Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our Lord tells us through sacred scripture, as well as through conscience, that we are responsible for the choices we make. Our choices determine who we are, how we shall live, and ultimately whether we end up in heaven or hell!

When God, in the beginning, created man, he made him subject to his own free choice…There are set before you fire and water; to whichever you choose, stretch forth your hand (Sirach 15:14-16).
“Fire” and “water,” or “death” and “life” are set before us every day, even every minute of every day, and whichever we choose shall be granted to us.

Throughout the day we face many decisions, some lesser, some greater. Some seem more important than others, but all are important. As St. Ignatius of Loyola tells us in his spiritual exercises we must learn to choose what brings us closer to God and to let go of that which does not:

Be aware of what is stirring in you-in your thoughts and in your heart. Understand what in these stirrings comes from God and what does not. Take action to accept and live by what is of God and to reject what is not (1).
Even small decisions matter. If we turn our backs to God, even slightly, surely it would be to Satan’s delight, and he will do whatever he can to keep us going in that direction, away from God. Our choices are important. They determine who we are. They determine who we will become. And ultimately they determine our place in Eternity. I realize that some naysayers will declare that by grace alone, we are saved, it is only through our Lord and our God, Jesus Christ, that we can obtain eternal life, and that we can’t just “decide” on heaven or hell.

To all of these arguments, I am in full agreement! I don’t see a contradiction. I believe that one “school of thought” complements the other. First and foremost, there must be God’s invitation. His grace extended to us. But isn’t He doing this all the time for every person in one way or another? The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches us that

Continued below.