Visit site
✟393,981.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And that is the point I was making... eventually Steam will no longer exist.

Eventually CDs Drives will be obsolete.
Eventually DVDs Drives will be obsolete.
Eventually your version of your OS will be obsolete.
Eventually your Console Gaming system will be obsolete.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,981.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Be warned, I bought steam for the purpose to purchase one game, about 2 years ago now. My steam game library is at 36 titles now.....

There are so many good deals on that site that you'll be forced to buy.

Yea, got the Orcs Must Die last year during their holiday sale.
Got ORcs Must Die 2 this year :D

Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Eventually the Earth will no longer exist. What was your point?
The point is you're dumping money into a product that doesn't permit you to actually own any of the content, so if Steam were to sell to a larger company next year (which has happened to many companies in the past when its owners gets greedy) which cared more about making as much profit as possible and ruined the service to the point of everyone moving to a competitor causing Steam to close its doors, then everyone who bought games from them, spent thousands of dollars with them will pretty much be screwed because there will no longer be a way to activate those games again even if they backed them up.

Upvote 0

Mr. Pedantic

Jul 13, 2011
Auckland
✟9,178.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The point is you're dumping money into a product that doesn't permit you to actually own any of the content, so if Steam were to sell to a larger company next year (which has happened to many companies in the past when its owners gets greedy) which cared more about making as much profit as possible and ruined the service to the point of everyone moving to a competitor causing Steam to close its doors, then everyone who bought games from them, spent thousands of dollars with them will pretty much be screwed because there will no longer be a way to activate those games again even if they backed them up.

EA wants to buy Valve for $1 000 000 000 | Steam Unpowered

In fact, I'm with Gabe on this one: I would rather see Steam (and Valve) die and all my games become unplayable than go into EA's hands.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,981.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

We get it you don't like Steam, don't buy their product then.
Not everyone lives life in the What If the worst happens world.

Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We get it you don't like Steam, don't buy their product then.
Not everyone lives life in the What If the worst happens world.
I don't. I buy physical product. I have a total of 1 game bought from Steam which I won't be sad if I lose, but it seems I can only buy my Skyrim DLC from there as well. Annoying but not the end of the world.

And no, not everyone spends as much time evaluating possibilities as I do, but they are also the first ones to whinge and complain when the inevitable happens because they didn't think things through. Should we, the ones who actually thought ahead, tell you the same thing you just told me when it does?

Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
(Wow, my old thread got revived! :eek: It's interesting that after all these years I still haven't bought anything from Steam, and the game I posted about still hasn't been released!)

I think that digital distribution sucks. It's really unfortunate that it has become so popular that even boxed games often require digital activation after installing, like when I bought Portal once, I had to install Steam only to activate it.

I like how old games seem to be kind of self-sufficient. If I find one, I can just install it and play it. No registration, no activation, nothing like that. The game just works. If digital activation had been popular back then, I probably wouldn't be able to play these games, since in many cases the companies that produced them don't exist any more. As for today's games, who knows if it will be possible to play them 10 years from now, or 20 years... The only hope is that there will be cracked versions available. But I won't be surprised if eventually even some of the game content will be hosted on a server, so that even a single player game would need to be constantly connected to the internet, and a crack won't help. And no company will exist forever. One day the game servers will go down for good, and at that moment the game won't exist any more, anywhere.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums