Does God need to be number 1 to be saved?

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
From my sisters' pastor:
If I have faith in God but God is not number one in my life will I go to heaven? If I have faith but God's not number one but I actually really believe will I still go to heaven? The answer is you will not - only those who have God as number one in their life go to heaven. If God is number two in your life you will not go to heaven though you believe. If he's number three or four you will not go to heaven though you believe.
What do Christians think?

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-

Did not watch the video, because The Bible plainly states that to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life (salvation) and become a permanent born again child of God.

The only condition that is required by God is to believe in Jesus, that is to believe Jesus is who He says He is. The resurrection and the life, *the promised Messiah from the prophecies of The Tanakh/The only begotten Son of God.

*Messiah and Son of God are the saying the same title about Jesus, they are not two seperate titles a person has to believe.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From my sisters' pastor:

What do Christians think?

Assuming that the quote (or even the whole of the video) you've provided from your sister's pastor is representative of his overall message, I'd say his way of stating the problem is a bit on the superficial side of things and fails to offer a clear and distinct explanation as to "how" God needs to be a priority in our lives in relation to our salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Assuming that the quote (or even the whole of the video) you've provided from your sister's pastor is representative of his overall message, I'd say his way of stating the problem is a bit on the superficial side of things and fails to offer a clear and distinct explanation as to "how" God needs to be a priority in our lives in relation to our salvation.
Yeah his answers are quite brief (his whole YouTube channel is short answers to questions). I guess someone putting God first would do things like read the Bible, go to church, tithe, tell lots of people about Jesus, pray and only give other things a priority if they think God wants them to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah his answers are quite brief (his whole YouTube channel is short answers to questions). I guess someone putting God first would do things like read the Bible, go to church, tithe, tell lots of people about Jesus, pray and only give other things a priority if they think God wants them to do it.

Those things in and of themselves aren't bad, obviously, but I think the greater part of the Christian faith ultimately boils down to showing one's love for the Lord by 1) doing one's best to love other people (even our enemies, if possible), and 2) resisting becoming entangled in the corruption of the world.

I'm guessing your sister's pastor was attempting, in his own "1920's" preaching style, to insist on the second point above in some way. It's just that the sermon he gives in the OP video seems to me to be along the lines of being offered a bowl of oatmeal at breakfast rather than given the wider compliment of coffee, eggs, bacon, fruit, juice and a pastry.

However, I'm sure that in his own way he means well, and it's not as if he's exactly wrong about all that he said in the video.

Anyway, thanks for asking, John!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That's satan, God doesn't want or desire to be number 1.
Though the OT says to love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. This is also repeated in Matthew 22:37, Mark 12:30, and Luke 10:27.

Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Though the OT says to love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. This is also repeated in Matthew 22:37, Mark 12:30, and Luke 10:27.
Indeed though God doesn't want to be something He knows He already is, the creator of everything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If a person is truly regenerated than there would be a natural desire to follow God and to do HIS will and NOT our own. God being #1 would be completely natural to such a person. It's not necessarily a "requirement" of salvation more than its a natural desire in the regenerated heart which IS required for salvation no Holy Spirit = no salvation. Placing idols as first priority in your life is evidence of living in the flesh as Paul describes in Romans 8. The natural desire to please and live for God that flows through a natural born again Christian is living in the spirit and this produces, life.

Upvote 0