does not necessarily mean it is not of the spirit.

In everything you mentioned there was a purpose. What is the purpose of this holy laughter, drunk in the spirit situation. This same Kenneth Copeland who was Drunk in the Spirit said that God is the Biggest Failure in the bible. That's the insight that one gets when they are filled with the spirit?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Mine heart within me is broken because of the prophets; all my bones shake; I am like a drunken man, and like a man whom wine hath overcome, because of the Lord, and because of the words of his holiness. (Jeremiah 23:9)

1 Samuel 19

19 And it was told Saul, saying, Behold, David is at Naioth in Ramah.

20 And Saul sent messengers to take David: and when they saw the company of the prophets prophesying, and Samuel standing as appointed over them, the Spirit of God was upon the messengers of Saul, and they also prophesied.

21 And when it was told Saul, he sent other messengers, and they prophesied likewise. And Saul sent messengers again the third time, and they prophesied also.

22 Then went he also to Ramah, and came to a great well that is in Sechu: and he asked and said, Where are Samuel and David? And one said, Behold, they be at Naioth in Ramah.

23 And he went thither to Naioth in Ramah: and the Spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on, and prophesied, until he came to Naioth in Ramah.

24 And he stripped off his clothes also, and prophesied before Samuel in like manner, and lay down naked all that day and all that night. Wherefore they say, Is Saul also among the prophets?

A lot of teachings like this are based on one passage in the old testament, the idea to "get anointing" from music comes from one passage where the kings meet with Elisha and ask him to prophesy. What matters when these passages are applied is 1) The result is based in the core of Godly teaching love God and your neighbour as yourself. 2) Results in people relating to one another that correlates with the fruit of the spirit in Galatians. 3) When examining the phenomena remember to judge with mercy .. for example with drunkenness the proverbs instructs the response of wisdom which also takes into account compassion:

Let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more. (Proverbs 31:7)

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
PK, Sorry I only addressed just one statement of your earlier post. Don't think folks read long posts imo so that's why. Agree with you that Kenneth Copeland can say some stuff that seems out there but don't listen to his entire sessions to get his point. So I can't comment on that.

Back to odd behavior. There are Scriptures that say folks fell - in all directions such as
-2Ch 5:14 "So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God."
-Rev 1:17 "And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:"
-Eze 44:4 "Then brought he me the way of the north gate before the house: and I looked, and, behold, the glory of the LORD filled the house of the LORD: and I fell upon my face."
-"They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.” John 18:5-6

Can we say with certainty what Yahweh's purpose was? But on the other hand, do we think we could stand in His manifested presence without it affecting us?

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Seriously, I have seen times when it was the Holy Spirit and times when it was just flesh running rampant.
Those who are spiritual can evaluate all things, but they themselves cannot be evaluated by others. (1 Corinthians 2:15)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know that we should assume the work of the devil. Humans behaving strangely is a pretty good explanation.

Either way, it's certainly not the Holy Spirit.

-CryptoLutheran
I'm going 100% by personal experience on the matter.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm going 100% by personal experience on the matter.
According to my personal experience, it is not ALWAYS Satanic. Not even close. I'd say it's flesh most of the time, the Holy Spirit some of the time, and Satan rarely, but again that is my experience.....

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to my personal experience, it is not ALWAYS Satanic. Not even close. I'd say it's flesh most of the time, the Holy Spirit some of the time, and Satan rarely, but again that is my experience.....
Who controls flesh? I mean lets take for instance the man and the woman who just suddenly slid of their chair. They had no control over that happening, i'm sure. If you ask them they would tell you that they didn't decide to do that. That's more than flesh. There is a power that is guiding this and it is either the Holy Spirit or a false spirit.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Seems many believers think we have discernment and we all need it but it's different from discerning of spirits (I Cor 12). That gift would provide the answer because it operates from The Holy Spirit

Many accounts that I've read about the laughter said they felt lighter, joyful, and/or appreciative to Yahweh afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: talitha
Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Who controls flesh? I mean lets take for instance the man and the woman who just suddenly slid of their chair. They had no control over that happening, i'm sure. If you ask them they would tell you that they didn't decide to do that. That's more than flesh. There is a power that is guiding this and it is either the Holy Spirit or a false spirit.
People allow flesh to take over. I'm sure we've all done that in one way or another... :p The couple sliding off their chairs - I don't know whether they had control over it or not. The power of hype can cause people to do something like that, and in this case I cannot tell whether that couple is letting flesh take over or the Holy Spirit. However, I don't think it was Satanic.. I know Rodney Howard Browne, and the anointing coming from him is not false. I know many will disagree with me on that, but I will stick with what I know.

Upvote 0