United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LADY GAGA MIMICS MADONNA

Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on Lady Gaga's newly released music video, "Alejandro":

Lady Gaga is playing Madonna copy cat, squirming around half-naked with half-naked guys, abusing Catholic symbols—they're always Catholic symbols—while bleating out "Alejandro" enough times to induce vomit. Dressed occasionally as a nun in a glossy-red habit, the Madonna wannabe flashes the cross, swallows a rosary and manages to get raped by her S&M boyfriends. Hence, she has now become the new poster girl for American decadence and Catholic bashing, sans the looks and talent of her role model.

Like Madonna, Lady Gaga was raised Catholic and then morphed into something unrecognizable. "So I suppose you could say I'm a quite religious woman that is very confused about religion," she told Larry King last week.

That she is confused is an understatement. In any event, we hope she finds her way back home. In the meantime, Catholics will settle for her treating us like Muslims.

http://catholicleague.org/release.php?id=1881

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
LADY GAGA MIMICS MADONNA

Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on Lady Gaga's newly released music video, "Alejandro":

Lady Gaga is playing Madonna copy cat, squirming around half-naked with half-naked guys, abusing Catholic symbols—they're always Catholic symbols—while bleating out "Alejandro" enough times to induce vomit. Dressed occasionally as a nun in a glossy-red habit, the Madonna wannabe flashes the cross, swallows a rosary and manages to get raped by her S&M boyfriends. Hence, she has now become the new poster girl for American decadence and Catholic bashing, sans the looks and talent of her role model.

Like Madonna, Lady Gaga was raised Catholic and then morphed into something unrecognizable. "So I suppose you could say I'm a quite religious woman that is very confused about religion," she told Larry King last week.

That she is confused is an understatement. In any event, we hope she finds her way back home. In the meantime, Catholics will settle for her treating us like Muslims.

Hey Bill:

I never heard of Lady Gaga, but I think I'm going to find her vid on youtube

Thanks for the tip

Upvote 0

kittycat7

Apr 7, 2010
✟15,513.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
LADY GAGA MIMICS MADONNA

No, dude; Gaga's the one with talent, not Madonna. And looks don't really matter.

Upvote 0

balesom

Miserere nobis.
Feb 9, 2009
Central Valley, California
✟15,871.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
*looks at his own rosary dubiously*

Wouldn't eating a rosary cause severe health problems? Like, say, a perforated gastrointestinal tract?

Okay, you try it, and report back to us on the results. Sound good?
I'd try it myself, but I just ate. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay, you try it, and report back to us on the results. Sound good?
I'd try it myself, but I just ate. :D

Nah, doesn't sound appealing. I think mine is pretty, and I don't think a trip through my body is the best way to deal with tarnish.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2010
✟7,691.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I say cut the woman a break for Goodness sake. I like her and I am a very devout Catholic. Lady Gaga is really misunderstood because what she does in her videos have a hidden meaning that you have to look DEEP into. None of them have ever had intentions toward being sacreligious though most people jump the gun and think of them that way simply by what is on the surface. That being said I don't agree with everything she believes but she has a good heart and everybody has their flaws, why don't we worry more about the babies who lose their lives to abortion (which there probably is one in the midst of it this very second), feeding the hungry, and about our own flaws before removing the speck from someone else's eye. Honestly, I see a good heart in her and a lot of the things believed about her are solely based on rumor with people who have way too much time on their hands. Remember God dined with sinners, and those who needed help the most. The sinful woman washed his feet with her hair and he approved when everyone else didn't. She may be a little off the beaten path but that's how most people get to God anyway.

The following has been stated by the director of the video... “The religious symbolism is not meant to denote anything negative, but represents the character’s battle between the dark forces of this world and the spiritual salvation of the Soul,” he said. “Thus at the end of the film, she chooses to be a nun, and the reason her mouth and eyes disappear is because she is withdrawing her senses from the world of evil and going inward towards prayer and contemplation.”

By the way if we are going to complain about how she chooses to represent these symbols I am sure plenty of protestants could get on their high horse about how we have a Saint (Lucy) who is depicted with her eyes on a plate. Talk about freaky right? Not so much if you understand it, therefore we need to look at what Gaga meant to say by using these symbols in the way she did before we go bashing her.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
I heard this song on the radio and I thought it sounded like something from mid-90s Ace of Base :|.

So if Ace of Base + weirdly eroticizing Catholic stuff is considered cutting edge these days, maybe I can combine two already-been-done passe things from the 90s--like say put on neon parachute pants and sing Seattle grunge music--and make millions too. :p

But seriously, we should offer a prayer of reparation whenever we see sacred images used in such a way. It's really not ok.

Upvote 0

SemperFidelis

Mean, angry Traditionalist
Jul 30, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟9,082.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
I've got no time for people like Lady Gaga. For all the talk about deeper meanings, hidden symbolism and the like, she is someone who has made her fame and money, parading around in as little as possible, essentially selling her body.

Even if there is some kind of hidden meaning in her work (and I'm very sceptical of that claim), what do you think her legion of teenage fans see? They see someone dancing provactively in very little clothing, and see her as someone to emulate.

There is nothing special or OK about what she does. Let's stop trying to make excuses.

Blessings,
:crossrc:
Steve

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why did she eat a rosary?
that post made me crack up

as for Catholic symbolism, we have a religion with a lot of symbols that have ment a lot to a lot of people over the years, it only makes sense that such a "visual" religion would be used in arts a lot

look at tv and movies, most of the clergy shown is Catholic, because priests have the little collar and the viewer can tell they are priests as soon as they come on screen, a lot of times, in movies and tv, even the protestant ministers have the little white collar, now granted, some protestant denominations have that too, but i think it is shown more on tv because of how easy it is to recognize

I have not heard the new Lady Gaga song yet, i tend to like her music, not crazy about it, but think it is good

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't know what her intention is and I dont want to judge her.. maybe her intention was not to be blasphemous, and I'm not saying anything against her personally. But what I dont like in the videos is how there's such an emphasis on lust and how there's so much immodesty in her dress.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
New York City, N.Y., Jun 12, 2010 / 12:43 pm (CNA).- Catholic League president Bill Donohue dismissed pop sensation Lady Gaga in her recent controversial music video – which features highly sexualized images coupled with Catholic religious symbols – as a mediocre, “Madonna wannabe.”

The starlet's recent video for her hit song “Alejandro,” features the singer clad at various points in a red, latex nun's habit, swallowing a Rosary, and engaging in simulated erotic encounters with her male back up dancers.

“Lady Gaga is playing Madonna copy cat, squirming around half-naked with half-naked guys, abusing Catholic symbols – they're always Catholic symbols – while bleating out 'Alejandro' enough times to induce vomit,” wrote Donohue in a statement Friday.

The singer “has now become the new poster girl for American decadence and Catholic bashing, sans the looks and talent of her role model,” he added.

Fox News covered the controversial video on Friday as part of a growing trend of anti-Catholicism in Hollywood.

Continued- http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/lady-gaga-dismissed-as-madonna-wannabe-for-catholic-bashing-music-video/

Upvote 0

ddffqq321

Jun 1, 2010
✟15,187.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The video was really about her conflicts between supporting the gay community and searching for moral righteousness. If you are stunned and appalled by her style you won't be able to see this, but thats what it is. She is a Christian (not sure if she's still Catholic) but is very supportive of gays. The first part of the video was centered around DADT, obviously with the male dancers and their odd military outfits and the change in their personality throughout the video.
The part where she was dressed as a nun and "ate" the rosary was not a mockery of Catholicism but more symbolism in my opinion... she recognizes many gays feel alienated and suppressed by religion... (I know this from personal experience)... Gays are told something intrinsic in their being is evil and inclined to sin... With the (rather gross, IMO) sex inuendos and the effeminate dressing of the men in the bed scenes, and then with the dancers dancing around her as the epicenter and holding her up I think she is dissenting and letting gays flock to her for support.
Her spokesperson said when she "eats" the rosary she is "taking in what is good". However, its clear that the part was actually played backwards and she actually took the rosary out of her mouth, so she is again reinforcing the conflicting views between what she stands for and what religion stands for.
She has a really odd style, thats for sure, but I think thats her general message, especially when she said the video was directed at the homosexual community.
I find it quite odd and hypocritical of Donahue though, didnt he call Christine Quinn, openly lesbian, a "good Catholic"?

Upvote 0
M

Memento Mori

I don't know what her intention is and I dont want to judge her.. maybe her intention was not to be blasphemous, and I'm not saying anything against her personally. But what I dont like in the videos is how there's such an emphasis on lust and how there's so much immodesty in her dress.

Intention doesn't change the fact that sacrilege happened though. That video was disgusting. I should have stopped watching. Mother Teresa was right when she told us to avoid curiosity! :doh:

Upvote 0