Donald Trump says he would encourage Russia to attack Nato allies who pay too little

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,157.00
Faith
Christian
Seeking a second presidency as the Republicans’ presumptive 2024 White House nominee, Donald Trump has said he would “encourage” Russia to attack any of the US’s Nato allies whom he considers to have not met their financial obligations.

Trump told European leaders that US ‘will never come to help you’

On Saturday, Trump claimed that during an unspecified Nato meeting he told a fellow head of state that the US under his leadership would not defend any countries who were “delinquent”.

“One of the presidents of a big country stood up and said, ‘Well, sir, if we don’t pay, and we’re attacked by Russia, will you protect us?’” Trump said, adding “I said, ‘You didn’t pay, you’re delinquent?’”

“No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want. You got to pay. You got to pay your bills.”

White House spokesperson Andrew Bates, asked about Trump’s comments, said, “encouraging invasions of our closest allies by murderous regimes is appalling and unhinged – and it endangers American national security, global stability and our economy at home.”

MotoToTheMax

Nov 3, 2022
United States
✟66,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
“No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want. You got to pay. You got to pay your bills.”
It cannot be overstated how bonkers of a sentiment that is regarding an ally nation. If Trump wins the presidency I only have hope (like that does anything) that military higher ups around him stear us towards saner shores.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,256.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It cannot be overstated how bonkers of a sentiment that is regarding an ally nation. If Trump wins the presidency I only have hope (like that does anything) that military higher ups around him stear us towards saner shores.

This is a reason why Trump cannot win. He would break the world and usher in a new era of instability and war.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,096.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
“One of the presidents of a big country stood up and said, ‘Well, sir, if we don’t pay, and we’re attacked by Russia, will you protect us?’” Trump said, adding “I said, ‘You didn’t pay, you’re delinquent?’”

That happened in the fantasy land you'll find between his ears.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Until now, the only country who has triggered article 5 of NATO was the USA, so it's only right that they should leave their allies hanging when it's their turn to support.

• Informative
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
WaPo coverage: Former president Donald Trump ramped up his attacks on NATO on Saturday, claiming he suggested to a foreign leader that he would encourage Russia to do “whatever the [heck] they want” to member countries he views as not spending enough on their own defense.

Trump has previously suggested that he threatened not to protect NATO allies from a Russian attack. During a 2022 event at the Heritage Foundation, the former president recounted a meeting where he told fellow foreign leaders that he may not follow NATO’s Article 5 collective defense clause if other countries did not spend more for their own defense.

In May 2017, Trump initially did not affirm the United States’ commitment to Article 5, but then reversed course two weeks later.

The New York Times reported in 2019 that Trump discussed withdrawing from NATO.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Senate passed a $95 billion national security package to aid Israel, Ukraine and other U.S. allies early Tuesday after a months-long debate that has deeply divided congressional Republicans.
The bill passed 70 to 29, after 22 Republicans joined Democrats in approving the aid.

“History settles every account,” Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said in a statement after the vote. “And today, on the value of American leadership and strength, history will record that the Senate did not blink.”

However, the House leaderhship is prepared to blink...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums