Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone, I am a new to the forum and somewhat new to Christianity. If you are trying your best to be a devoted Christian, but still sin and ask for forgiveness. Will Jesus still punish us for the sins we committed?

Punish? No. We certainly face consequences to our actions. And we read in Scripture that our Lord chastises those whom He loves. But like any good parent the goal of correction is that we might grow, flourish, live, and become healthy adults.

We do not have an angry Lord above in heavens with a scornful scowl glaring at us with a whip at the ready to smite us when we mess up. We have a compassionate and loving Father, who sent His only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, to suffer, bleed, and die for us that we might live. And this same Jesus, seated at the right hand of His Father, is the Good Shepherd over His flock. And the Holy Spirit is working on us, day and night, to sanctify us, to shape us into the image of Christ. And like any child growing up, there are growing pains in this life.

When we are in a time of suffering or trial in this life, we should not think "God is punishing me", instead we should pray,

"Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, forgive us our sins even as we forgive those who have sinned against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen."

For we may be in a time of trial that we might grow. So even as we read "every good and perfect gift is from above, from the Father of lights" even these difficult times may be hidden gifts. For the promise of God is, He "works all things to good for those who love Him". The beautiful, the ugly; the painful and the wonderful, the day and the night and all in-between. We don't know how everything will be in the end, once the dust settles and God has made all things new--but we know that it will be good, it will be beautiful, it will be just--He is the Faithful Keeper of His promises. The God of Covenants, the God of Promises, the God of Hope.

God loves us. And there's nothing we can do to make Him change His mind. For in Him "there is no change, no shadow of turning". Jesus Christ is "the same yesterday, today, and forever". So when God declares His love for you in Christ, who came and bore Calvary's Cross for you, that word is unchangeable, immutable, it is true forever.

Whether in prosperity or famine, whether in joy or sorrow, whether in living or in dying, we have a Savior who cares, a God who loves us, and a goodness which can never disappear. Therefore, trust in Jesus.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone, I am a new to the forum and somewhat new to Christianity. If you are trying your best to be a devoted Christian, but still sin and ask for forgiveness. Will Jesus still punish us for the sins we committed?
Sin is its own punishment.

Reactions: The Liturgist

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Punish? No. We certainly face consequences to our actions. And we read in Scripture that our Lord chastises those whom He loves. But like any good parent the goal of correction is that we might grow, flourish, live, and become healthy adults.

We do not have an angry Lord above in heavens with a scornful scowl glaring at us with a whip at the ready to smite us when we mess up. We have a compassionate and loving Father, who sent His only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, to suffer, bleed, and die for us that we might live. And this same Jesus, seated at the right hand of His Father, is the Good Shepherd over His flock. And the Holy Spirit is working on us, day and night, to sanctify us, to shape us into the image of Christ. And like any child growing up, there are growing pains in this life.

When we are in a time of suffering or trial in this life, we should not think "God is punishing me", instead we should pray,

"Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, forgive us our sins even as we forgive those who have sinned against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen."

For we may be in a time of trial that we might grow. So even as we read "every good and perfect gift is from above, from the Father of lights" even these difficult times may be hidden gifts. For the promise of God is, He "works all things to good for those who love Him". The beautiful, the ugly; the painful and the wonderful, the day and the night and all in-between. We don't know how everything will be in the end, once the dust settles and God has made all things new--but we know that it will be good, it will be beautiful, it will be just--He is the Faithful Keeper of His promises. The God of Covenants, the God of Promises, the God of Hope.

God loves us. And there's nothing we can do to make Him change His mind. For in Him "there is no change, no shadow of turning". Jesus Christ is "the same yesterday, today, and forever". So when God declares His love for you in Christ, who came and bore Calvary's Cross for you, that word is unchangeable, immutable, it is true forever.

Whether in prosperity or famine, whether in joy or sorrow, whether in living or in dying, we have a Savior who cares, a God who loves us, and a goodness which can never disappear. Therefore, trust in Jesus.

-CryptoLutheran

Sin is its own punishment.

This is surely correct. God is infinitely merciful.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When we sin there is a natural consequence of sin. Jesus don't punish ... he chastises (discipline) those that He loves.

Hebrews 12:11

For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives” (Heb. 12:5-6).

When we sin .... the Holy Spirit brings us to the Lord to ask for forgiveness and for us to repent.

The point of forgiveness is to remove guilt. The Lord is quick to forgive. When He forgives it is not brought back to His mind ... nor should we.

Isaiah 43:25​

“I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins.

The Lord does not want us to carry around guilt.

When you ask for forgiveness .... accept it and begin again a new. Trust in His forgiveness and move on ... don't carry it around.

We will all stumble into sin here and there .... thanks to Jesus He is always there to forgive us and begin again.

May the Lord bring peace to your mind about it. Amen.

Upvote 0