Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
:scratch: I'm not going to lower or redefine God's parameters for Him.

He'll have to do that Himself.

This is kind of what I'm talking about. Why would you presume that it is "lowering" God's parameters to contend that He doesn't "love" everyone? I'm not calling into question God's ability or His authority to extend His love to whomsoever He chooses. I'm simply saying that words have meanings and in the scope of salvation and the role of God, "love" is a biggie. Many of you seem to assume that it makes the least bit of sense to purport that God "loves" those who end up in hell. I would rather acknowledge that the love of the Almighty is purposed for, and cannot but achieve the salvation of those to whom He extends it and, therefore, it is impossible and illogical to contend that God loves those who end up in hell.

Me, I'm annoyed with people who transform the lovingkindness of God into some kind of "that's not good enough", too, but that's what sin does.

I don't understand what you mean here. Can you reword or explain?

Once we try to make Calvinism speak in terms Arminians are defining, I find we've lost major sections of Calvinistic theology. The rationalizations of one generation are institutions in the next. You can attempt a temporary comparison of what the terms mean in A. & C., sure. But I've found Calvin eminently capable of speaking in terms Scripture is defining. That's overwhelming to Arminian positions.

If it makes Calvinism complicated or subtle, so be it. I think it makes Calvinism better.

Um...great? Who cares about Calvinism? I don't have a problem with complicated doctrine. I don't have a problem with not understanding something. What I have a problem with is when people make nonsense out of words. We are logical creatures, fashioned after a logical Creator. We convey true meaning with words. When those words can mean anything, or nothing at all, well, we might as well call ourselves Arminians.

God bless

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Election is not into salvation in that verse. The election the verse talking about is about service.
Esau is the first born but God elected Jacob to receive his fathers blessing. This has nothing to do with electing Jacob into salvation and condemning Esau to hell.
Would you agree
No I wouldn't. If that is what you want to believe go ahead. It is your soul not mine.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
heymikey80 I'm not going to lower or redefine God's parameters for Him.

He'll have to do that Himself.

I think perhaps He dis/does...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlqurgw
I am not sure what you are getting at here but it is clear that God has an intention for all, Prov. 16:4,Rev. 4:11. It seems to me that you trying to prove that God loves everyone by assuming God loves everyone.

No; I honestly think Christ's words say so with such force in Mt 5:44-48 that I don't have much else to prove.

Taking a look:
44: But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45: That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46: For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47: And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
48: Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
He loved His enemies, but not all of them?
Consider it.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is kind of what I'm talking about. Why would you presume that it is "lowering" God's parameters to contend that He doesn't "love" everyone?
Because He says He loves (agapao) His enemies, and most arguments if not all on this thread are asserting the exact opposite.
I'm not calling into question God's ability or His authority to extend His love to whomsoever He chooses. I'm simply saying that words have meanings and in the scope of salvation and the role of God, "love" is a biggie.
But I'd suggest that God's love extends beyond His salvation. That seems to be exactly what God says.
Many of you seem to assume that it makes the least bit of sense to purport that God "loves" those who end up in hell.
Do you find it unusual that people love those who have been sentenced to life imprisonment or death by the government, who acknowledge the perpetrator has done immense crimes?
I would rather acknowledge that the love of the Almighty is purposed for, and cannot but achieve the salvation of those to whom He extends it and, therefore, it is impossible and illogical to contend that God loves those who end up in hell.
Well that's fine, but don't call it Scripture. Call it your personal theology.
I don't understand what you mean here. Can you reword or explain?
I find people saying God's love has to be universal in all respects or it's not right. We see "knowing" love required by God exclusively for particular individuals.

It's no surprise to me that this generation has little to no understanding of what love is. But the only way to get a Scriptural understanding of what love is, is to trace its use in Scripture.
Um...great? Who cares about Calvinism? I don't have a problem with complicated doctrine. I don't have a problem with not understanding something. What I have a problem with is when people make nonsense out of words. We are logical creatures, fashioned after a logical Creator. We convey true meaning with words. When those words can mean anything, or nothing at all, well, we might as well call ourselves Arminians.
When those words express a specific thing about a class of people I take notice. They mean something. Words may not mean what I want them to mean to combat another theology. They still maintain something.

In this case I think it's clear from the statement that God has a love that isn't focused solely on the elect, and yet it is not intent on saving them.

Not particularly a fan of John Gill but here he is on Matt 5:45
That ye may be the children of your father…
... Christ's meaning is, that they might appear, and be known to be the children of God, by doing those things in which they resemble their heavenly Father; and which are agreeable to his nature and conduct; as the tree is known by its fruit, and the cause by its effect: for where adoption and regenerating grace take place, the fruit of good works is brought forth to the glory of God. Some copies, instead of (uioi) , "children", read (omoioi) "like": and accordingly, the Persic version renders it thus, "that ye may be like your Father, which is heaven". Our Lord seems to have respect to the Jews, often having in their mouths this expression, (Mymvb wnyba) , "our Father which is in heaven"; and to their frequent boasting that they were the children of God; and therefore he would have them make this manifest by their being like him, or acting in imitation of him;
for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil, and on the good.

Christ instances in one of the greatest blessings in nature, the sun, so useful to the earth, and so beneficial to mankind for light and heat; which he calls "his sun": his own, and not another's; which he has made, and maintains, orders to run its race, and commands it to rise morning by morning, and that upon good and bad men; one, as well as another; all equally share in, and partake of its benign influences, and enjoy the comfortable effects and blessings of it:
and sendeth rain on the just and unjust;
that is, on the fields of persons of such different characters, even both the early and the latter rain; which makes the earth fruitful, crowns it with goodness, and causes it to bring forth bread to the eater, and seed to the sower. This is one of the most considerable blessings of life; the gift of it is God's sole prerogative; it is peculiar to him; it is what none of the vanities of the Gentiles can give; and yet is bestowed by him on the most worthless and undeserving. This flows from that perfection of God, which the Cabbalists call ''"chesed, mercy", or benignity, to which it is essential to give largely to all, both "to the just and unjust".''
What Gill calls benign benificence and blessings, God calls love.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
the discrimination that Jesus defuses and rejects is NOT between God loving some enemies and not others (hyper calvinist view) but in God not simply loving the rightous , but the wicked too!

God showing forth an example that we must follow if we are to be sons of God is that we too , like our Father , will love the rightous and the wicked . Not merely love some of the wicked.

For He makes his sun to shine on the rightous and the wicked , not on some of the wicked.

Not all love is salvivic.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

UMP

Aug 16, 2004
✟5,772.00
Faith
Christian
If God loves everyone then His love is meaningless and a point of frustration for Him. He is longsuffering and patient with the reprobate for the sake of His elect. They serve His purpose to do good for the elect and He uses them for their sake alone. Isa. 43:3-4, Psa.76:10,Prov. 16:4, 2Cor. 4:15

Well,
I for one agree with you, and so does Brother Pink:

God is sovereign in the exercise of His love. Ah! that is a hard saying, who then can receive it? It is written, "A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven" (John 3:27).When we say that God is sovereign in the exercise of His love, we mean that He loves whom He chooses. God does not love everybody; if He did, He would love the Devil. Why does not God love the Devil? Because there is nothing in him to love; because there is nothing in him to attract the heart of God. Nor is there anything to attract God’s love in any of the fallen sons of Adam, for all of them are, by nature, "children of wrath"(Eph. 2:3).If then there is nothing in any member of the human race to attract God’s love, and if, notwithstanding, He does love some, then it necessarily follows that the cause of His love must be found in Himself, which is only another way of saying that the exercise of God’s love towards the fallen sons of men is according to His own good pleasure.[3]
In the final analysis, the exercise of God’s love must be traced back to His sovereignty, or, otherwise, He would love by rule; and if He loved by rule, then is He under a law of love, and if He is under a law of love then is He not supreme, but is Himself ruled by law. "But," it may be asked, "Surely you do not deny that God loves the entire human family?" We reply, it is written, "Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated" (Rom. 9:13). If then God loved Jacob and hated Esau, and that before they were born or had done either good or evil, then the reason for His love was not in them, but in Himself.
That the exercise of God’s love is according to His own sovereign pleasure is also clear from the language of Ephesians 1:3-5, where we read, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him. In love having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself according to the good pleasure of His will."It was "in love"that God the Father predestined His chosen ones unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, "according"—according to what? According to some excellency He discovered in them? No. What then? According to what He foresaw they would become? No; mark carefully the inspired answer—"According to the good pleasure of His will."

[3] We are not unmindful of the fact that men have invented the distinction between God’s love of complacency and His love of compassion, but this is an invention pure and simple. Scripture terms the latter God’s “pity” (see Matt. 18:33), and “He is kind unto the unthankful and the evil” (Luke 6:35).

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because He says He loves (agapao) His enemies, and most arguments if not all on this thread are asserting the exact opposite.

I won't be carrying on with this conversation much longer because I can see that certain people presume that those who hold views contrary to their own are simply out to slander God.

The thing that I take issue with is that the you are contending that the same term, you refer to it as "agapao," is used to describe God's intentions toward the elect and the reprobate. I think it is inappropriate. Call it my personal theology. Dismiss it due to the generation from which I spring. I could care less. I call nonsensical to claim that God loves those whom He does not rescue from their sins, despite His authority and ability to do so. Again I ask, what love is this?

But I'd suggest that God's love extends beyond His salvation. That seems to be exactly what God says.

And I suggest that His benevolence, which I agree is not exclusively extended to the elect, isn't "love."

Do you find it unusual that people love those who have been sentenced to life imprisonment or death by the government, who acknowledge the perpetrator has done immense crimes?

I fail to see what explanatory bearing the actions of fallen man have on the actions of an omnipotent God.

Well that's fine, but don't call it Scripture. Call it your personal theology.

I've rarely seen such pomp and arrogance, even amongst the anthropocentric crowd on this MB. By all means your highness, I'll simply refer to your "personal theology" as Scripture from here on out. God knows only you could be correct in your understanding. There's no possibility that you could be wrong.

I find people saying God's love has to be universal in all respects or it's not right. We see "knowing" love required by God exclusively for particular individuals.

Great. So this simply boils down to the confusing fact that you employ the same word, "love," to describe God's particular intentions toward those He saves and His benevolence towards the objects of His wrath. That helps.

It's no surprise to me that this generation has little to no understanding of what love is. But the only way to get a Scriptural understanding of what love is, is to trace its use in Scripture.

Okay. Well, I may fall into the catagory to which you so disdainfully refer to as "this generation" so I'll do my best. Scripture says this about love:

1 Cor 13:4-8
Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.

Would you say that is indicative of the love God has for those He never intends to save? The Greek word translated here as "love" is "agape." Is this the love of God?

What Gill calls benign benificence and blessings, God calls love.
So, being that love never fails, your suggestion is that God's love continues for those who reside in hell, is that it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Why love a person that hates people before they have done anything bad?
Why love a person who causes infants to be molested and causes many other crimes?
That is sick.

the sickness is man's , God just permits men to sin , permission is an act of the will , yes you do have the SAME "problem of evil" everyone has!

Reactions: edie19
Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What Wondrous Love!

A bride wakes up the day after her wedding, and excitedly remembers that today is her first day as a wife! She peers across the bed at her beloved husband, still sleeping peacefully. After a few moments he slowly opens his eyes and gazes back at her.

"Did you know I love you?," he says softly.

She smiles at him. "You do?" she replies in mock skepticism.

"Yes, I love you," her husband says firmly, "just like I love everybody else."

Ouch! Ooo! Not good!

Bad news. Bad. Bad. Bad. Boy, is he in trouble now!

As foolish as such a comment may sound, it is no more foolish than a notion held by many people today. What notion you ask? Have you ever heard someone say one of the following:

"God loves everybody!"

"We're all God's children!"

Now the Bible does indicate that God attributes a general value to mankind. He created mankind. He makes the rain to fall on the just and the unjust. His Law applies to all people at all times. He has given each person a conscience. He has made man of one blood. He is no respecter of the person of the wealthy. He has bestowed general grace upon all men.

But is this general value the same as the love that God has for His Bride the Church? (See Ephesians 5:23–32.) Does the Good Shepherd love the goats and wolves as He does the sheep? Does the Farmer love the tares as He does the wheat? Does the Heavenly Father love bastards as He does His children?
"For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons." ~ Hebrews 12:6–8
From this passage we see that God reserves His love for His children, and one way He demonstrates His love is by disciplining His children. A bastard, on the other hand, who is not loved by God, does not receive discipline because he is not God's child.

In the Garden of Gethsemene, Jesus Christ the Glorious Groom directly refused to pray for everyone. He excluded His prayers for His Bride:

"I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. . . . Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word" John 17:9, 20.
So it must be. If God loved everyone, then in effect, God's love would be meaningless.

If everything was beautiful, then beauty would be meaningless. A garbage dump would be just as pretty as a rose garden. If everyone was rich, then wealth would be meaningless. The poor man would have as much as the rich man. If everyone was physically strong, then strength would be meaningless. The gentle lady would be just as mighty as the he-man.

It is no coincidence that this egalitarian notion that God loves everybody bears so much resemblance to the thinking of post modernism, Communism, and feminism. They are the natural product of a society where the Church teaches that God loves everybody.

If God loves everyone, then God's love is meaningless. Love by its very definition is special affection. Thus, saying God loves everybody is a self-contradictory statement. In effect, it is saying, "God has special affection toward no one."

Put another way, as a villian in a recent Pixar film said, ". . . and when everyone's super, no one will be."

In contrast to this notion of God's love, is the reality of God's personal love for His children. The Lord of Heaven hand-picked each of His children before the dawn of time. (See John 6:37; Act 13:28.) If you are a true Christian today, then you are one of those who God personally knew even before you were born and ordained to be His child. You were not just one of the great collective. You, [fill in your name here], were chosen in the good pleasure and love of God.

"[H]e hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will." ~ Ephesians 1:4–5
Isn't that an awesome thought? What wondrous love is this! How wondrous that God loves me! Me! Not just me as one in the world, but me personally. How much sweeter is the thought of this love.

Today, may the Lord's Bride awake with the knowledge that we alone possess the love of our faithful Groom, Christ Jesus.

posted by Nathaniel the Darnell

My personal view would closely echo the above sentiments

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I asked, "What love is this?"

You gave me a fantastic answer non-religious. I enjoyed every word in your post, for it expounds on the glory, majesty, and specificity of God's love.

I would like to highlight one of the more simple, yet eloquent things you said.

non-religious said:
If God loved everyone, then in effect, God's love would be meaningless.

So, I ask, "What love is this?" Your answer, "What wonderous love" is truly apropos, so long as we do not shrink from acknolwedging that God has reserved His efficacious love for His children alone.

God bless you

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[Reformationist]I asked, "What love is this?"

You gave me a fantastic answer non-religious. I enjoyed every word in your post, for it expounds on the glory, majesty, and specificity of God's love.

I would like to highlight one of the more simple, yet eloquent things you said.

So, I ask, "What love is this?" Your answer, "What wonderous love" is truly apropos, so long as we do not shrink from acknolwedging that God has reserved His efficacious love for His children alone.

God bless you

If only I could articulate that point so well. I found this on a blog by Nathenial the Darnel (cut and paste job) and he summed up my opinion far better than I could have said it. I'm glad it blessed you :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why love a person that hates people before they have done anything bad?
Why love a person who causes infants to be molested and causes many other crimes?
That is sick.
Then this is realy gonna make ya puke:
Ro 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Joshua 6:21: And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If God loves everyone and everyone is not saved, then what does God's love have to do with salvation?

Well, it certainly isn't the deciding factor in our salvation, now is it? I would love for the "God loves everyone" advocates to explain how such a premise is, in any way, glorifying to God.

God bless

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If God loves everyone and everyone is not saved, then what does God's love have to do with salvation?

Good Day, JM

may be it is a second hand emotion......^_^ :p

Sorry just could not help my self :D

Bill

Reactions: edie19
Upvote 0