Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Only couple to few weeks since I last had stomach problems. Thankfully it seems more like too much food or water, possibly combination from last night's supper. After some sickness this morning I feel better, hopeful that was it. This lead me to Google about diet and digestion relating to stomach problems.

What's interesting is drinking too much water could cause several problems. Not necessarily life threatening water intoxication, which happens in the most severe of cases. But how it could affect regular bodily functions and even if not deadly could have side-effects. Usually the advice is to drink as much water or eight glasses every day, check your urine to see if you're hydrated.

In the articles below the advice; more the second is remember to listen to your body, drink slowly and remember food has water too, and surprise to me is not to have actual clear urine but light yellow. If you're urinating frequently and during the night, probably drinking too much water. Personally I usually do, but sometimes it's less frequent and then I drinking too much too soon trying to hydrate. What's recommended is once every couple to few hours and not having it interrupt your sleep. But I think the latter depends, if you drink any water before bed regardless you'd probably need to go during the night.

Here's the two articles below for any interested:

How drinking too much water can damage your health - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

http://butterbeliever.com/8-reasons-not-to-drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is true but as first article said, unlikely

The risk of over-hydration is still relatively slim for most people, though. As Johanna Hignett, an adviser to the Natural Hydration Council, explains: "You would need to drink extremely large quantities, in the order of five litres or more within an hour" to be at risk of hyponatraemia.

My company's wellness department does water challenges twice a year.

A few years ago they said we're supposed to drink by body weight and more than 60 oz. a day. They were trying to have me drink like almost 100 oz daily, no way I could comfortably do that - or want to. It's ridiculous, I work a desk job. :confused:

As a funny coincidence, they sent out the new flyer in the email today to every office in our organization state-wide - apparently they need a new proof-reader.

Did you know drinking 8 cups of water a day will make your sink look healthier? :p

3232.jpg

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The "formula" is to drink half your weight in ounces. If you weigh 100 lbs that would be drink 50 oz. But other factors need to be considered. Medications can increase your need. Weather, exercise. Those who have had colon surgery (me) require more as it goes through you faster without being absorbed as much. My lab results since surgery always indicate I am not drinking enough even though it seems like that is all I do---I just about need an IV at this point!

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unsure how much water I drank daily, but my whole weight or even half seems much. Well, in ounces I guess it's not as much as I immediately thought lol. What I'm sure about is the need for moderation, either I'm guzzling it down or not any to little during hours.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Unsure how much water I drank daily, but my whole weight or even half seems much. Well, in ounces I guess it's not as much as I immediately thought lol. What I'm sure about is the need for moderation, either I'm guzzling it down or not any to little during hours.

If you weigh 100 lbs, then it is 50 ounces---or--6.2 cups. If you weigh 200 then it's 100 oz--divided by 8 = 12.5 cups. It's just a starting formula I found somewhere--then you adjust up or down to your own needs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Water intake is well regulated in our natural physiological processes, in general. Certainly, not harmful to be conscience of how much water you are drinking and make sure you get enough.

All in all, water intake will vary quite a bit from person to person. Highly fit and very active people, will have much higher requirements, since muscle is saturated with water and the amount of water lost through perspiration. I can easily lose 4 to 5 pounds after a heavy workout, which is a tad more than a half gallon of water.

Also, it is best to drink room temperature water vs cold, because it is better absorbed by the body. Lastly, these folks that walk around with a water bottle all day, drinking water non stop to lose weight, doesnt really work as advertised.

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you weigh 100 lbs, then it is 50 ounces---or--6.2 cups. If you weigh 200 then it's 100 oz--divided by 8 = 12.5 cups. It's just a starting formula I found somewhere--then you adjust up or down to your own needs.

I'd like during the weekend at home to monitor how much I drink. Though other curiosity there's probably not much need. Today I tried staying aware when drinking from the water I take to work. The result was I drank much slower sipping here and there during the day, compared to waiting then chugging it. Actually what I drank was the same as usual, big difference is I felt more hydrated.

Water intake is well regulated in our natural physiological processes, in general. Certainly, not harmful to be conscience of how much water you are drinking and make sure you get enough.

All in all, water intake will vary quite a bit from person to person. Highly fit and very active people, will have much higher requirements, since muscle is saturated with water and the amount of water lost through perspiration. I can easily lose 4 to 5 pounds after a heavy workout, which is a tad more than a half gallon of water.

Also, it is best to drink room temperature water vs cold, because it is better absorbed by the body. Lastly, these folks that walk around with a water bottle all day, drinking water non stop to lose weight, doesnt really work as advertised.

Yeah, when working during the summer outside it's a huge difference trying to stay hydrated. A small sip here and there wouldn't be enough when facing eighty to hundred degree heat. Not that you should drown yourself chugging it down. But when you do drink water least a few decent size sips and more often when needed. I agree with room temperature, surprisingly it's not as bad as most think. But if it's hot then cold water has it beat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'd like during the weekend at home to monitor how much I drink. Though other curiosity there's probably not much need. Today I tried staying aware when drinking from the water I take to work. The result was I drank much slower sipping here and there during the day, compared to waiting then chugging it. Actually what I drank was the same as usual, big difference is I felt more hydrated.

Yeah, when working during the summer outside it's a huge difference trying to stay hydrated. A small sip here and there wouldn't be enough when facing eighty to hundred degree heat. Not that you should drown yourself chugging it down. But when you do drink water least a few decent size sips and more often when needed. I agree with room temperature, surprisingly it's not as bad as most think. But if it's hot then cold water has it beat.

Cold water on a hot humid day, when you are overheating, is indeed more refreshing.

My point was in regards to the best and quickest way to rehydrate though. If you are somewhat dehydrated and you drink cold water, that water sits in your stomach and will not be absorbed, until the body can heat the water up.

Upvote 0