Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lovejesus, I notice you have the Eastern Orthodox cross, may I ask how long have you been Eastern Orthodox? We have icons of the creation in our faith, and in case you missed it we even have icons of Jesus Christ, and even an icon of the Trinity. So to say the least it is confusing that you asked if this is a sin, since you claim with the cross you chose to be Eastern Orthodox.

I noticed that too, and the fact that they are cross posting the same question in multiple sub forums. ... :confused:

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We have icons of the creation in our faith, and in case you missed it we even have icons of Jesus Christ, and even an icon of the Trinity.

We shouldn't have any icons of The Father, however. When we do it's the result of the influence of Western Religious Art. The Father should never be represented, beyond occasionally as a hand in icons of the historical events where He appeared that way.

Upvote 0

Cush

Orthodox Presbyterian
Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
✟19,019.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Is it a sin to draw god?
I saw the creation adam drawing for michelangelo, god is drawn as an old man
is it okay to draw god or no ?

the drawing of michelangelo is "creation of adam" I can't post it here because I'm a new member, just google it

There's quite a difference between being made in the image of God and creating God in the image of Man!

I see the picture of the creation of Adam, and laughed when I saw it. Adam had a naval in the picture, yet he was created and not birthed.

Anyhoot there's a story that I am reminded of that I thought to share with all:

There is a story about an artist who was painting the Last Supper. It was a great picture and it took him many years. As a model for the face of Christ, he used a young man with a face of transcendent loveliness and purity. Bit by bit the picture was filled in, and one after another the disciples were painted. The day came when he needed a model for Judas, whose face he had left to the last. He went out and searched in the lowest haunts of the city and in the dens of the vice. At last he found a man with a face so depraved and vicious as matched his requirement. When the sittings were at an end, the man said to the artist: ‘You painted me before’ ‘Surely not,’ said the artist. ‘O yes,’ said the man. ‘I sat for your Christ.’

Shout Glory
:clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yeah, we can draw God as He has been revealed in the Scriptures such as Christ in the Incarnation or as the heavenly Son of Man, the Trinity as revealed in the Hospitality of Abraham, the Spirit as a dove or tongues of fire, etc.

but since we are Orthodox, I would leave a Roman Catholic to judge their own artistic tradition.

Reactions: gracefullamb
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The michaelangelo painting is uncanonical. It's simply a secular painting and NOT an icon. Only Christ can be depicted as he was incarnate and became man. In Orthodoxy there are icons of the 7 day creation but only the second person of the trinity is depicted who took on material form and became circumscribeable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The Father should not be depicted (though He sometimes is).

The Father is depicted all the time in Orthodox iconography. See:

rublev-christ-pantocrator-1410s.jpg

Upvote 0