Doctors said she would never walk or talk... a nurse suggested her parents 'leave her' at the hospital. Now 21, extraordinary Ellie is strutting…

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
…down catwalks for Gucci and modelling for Vogue

Aged 21, Ellie Goldstein has just collected the keys to the home she bought, in a beautiful Essex conservation area, thanks to her earnings from modelling assignments, including appearing on that most coveted of covers, Vogue magazine, in May.

As the mortgage company, which confirmed Ellie’s eligibility based on her past three years’ earnings observed, being in a position to buy a house at an age when most sit precariously atop a mountain of student debt — she is also studying performing arts at college — is quite the achievement.

In fact, given the doctor’s prognosis, when Ellie, who has Down’s syndrome, was born that she would ‘never walk or talk’, and one nurse’s suggestion that her parents might want to just ‘leave her’ at the hospital, it seems nothing short of a miracle.

Ellie, who has also written a book about her life, aptly titled Against All Odds, agrees: ‘So now I’m a model, an author, a student and a homeowner,’ she says, beaming proudly. ‘I’d like to tell that to the doctor who said I’d never walk or talk!’

She has defied all expectations since her birth in December 2001, going on to make history as the first model with Down’s syndrome to feature in major international campaigns — Gucci hired her for its Unconventional Beauty adverts, landing her the cover of Italian Vogue in 2020.

Continued below.