Follower of Yeshua
May 7, 2010
USA
✟8,563.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
You crazy Americans. I make a point of shaving and combing my fairly long hair, but otherwise it's a t-shirt or a casual button up, boardies and flip-flops/thongs. This is the same for everyone at the church, although most people are more sensible than me and tend to wear Jeans in winter! As far as I can tell the dress code in the vast majority of Australian churches is completely casual. I've never heard it brought up IRL.

That's the way it ought to be! :)

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think we should come to church dressed in our best, in respect for the house of God. But if there's a choice between wearing jeans/flip flops and not going, by all means, go.

But there should be respect for the church house, even if that "house" is a tent, or open air field. Why not offer God your best. I'm not big on dressing up, but I also thing there are some things that are inappropriate for church.

Upvote 0

MPaul

Covered by the Blood
Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
✟8,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You crazy Americans....As far as I can tell the dress code in the vast majority of Australian churches is completely casual.

I've heard of churches with very casual dress during a service also allowing donuts and coffee, soda pop... maybe even popcorn to be enjoyed with all the worship activity. Do you believe that churches which do not permit people to have coffee and a donut during the preaching are just as insane????

Upvote 0

MPaul

Covered by the Blood
Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
✟8,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Old Testament makes note that we should worship God in the beauty of holiness, Psalm 29:2; 96:9;
Thus, the Bible puts an emphasis on our inward condition for how we are to approach worship.

However, does that mean clothing never is a reflection of our sense of holiness or the condition of our spirit??

(It is interesting that the NASB changes these verses to worship in holy attire, or in holy array. The NASB translators held that people in the time of 1,000 B.C. were too ignorant to understand a concept like “the beauty of holiness,” and therefore, these verses have to refer to wearing nice clothes. Thus, the verses serve as an example of how superior, modern day scholarship renders a more “literal” translation of Scripture – referring to what the verses “literally mean” as determined by academic experts, rather than what the verses actually say, which just misleads and confuses modern day people who are still ignorant.)

Anyone who has personally experienced God manifesting his presence will testify how awesome the event is. One never forgets it. When it happens, there is a sense of power in the room that is overwhelming – and instantly one is keenly aware that great respect must be shown. There is no time to think on how casual one might be in reaction, but immediately there is a great concern to be at one's holy best. Historically, Pentecostals have been aware of this fact-- that striving for holiness and showing respect for God has an affect on the Holy Spirit manifesting during a service. If there was ever any question of where to draw a line, it was always decided in making the very best effort to please God. Today, Pentecostals spend a lot of time wondering why the Holy Spirit does not manifest during services as he did in the past – and yet, they are quick to point out all the things Pentecostals did wrong in the past.

However, it appears that the type of dress referenced in starting this thread did not actually bear on the members striving for the presence of God, but the clothing clearly distinguished between the sexes. This distinction in dress is clearly Biblical. People say there should be no dress code, but if the men are wearing dresses and make-up, and the women are in vested, three piece, pin-stipped suits with ties, then all of a sudden these same people say there is a Christian dress code. At one time, a woman wearing pants was considered masculine. That much has changed, but in Christian society, the pants are usually of a feminine design. The secular world in modern times blurs the distinction between the sexes – and very often, it is the first sign of a society going in a direction of non-Christian morality. Some Christian women want to purge the church of an anti-women bias, and there should not be such prejudice – but just how close in appearance to secular society should the end result be for the role of women? Is it crazy to want to maintain the distinction in the role of the sexes that God has in mind, to prefer to make the extra effort to ensure such clarity?

I do not believe in dress codes per se, but I emphasize there should be reflection on our inward condition. I have seen churches turn the issue of dress into a fashion show, which is truly disgusting. However, I do not believe it is proper to ignore entirely to what extent dress can reflect our inner sense of what we are.

Here are some other verses in the Bible which do refer to the significance of the clothing we wear as believers.

Exodus 19:10-16
And the LORD said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them to day and to morrow, and let them wash their clothes, And be ready against the third day: for the third day the LORD will come down in the sight of all the people upon mount Sinai. And thou shalt set bounds unto the people round about, saying, Take heed to yourselves, that ye go not up into the mount, or touch the border of it: whosoever toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death: There shall not an hand touch it, but he shall surely be stoned, or shot through; whether it be beast or man, it shall not live: when the trumpet soundeth long, they shall come up to the mount. And Moses went down from the mount unto the people, and sanctified the people; and they washed their clothes. And he said unto the people, Be ready against the third day: come not at your wives. And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled.

Deuteronomy 22:5
A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman's garment; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD your God.

I Corinthians 11:3-16
But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels. Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord. For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God. Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering. But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

I Peter 3:1-7
Likewise you wives, be submissive to your husbands, so that some, though they do not obey the word, may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, when they see your reverent and chaste behavior. Let not yours be the outward adoring with braiding of hair, decoration of gold, and wearing of robes, but let it be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable jewel of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. So once the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves and were submissive to their husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are now her children if you do right and let nothing terrify you. Likewise you husbands, live considerately with your wives, bestowing honor on the woman as the weaker sex, since you are joint heirs of the grace of life, in order that your prayers may not be hindered.

Upvote 0

WandererOfTheWastes

witty and/or profound title
Jul 5, 2010
Various Western Australia
✟15,237.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've heard of churches with very casual dress during a service also allowing donuts and coffee, soda pop... maybe even popcorn to be enjoyed with all the worship activity. Do you believe that churches which do not permit people to have coffee and a donut during the preaching are just as insane????

Hah, that's pretty unusual! I'm not sure if I'd call it insane but definitely rather impractical, a bit irreverent perhaps, but also really annoying to clean.

But there should be respect for the church house, even if that "house" is a tent, or open air field. Why not offer God your best.
I agree with this, sort of. As I've already stated I'm not one to dress up, but I offer everything in the worship, and when the sermon beings I've got the bible out and am taking notes etc.

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It's just my personal opinion. Nothing scriptural, surely. But I don't get to dress up much, and so church is my "Look at my perdy new dress" time.

Besides, I'm the pastor. Kinda comes with the territory. I think we should wear our best. Whatever that is. But if you come in wearing shorts and flipflops, I would never say a word, as long as you are there to worship God.

Upvote 0

JasonMP

Jul 14, 2010
✟7,623.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Okay I'm new to Pentecostal as well. I love it! But the whole dress-code thing doesn't make sense to me... Here's my thoughts on it...

I believe God sees our hearts, and so your appearance shouldn't matter. Also, some of you were saying that your outward appearance should reflect your dedication to God. I believe that the reflection is merely just a way of showing PEOPLE your dedication, not a reflection unto God. Because God sees the heart. I don't see how you guys can really imagine God up there saying "Wow, that's a nice Abercrombie Shirt Sally's got on". God made us naked without clothes. So actually, it would be more appropriate to attend naked, the way God made us originally. But we can't do that because it wouldn't be permitted, by who? PEOPLE.... Clothing is still apart of this sinful world and I believe we dress to give a better impression unto PEOPLE not God. It's ridiculous to think your actually dressing for the lord.

As for the make-up, it's a little different but the same thing applies. In the bible it never actually says that make-up is forbidden. What it says is "not to mask your face". Who knows, maybe it was actually referring to REAL MASKS. Make-up isn't masking your face, but rather improving. But then again, these type of things are done for people. You want to wear make-up because you feel better, why? Because you want PEOPLE to see you in this way.

Well... that's my thoughts. I really am looking forward to what you guys have to say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blackbyrd

addicted to the presence of God
Mar 27, 2006
MS
✟23,343.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
I made a comment in a recent sermon.." I would rather a lady wear pants and a blouse and be modest than to wear a dress that is immodest for the sake of wearing a dress..."

Too many times we focus on the outward appearance of people....not to say we shouldnt be modest...but Jesus told us to be fishers of men....lets let the Holy Spirit clean them up....

Sounds like that Pastor was on the right page. IF you feel the Spirit of God at work there and you are drawn there...then go. Let your relationship with God be the basis for your convictions...

Upvote 0
S

_Sonnie

Too many times we focus on the outward appearance of people
You are so right.

That sentence made me chuckle a bit. One day I was talking with my mom, and we got into a "deep" discussion, and in the middle of a sentence she says, "I need to go put my pants on". I was like, "huh??" :scratch:

Then I noticed she had apparently gotten out of the shower, put a shirt on and wrapped a towel around her waist. If she hadn't said anything, I wouldn't even have noticed. ^_^

Upvote 0

MPaul

Covered by the Blood
Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
✟8,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It's ridiculous to think your actually dressing for the lord.

So... when God told Moses in Exodus 19 to have the people wash their clothes before having a meeting with him on Mt. Sinai, Moses should have responded, that's ridiculous? And when Moses told the people to wash their clothes, they should have responded the same way?

And when the apostle Paul at I Corinthians 11 said a man praying in church cannot do so with his head covered, do you think someone wrote back and said that's ridiculous? Or with Peter at I Peter 3, when he said women should not braid their hair (referring to fancy hair styles) or wear gold or robes, maybe someone wrote to him as well on how ridiculous he was being? But if there were letters written in response like this, they did not make it in the Bible.

Do you think the way Lady Gaga went to the Yankees game in her underwear and a baseball jersey was OK for church? Do you think it is OK for a man to wear a dress and make-up to church?

In my response, I emphasized what really counts is our inward spiritual condition.... but I noted at times our clothes can be a reflection of that.

Upvote 0

Guitarslinger87

Trying Hard
Jul 16, 2010
✟15,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I go to a non-denominational AoG church. We are happy to have anyone come wearing whatever they want. We were first created nude but then shame came with sin and we wanted to cover ourselves up. We have people in sweats, jeans and t-shirts, fine suits and dresses etc. God does not look at the way you look on the outside. He looks at the way you are on the inside.

Just my .2

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Guitarslinger87

Trying Hard
Jul 16, 2010
✟15,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In my response, I emphasized what really counts is our inward spiritual condition.... but I noted at times our clothes can be a reflection of that.

This is VERY true but are jeans and a t-shirt a sign of inward sin?

I have several tattoos. One of them is visible when I wear short sleeves (which I do in the summer). I am in the music ministry and play my guitar on stage for both Sunday services and the Wednesday service (again, thank you Lord for this gift and showing me the way I was created to use it :amen:). As part of the worship team we are the "front lines" of a service. We, through the Spirit, prepare the way for God to do a work in the service. My tattoo is there for all to see if they want to. It changes NOTHING about my faith is not an outward sign of my inward sin.

Upvote 0

MPaul

Covered by the Blood
Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
✟8,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
This is VERY true but are jeans and a t-shirt a sign of inward sin?

A person who wears jeans and a T-shirt should ask themselves, in my opinion, whether it is appropriate in the church before going there. I've seen some young girls whose choice of jeans and a T-shirt can make them look quite hot sensuously -- that's not what I want in church. How about an image of Satan on the T-shirt? Is that OK for you in church? How about dirty and torn blue jeans -- when a person can chose a clean and not torn pair? Should that person just say what the heck, my heart is pure, so I can be dirty otherwise at church?

And what about my earlier question -- OK to have donuts and coffee during the preaching, as long as one is pure on the inside?

As I said, I don't want a fashion show at church, but I'm not in the crowd that anything goes and God can get used to it.

Basically, I think some people are trying to say in the thread, that they do not care what anyone else thinks, but they will do what they want. It's a free country -- it's their choice. However, I won't be going to the church that lets men wear a dress and make-up.

PS -- regarding the tattoo. Do you offer to help other people in the church get tattoos?

Upvote 0

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
However, I won't be going to the church that lets men wear a dress and make-up.

No one here has said that should be acceptable. However, instead of adding man's rules and laws to God's, how about we just go with what God says about our dress (in church or ANYWHERE else) which can really be summed up in two rules:

-be modest
-wear appropriate clothing for your sex (i.e. no women's clothes on men, vice versa)

... and that second rule is really culturally understood and we need to be careful about adding our laws in that respect.

PS -- regarding the tattoo. Do you offer to help other people in the church get tattoos?

What's wrong with tattoos? Obviously, again, you wouldn't want risque or offensive ones. But for instance I have a tattoo that I recently got (Feb of this year) ... it is an expression of my faith. It depicts the crown of thorns with the 3 nails of the cross criss-crossing behind it. I have been able to open up many chances to share my faith by people inquiring about it.

Tattoos are not wrong, sinful, or against anything in the Bible. Again, stop adding man's laws to God's laws.

Upvote 0

Guitarslinger87

Trying Hard
Jul 16, 2010
✟15,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A person who wears jeans and a T-shirt should ask themselves, in my opinion, whether it is appropriate in the church before going there. I've seen some young girls whose choice of jeans and a T-shirt can make them look quite hot sensuously -- that's not what I want in church. How about an image of Satan on the T-shirt? Is that OK for you in church? How about dirty and torn blue jeans -- when a person can chose a clean and not torn pair? Should that person just say what the heck, my heart is pure, so I can be dirty otherwise at church?

And what about my earlier question -- OK to have donuts and coffee during the preaching, as long as one is pure on the inside?

As I said, I don't want a fashion show at church, but I'm not in the crowd that anything goes and God can get used to it.

Basically, I think some people are trying to say in the thread, that they do not care what anyone else thinks, but they will do what they want. It's a free country -- it's their choice. However, I won't be going to the church that lets men wear a dress and make-up.

The above poster mentioned the men wearing dresses aspect so I wont respond other than to say I agree with the above poster.

As for the tattoo, I don't do tattoo work so I can't help anyone get a tattoo. I would, however, refer someone to my wife who is an artist if they want a design for one. Why not? If it depicts your faith or something important to you God can use it to spread His glory.

A friend of ours has piercings, one on top of each wrist. What she gets a lot are people who take her and and turn it over and ask "does that go all the way through?". Her response is, "No. Only 1 has ever done that and lived." She recently got tattoos on the other side (under side) of her wrists that is writing. They each say "God" written in different languages (one in Hebrew and one in Aramaic). It's another way for her to talk to someone about God.

Everyone had their own little preferences when it comes to a congregation. I don't use the word 'body' because that refers to all believers. The bottom line is that this is not a salvation issue. If someone is totally committed to God and Christ and they die they will not end up being forsaken and cast in hell for wearing jeans to church. ;)

Upvote 0

MPaul

Covered by the Blood
Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
✟8,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
No one here has said that should be acceptable.

First, to just quote the one sentence of what I said in making this response, as if it represented the essence of my position or what I said entirely, is merely to distort what I really am saying to make a response. Second, statements in the thread have been very inclusive and did not make any exceptions, such as the one example I quoted.

However, instead of adding man's rules and laws to God's, how about we just go with what God says about our dress (in church or ANYWHERE else) which can really be summed up in two rules:

-be modest
-wear appropriate clothing for your sex (i.e. no women's clothes on men, vice versa)

So I think you are saying, it is your position that anyone who does not interpret the Bible as you do actually is making up their own law. But why does what the Bible says not have anything to do with it -- like clean clothes as quoted, which seems to indicate God believes clothes can reflect a sense of respect for being in his presence, or, as I have quoted, a man not wearing a head covering, but a woman doing so, or a woman not wearing fancy hair does, gold jewelry, and rich robes?? I mean, who is the one making stuff up in this thread? No, I do not believe the blanket statements that have been made in this thread that anything goes are accurate -- and if you want to believe I make up my own law.... fine with me, but I'll go with what I read in Scripture.

What's wrong with tattoos? Obviously, again, you wouldn't want risque or offensive ones. But for instance I have a tattoo that I recently got (Feb of this year) ... it is an expression of my faith. It depicts the crown of thorns with the 3 nails of the cross criss-crossing behind it. I have been able to open up many chances to share my faith by people inquiring about it.

Tattoos are not wrong, sinful, or against anything in the Bible. Again, stop adding man's laws to God's laws.

So, because I asked a question about tattoos, I am adding to God's law? Are you just looking for a way to insult me, because I have taken a position in general you do not like.

Deuteronomy 19:28 -- Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

The word for "marks" can also be translated "tattoos." So why haven't you explained yet, why this verse has no relevance today? So would you say that your tattoo is a Christian design, so you are just decorating the temple of the Holy Spirit? Do you have any Scripture to indicate God wants his temple decorated by man? In primitive times, people decorated their bodies with tattoos in honor of their gods -- are you using this same tradition??

Upvote 0