Does this play a real role in your life?

Lee M

Nov 22, 2012
✟1,868.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Do these things actually change how you live?

1. Humans beings being corrupt, sinful, requiring redemption and forgiveness

2. Humans being blinded or naive to truth, needing God to show them what is true and good, being unable to know these things without him

3. A place like hell existing in either symbolic or literal form where people will go

4. The rapture and the judgment will one day take place

5. One day the world as we know it will cease to exist and the New Jerusalem will become our world.

6. There are in people in your life who one day you may never ever see or hear from again because they will be destroyed by God, this will actually happen one day.

If you believe these things do these things actually effect the way you live on a daily basis? Can you give me some examples of how these ideas shape your daily life?

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Lee M. When I was a growing child/teenager, I liked people. Then I grew up and learned that not everybody is what they seem. When I was married and too busy to miss friends and acquaintances, I did not think much. But once my children started to live their own lives, I began to realise that there is more to Life.
To make my story short, I was lucky to meey some Salvationists and was happy with my surroundings. Now I am retired from the Army, God led me to this Christian Forum, and I am quite contented to answer questions to seeking and disappointed Christians. I have found that Life is not perfect, but with God`s help and teachings, we can overcome many obstacles.
In Matthews 22, verses 35-40, Jesus gives very valid advice.
1) Love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds.
2) Love our neighbour as we love ourselves. We are all made in God`s image,
and Love is our strong sword: selfless and no conditions tagged on. Jesus will give us his Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will empower us with His Love, also. Jesus told us to " Ask God and ye will receove," then we thank God, and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour: all around us. " Matthew 7: 7-8."
We keep asking God in Prayer, thanking God gratefully, and keep sharing all with our neighbour: All we say or do, all we stand for and advice, Must be from Love and Compassion. Jesus our Saviour will help and guide us all the way:
JESUS IS THE WAY. Jesus promised us " Life abundant," and Jesus is no Liar.
I say this with love, Lee. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Yes. I recognize that I am a sinner, I often act in selfish and hurtful ways, inflicting pain on my friends and family. My desire and hope in Christ is that one day, I will be freed from my own inward-turned disposition, and that there will be life together saturated in pure, selfless love.

2. Humans being blinded or naive to truth, needing God to show them what is true and good, being unable to know these things without him
Yes. Without the Gospel, I would have never known the God who has revealed Himself in and through Jesus Christ, or His Church into which I have been born again.

3. A place like hell existing in either symbolic or literal form where people will go
I acknowledge that the fruit of sin is sin. If I live my life dedicated to myself, rejecting others, then the fruit of that is the inward, and downward spiral into myself. Drowning deep into the innermost recesses of my own ego--Hell.

The "rapture" isn't traditional Christian teaching. Since it's a 19th century innovation, it has no part in my faith. I do, however believe in and hope in the resurrection of the body, it is the chief hope of the Christian: that death is not the end, but being defeated by Jesus, we too will be raised from the dead. The Judgment, also, yes; I will one day have to stand before my Lord Jesus Christ and give an account for the way I conducted myself, the way I treated my neighbor, how I treated the poor, the needy, the hungry, the thirsty, the naked, the immigrant, and the sick.

5. One day the world as we know it will cease to exist and the New Jerusalem will become our world.
Yes, all of creation will be renewed, restored, and set right. This world, indeed the entire cosmos, will be redeemed in the renewing light of God through Christ when He comes.

6. There are in people in your life who one day you may never ever see or hear from again because they will be destroyed by God, this will actually happen one day.
I have no idea. But I pray that not be so. It is my sincere hope and prayer that all will be restored to God, that all will be set right and made free and enjoy God forever.

If you believe these things do these things actually effect the way you live on a daily basis? Can you give me some examples of how these ideas shape your daily life?
It is my goal to be loving to others, to be a reflection of Christ to those around me. To faithfully serve Christ's kingdom, and by God's grace live in such a way that I anticipate in this life, the world that is to come. I reject violence because one day we shall beat our swords into plowshares; I seek reconciliation because that is God's Gospel work, to forgive, to bless, to help, to serve, to love. I aim and strive for Christ, knowing I fail daily, hoping and trusting in God's kindness and mercy, and praying that those around me find in me an instrument of God's love and God's peace.

My desire is to make the Prayer of St. Francis my own prayer.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
=
Lee M;62174686]Do these things actually change how you live?

I believe humans have the capability of being loving or unloving and all of us fall short of being loving all the time. I do not believe being born depraved and guilty of eternal torture.
I think God has created all humans, who are not mentally defective with the ability to know what is loving and what is not loving--i.e. good or bad.
3. A place like hell existing in either symbolic or literal form where people will go. I believe the only people who live after physical life is over is the ones who have loved others.
I don't believe this.
I believe this world will end and cease to exist and the New Jerusalem is the same as eternal life.
I believe there are people who may never receive eternal life and since everyone dies, I will never see or hear from them again, if I receive eternal life.

I believe the best way we can live and enjoy this life is to love others. So the only way my above beliefs effect the way I live is to encourage me to live as I should because of the possibility of life after death.

Upvote 0

FatalHeart

Wisdom's Associate
Jan 23, 2013
The pulsating core of the interwebs
✟20,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately because of all those things being true I have been compelled to live a selfless life. I say unfortunately because I have had to sacrifice much to pursue people and teach them in these matters. It has meant very little rest to me in this regard, as I am always more pleased when someone else is happy, because I know it matters. However, I am a very tired person and feeling stretched thin as of late. There is a long way to go and I will continue to love people and make sure bad things don't happen to them and that they change and become the best people they could be. If we didn't have the spiritual problems we did, I would be a more happy and well rested person, but, you cannot make someone love you, and, unfortunately that means sometimes the good people suffer. Sometimes the right relationship doesn't work out. Sometimes the good girl is mistreated. Sometimes you have to say goodbye. There are not always happy endings, but that is the price of allowing someone to be free. I would not want to make someone love me, that is selfish. Unfortunately that means watching them destroy themselves sometimes, and it is sad. What can you do? You take the hits you can to save the people you can and at the end of the day you be content because you loved with what you had and you did your best. Tears will be shed because some things are sad, and I did not deserve much of the hate that I received, but, I will never regret living the life I did for the good of other people. If I matter, so do they and so does the truth. Is it my fault no one considered me? At least I did what I was supposed to. "What kind of man is a man that does not make the world better?"

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens

It means that I know I and others will continue to make mistakes.

I know that however convinced I am that x is true, there must be provisionality about it. "30% of what I know is wrong, I just don't know which 30%"

God will put the world to rights and deal with injustice, and invites us to live in anticipation of that and build for that here and now.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Some of you responded with ideas and elaborations on your beliefs when what i asked was what these ideas cause you to do. How it changes your daily routines etc.

If I know I make mistakes then I'm more open to having those pointed out and correcting them. If I know other's will inevitably make mistakes then I'm more tolerant of those without ignoring the consequences they have. If I know what the Kingdom of God looks like, and that I'm invited to participate in that, then I will attempt to do that - to "feed the hungry, visit the prisoner, welcome the stranger, shelter the homeless,..."

if you want specific details from my life I'm not at liberty to share those

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lee M

Nov 22, 2012
✟1,868.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I dont want you to get personal. Stuff like " i pray these words... i do this wifh my friends... i attend these meetings... im an advocate of... i make my kids do or learn this..." stuff like that. Im curious to see if these ideas are anything more than ideas that might not have anything to do with our real lives.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I dont want you to get personal. Stuff like " i pray these words... i do this wifh my friends... i attend these meetings... im an advocate of... i make my kids do or learn this..." stuff like that. Im curious to see if these ideas are anything more than ideas that might not have anything to do with our real lives.

I pray the daily office irregularly.
I work as an educator
I work (and considerable non-financial cost) assisting some of the world's most vulnerable people

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums