Feb 5, 2011
Upland, Ca
Visit site
✟7,813.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Below are three posts on what at-risk kids need for a lasting transformation. Research has shown that most after-school programs are failing. Faith based are the least successful due to a lack of understanding of child development. I KNOW WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

The story of Tommy who grew up in the worst of circumstances is just one example of way too many faith based ministries to at risk children. It is also the story of why and how KidTrek came to the realization of what it would truly take to make a lasting difference in the lives of at-risk kids.
After School Programs: What Do At-Risk Kids Need? | KidTrek – After School Programs

After the realization that it would take more than just a drop-in center, more than just a Bible club one day a week, more than just tutoring to make a lasting difference in kids’ lives we designed an intentional training. The training is geared to equip Christian adults to provide at-risk kids the nurturing God intended for them to receive.
After School Programs: Church Based – At-Risk Kids Need Secondary Nurturers | KidTrek – After School Programs

What at-risk kids receive is – Secondary Nurturers who are Christ-centered adults willing to walk through life them.
After School Programs: Church Based – What At-Risk Kids Receive From Secondary Nurturers | KidTrek – After School Programs

Wanda Lee

Feb 5, 2011
Upland, Ca
Visit site
✟7,813.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
McScribe - I've been training churches and ministries for almost 20 years to serve "at-risk" children and their families. Read through my Blog KidTrek – After School Programs | Walking with kids through life…

If I can be of any help don't hesitate to write me.

What part of Canada do you live in? My daughter and her family live in Ontario in Burks Falls - way too far away from us :).

God bless

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry, but I hate that term. 'At-risk'. At risk for being judged, labeled, singled out, and treated like they're 2. If you want to reach these kids it's going to take a lot more than some knowledge about child development.

Upvote 0

Wanda Lee

Feb 5, 2011
Upland, Ca
Visit site
✟7,813.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's fine hate the term. The sad part is it is a reality and we must be intentional and individualistic in making a difference in their lives. Not using the term does not alter their plight in life.

We live in a world today that hates using negative terms - however, read through the Bible (New Testament - the Epistles) and see how many of the commands begin with the words Do Not.

You obviously didn't read through the three links in my opening statement above that lay out what it truly takes to make a difference in their lives. Child development is one very important part - but yes there is so much more. Though if you truly know child development it will help you to know what is needed.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That's fine hate the term. The sad part is it is a reality and we must be intentional and individualistic in making a difference in their lives. Not using the term does not alter their plight in life.
Bullcrap. Self fulfilling prophecy says otherwise. You label them, they'll live up to that label. You treat them differently, they'll act differently. You want to talk child development, you cannot ignore it and say the term used doesn't make a difference.

We live in a world today that hates using negative terms - however, read through the Bible (New Testament - the Epistles) and see how many of the commands begin with the words Do Not.
And look at the amount of people that do anyway because they view the Bible as a set of rules. If that's their view, what reason do they have to come to faith? Especially the more unique children in the world. Why the heck would they listen to someone that tells them how they should do things?
You obviously didn't read through the three links in my opening statement above that lay out what it truly takes to make a difference in their lives.
That's because I don't need to. I've worked with them myself. I know what works and what doesn't. Separating them into a special program isn't going to work. That singles them out and labels them. So does individual attention. You expect the same thing from them that you do anyone else, you treat them the same as everyone else, and you love them just as much as anyone else. They notice that, and they respond to it. Treat their quirks as normal and don't react when they try to aggravate. Nothing is accomplished by creating special programs.

Child development is one very important part - but yes there is so much more. Though if you truly know child development it will help you to know what is needed.
Knowing how they tick helps. Knowing the tricks they pull and why they pull those tricks is even more important. Developmental psych can't teach you those, those can only be learned one of two ways: By having BEEN a more unique individual, or by spending enough time with such people. I know because I've been there. I hate the term because it's demeaning and degrading. It's like using the word retard for mentally handicapped people, or 'special ed' for someone with ADHD, Autism, or Asperger's. It induces shame.

Upvote 0

EmilyF

Vroom...
May 8, 2008
Columbus, OH
✟8,287.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I used to work with "at-risk" kids and I can promise you that every one of them over the age of 6 or 7 would have gotten up and walked out if they heard us calling them "at-risk". You wouldn't (I hope) use the words, colored, Oriental or retard. This is just as demeaning. I usually see it in conjunction with a church group saying, "Look! Look how great we are! We're saving them!"

It's frankly sad to me that churches have been so slow to try to reach this population. Now, in our old church this group is still has their own separate bible study, but most of the kids go to more than one. They all said that they felt more comfortable keeping things the way they were. It was amazing to watch them slowly open up to "those kids" and for both groups of kids to realize that they were all just kids.

If we hope to reach anyone, we must treat them with dignity. This term fails to do that. What exactly are they "at-risk" for? If you'd ask them they look at you like you'd sprouted wings.

You

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2009
Canada
✟16,558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well, on the other hand no one tried to reach me. Not really. I was lucky or blessed, not sure which. In a way in a fallen world we are all at risk, but some more than others. All this means is that there are some kids (regardless of economic or racial bracket) who are growing up in homes or lack of homes where they are much more at risk than others. Jesus was not ashamed to call some people poor and others adulterers or thieves. Not the point.

What I think she is asking is are we actually stepping out or just huddling in a pleasant church community? I find that by stepping out we can learn to treat one another with grace and greater understanding and become less judgmental.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums