✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is God in control of the Weather?
Exo 14:21 And Moses stretched out his hand over the sea; and the LORD caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided.

Japan News
June 21, 2012. In many ways, Japan is still reeling from the devastating earthquake and tsunami of March 11, 2011,

On the morning of December 26, 2004 a magnitude 9.3 earthquake struck off the Northwest coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

Hurricane Katrina's winds and storm surge reached the Mississippi coastline on the afternoon of August 28, 2005, beginning a two-day path of destruction

Mat 8:26 And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.
27 But the men marvelled, saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him!

Fire forces Air Force Academy to evacuate
COLORADO SPRINGS, June 28 (UPI) -- Army combat engineers rushed to stop a major wildfire that left tens of thousands of people homeless, from consuming the Air…United Press International·

Neo-Pagans Get Worship Circle at Air Force Academy | Fox News
FOX NewsMay 01, 2010 · Witches, Druids and pagans rejoice! The Air Force Academy in Colorado is about to recognize its first Wiccan prayer circle

1Ki 19:11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:
12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

Psa 107:29 He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.
National Cathedral Earthquake Damage
The National Cathedral was one of the many iconic structures in the DC area to be damaged by August 23rd 5.8 earthquake.
Psa 107:25 For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof.

Deadly storms strike in Oklahoma, Missouri, Minnesota
Storms kill hundreds, flatten homes across central and southern U.S.
A wave of storms moved across the South, spawning the deadliest tornado outbreak in nearly eight decades. It came days after a severe storm and tornado in the St. Louis area left homes flattened and an airport closed.

The 2011 Joplin tornado was a catastrophic EF5 multiple-vortex tornado that struck Joplin, Missouri in the late afternoon of Sunday, May 22, 2011. It was part of a larger late-May tornado outbreak sequence and reached a maximum width in excess of 1 mile (1.6 km) during its path through the southern part of the city.
This was the third tornado to strike Joplin since May 1971

Psa 35:5 Let them be as chaff before the wind: and let the angel of the LORD chase them.
6 Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the LORD persecute them.

(Reuters) - The death toll in the May 22 tornado that tore through Joplin, Missouri, has reached 162 people and is likely to rise further, a county coroner said on Wednesday.
Joplin Globe Like nearly 20 other churches that were destroyed in the tornado, Joplin Full ... Another 27 were seriously damaged.

Baptist Press - In battered Tuscaloosa, churches share the pain ...
BP News... through the streets of Tuscaloosa, Ala., following the April 27 killer ... On April 27, tornadoes damaged at least 22 churches in the Tuscaloosa County area, destroying about nine of them
April 28, 2011–A strong line of severe storms on April 27 spawned multiple tornadoes in the states of Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee, wreaking destruction and devastation on some Church of God congregations.
The latest AP reports indicate that more than 200 people are dead in six states in the deadliest outbreak in 40 years.
two Church of God churches were destroyed, and six others, as well as several parsonages were damaged
Job 1:19 And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Weather happens.
:doh:
Job 5:10
Who giveth rain upon the earth, and sendeth waters upon the fields:

So also the droughts!

Deu 11:17
And then the LORD'S wrath be kindled against you, and he shut up the heaven, that there be no rain, and that the land yield not her fruit; and lest ye perish quickly from off the good land which the LORD giveth you.

Deu 28:24 The LORD shall make the rain of thy land powder and dust: from heaven shall it come down upon thee, until thou be destroyed.

2Ch 7:13 If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people;

Psa 11:6 Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: as the portion of their cup.
Psa 105:29 He turned their waters into blood, and slew their fish.
30 Their land brought forth frogs in abundance, in the chambers of their kings.
31 He spake, and there came divers sorts of flies, and lice in all their coasts.
32 He gave them hail for rain, and flaming fire in their land.
33 He smote their vines also and their fig trees; and brake the trees of their coasts.
34 He spake, and the locusts came, and caterpillers, and that without number,
35 And did eat up all the herbs in their land, and devoured the fruit of their ground.
36 He smote also all the firstborn in their land, the chief of all their strength.

Upvote 0

Soulgazer

Christian Gnostic
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
✟19,403.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah, the scripture of the Sadducee. No doubt they believed God controlled the weather. If I were to credit it to a supernatural force though, I would credit it to Paul's "god of this world". Supposedly it has a twisted mind and sense of humor to match.

I watch the storms on Jupiter all the time. Nobody lives there, so it would just be a supernatural entity twiddling it's thumbs.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ah, the scripture of the Sadducee. No doubt they believed God controlled the weather. If I were to credit it to a supernatural force though, I would credit it to Paul's "god of this world". Supposedly it has a twisted mind and sense of humor to match.
I watch the storms on Jupiter all the time. Nobody lives there, so it would just be a supernatural entity twiddling it's thumbs.
:confused: "Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?"

2 Cor 4:
4 that by the God of this world the supreme Being is meant, who in his judgment gave over the minds of the unbelieving Jews to spiritual darkness, so that destruction came upon them to the uttermost.

But God hath blinded the minds of the unbelievers of this world, Theophylact, and Augustine, all plead for the above meaning; and St. Augustine says that it was the opinion of almost
all the ancients. (Wakefield, Adam Clarke Commentary)

Matthew 8:26 But He said to them, "Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?" Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. (27) So the men marveled, saying, "Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey him?"

Mark 4:39 Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, "Peace, be still!" And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. (40) But He said to them, "Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?" (41) And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, "Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey him!"

Luke 8:25 But He said to them, "Where is your faith?" And they were afraid, and marveled, saying to one another, "Who can this be? For He commands even the winds and water, and they obey him!"

Upvote 0

Soulgazer

Christian Gnostic
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
✟19,403.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

that by the God of this world the supreme Being is meant, who in his judgment gave over the minds of the unbelieving Jews to spiritual darkness, so that destruction came upon them to the uttermost.

But God hath blinded the minds of the unbelievers of this world, Theophylact, and Augustine, all plead for the above meaning; and St. Augustine says that it was the opinion of almost

Naw, Paul meant Yaltoboath. Jesus outranks the little twit. ;) By the time of Augustine the church had thrown away any of Paul's stranger teachings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Naw, Paul meant Yaltoboath. Jesus outranks the little twit. ;) By the time of Augustine the church had thrown away any of Paul's stranger teachings.
Yaldabaoth falsely believes himself to be the only god in the entire cosmos and rejected Faith. so that is "Why are you so fearful? And why you have no faith?"

2 Cor 4:
4 that by the God of this world the supreme Being is meant, who in his judgment gave over the minds of the unbelieving Jews to spiritual darkness, so that destruction came upon them to the uttermost.

Matthew 8:26 But He said to them, "Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?" Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. (27) So the men marveled, saying, "Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey him?"

Mark 4:39 Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, "Peace, be still!" And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. (40) But He said to them, "Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?" (41) And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, "Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey him!"

Luke 8:25 But He said to them, "Where is your faith?" And they were afraid, and marveled, saying to one another, "Who can this be? For He commands even the winds and water, and they obey him!"

Upvote 0

Soulgazer

Christian Gnostic
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
✟19,403.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I would have to know what "Almost all the ancients" means to the author before I could dispute it further.
It would not have been the opinion of the Nassene, the Sethian, the Ophites, Marcionites, or Valentinians, or any of the Nag Hammadi authors.

That covers about 99% of pre-catholic Paulines, plus some up into the fifth and sixth century.

They believed that the "god of this world" was Yaltoboath, also known as "Samael" or "god of the blind".
These are names for the false images of God that people carry in their minds, as well as terms that encompass things as diverse as legalism and nature.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would have to know what "Almost all the ancients" means to the author before I could dispute it further.
They believed that the "god of this world" was Yaltoboath, also known as "Samael" or "god of the blind".
And even in your mythology who controls those who are blind? or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?

Yaldabaoth falsely believes himself to be the only god in the entire cosmos and rejected Faith.
Being blind, he cannot perceive the Pleroma (galactic core), nor does he recognize Sophia, the cosmic current that surged from the core and produced him in the first place. (in the Sophianic origin myth)
(Apoc John BG 38, 1-10)

Exo 4:11 And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?

Isaiah 6:9: Go and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not. MAKE the HEART of this PEOPLE FAT, and MAKE their EARS HEAVY, and SHUT their EYES; LEST they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, Matthew 13:14,15; ; Mark 4:12; ; John 12:40;

and particularly Romans 11:8-10: God HATH GIVEN THEM THE SPIRIT of SLUMBER, EYES that they SHOULD not SEE, and EARS that they SHOULD not HEAR; let their EYES be DARKENED, in the same circumstances of wilful rebellion and obstinate unbelief; and the great God of heaven and earth is he who judicially blinds their eyes; makes their hearts fat, i.e. stupid; gives them the spirit of slumber: and bows down their back, apostle means the true God by the words the god of this world that by the God of this world the supreme Being is meant, who in his judgment gave over the minds of the unbelieving Jews to spiritual darkness, so that destruction came upon them to the uttermost.

of THIS WORLD, means simply mankind at large in their state of probation in this lower world, in opposition to their state in the world to come. The same meaning the word has in several other places, to which l need not refer; it simply implying the present state of things, governed by the Divine providence, in contradistinction from the eternal state: and it is very remarkable that, in 1 Timothy 1:17, God himself is called τω δε βασιλει των αιωνων, the King of the WORLD; what we call King eternal; but here it evidently means him who governs both worlds, and rules in time and eternity.

Some, and particularly the ancient fathers, have connected and have read the verse: But God hath blinded the minds of the unbelievers of this world, Theophylact, and Augustine, all plead for the above meaning; and St. Augustine says that it was the opinion of almost all the ancients
The Adam Clarke Commentary
http://www.studylight.org/com/acc/view.cgi?book=2co&chapter=004
also Wakefield

Archelaus Acts of the Disputation with the Heresiarch Manes: Then Manes made the following reply to him: And what manner of God now is it that blinds one? For it is Paul who uses these words: "In whom the God of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the-Gospel should shine in them."[716]

Origen Commentary on Matthew Book XI: Who are such? The Pharisees, whose minds the god of this world hath blinded as they are unbelieving, because they have not believed in Jesus Christ; and he hath blinded them so that the "light of the Gospel of the glory of God in the face of Christ should not dawn upon them."[127]

Tertullian Against Marcion Book V: The latter method has been adopted by Marcion, by reading the passage which follows, "in whom the God of this world,"[516]

Codex Sinaiticus "the God of the world"

Joh 12:40 He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, that they may not see with their eyes, and understand with their heart and be converted, and I should heal them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You've given a post catholic apologetic for the term, I've given the pre-catholic. Now you know both. I am not going to sledgehammer you----- it's all just theology. I believe that weather just happens.
Okay, just ask Sodom and Gamorrah or better yet, ask Lot's wife!

Upvote 0

served

Dec 19, 2010
✟15,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I believe that weather just happens.

I do too in the carnal scientific sense...But GOD foreknew correct? God knew exactly what he created and the consequences of it correct? He knew it, so he is responsible for it all just like he is responsible for his children. I don't think any of it is chance do you?

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2012
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There seems to be two kinds of evil in the world. Sin and chaos.

It makes more sense to me to attribute chaos to yalda (being that he is the child of chaos), and sin to satan. I know that is is not really accurate theologically but it doesn't make sense to me to attribute both to either one of them.

satan and yalda are interchangable things to me, however sin and chaos seem to be two completely separate things. When a person refuses to sin it has positive outcomes that result in staving off one kind of evil. However there is absolutely nothing at all that we can do to keep wolves from eating rabbits, or to keep tornadoes from destroying mobile homes.

I feel like the spirit is connected to the physical (even though spirit is reality and the kenoma is an illusion), so maybe if we all collectively stopped being evil then the physical world would have to fall in line? I don't know if that would happen or not but I feel like if we stopped being evil the earth that we lived on would no longer have a purpose to serve.

Upvote 0

Soulgazer

Christian Gnostic
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
✟19,403.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There seems to be two kinds of evil in the world. Sin and chaos.

It makes more sense to me to attribute chaos to yalda (being that he is the child of chaos), and sin to satan. I know that is is not really accurate theologically but it doesn't make sense to me to attribute both to either one of them.

satan and yalda are interchangable things to me, however sin and chaos seem to be two completely separate things. When a person refuses to sin it has positive outcomes that result in staving off one kind of evil. However there is absolutely nothing at all that we can do to keep wolves from eating rabbits, or to keep tornadoes from destroying mobile homes.

I feel like the spirit is connected to the physical (even though spirit is reality and the kenoma is an illusion), so maybe if we all collectively stopped being evil then the physical world would have to fall in line? I don't know if that would happen or not but I feel like if we stopped being evil the earth that we lived on would no longer have a purpose to serve.
Or maybe if the earth wasn't a chaotic place that requires competitiveness to survive we wouldn't be so quick to sin? Don't know.

I do know that chaos is completely random and natural. Paul explains it very well in Romans. He says that in his mind he intends to do good, but because he's victim to his body, he's forced to do evil or "sin". So even though he wants to do good, he can't, because his environment forces him to sin.

As Philip pointed out, nothing exists here without the destruction of something else. It's a cesspool of destruction at the foundation level. That level of imperfection I have a hard time ascribing to the Perfect Father. The art reflects the artist; in this case (weather) the god of the world sends favorable breezes to send a ship to port, and changes his mind to sink them before they get there. Sounds like old crazy eyes to me!

Upvote 0