Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lieberman has appeared before the United States Congress providing testimony at the Congressional Hearing of the Subcommittee on National Security, International Affairs, and Criminal Justice of the Committee on Government Reform and Oversight - "Report from the Front Line: The Drug War in Hollywood"; she provided a statement at U.S. Senator Kent Conrad (D-North Dakota) Press Conference to announce the formation of a Citizens Task Force on TV Violence; she appeared before the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee Joint Hearing, Constitution Subcommittee chaired by Senator Paul Simon (D-Illinois) and the House Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Crime and Criminal Justice – "10 Point Plan to Sweep Violence Off TV and Off Our Streets"[citation needed]​
Readers will note Dr. Lieberman is board certified and has trained in both the US and Europe. She has been considered enough of an expert to be called by Democratic Congressmen as an expert witness three different times.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,680.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Based on her CV and publications I'm seeing much to indicate she has any real experience with geriatrics or neurocognitive disorders, discounting anything she got in her medical training decades ago. And yes she was a expert witness to Congress multiple times, but each time speaking about the link between psychology and media. That has nothing to do with cognition or aging. I see no reason her opinion should hold any weight.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In an interview on “Real America’s Voice” last week, Dr. Carole Lieberman — who has appeared on Oprah Winfrey, Dr. Phil, Fox News, CNN and many other venues, according to her website — said voters shouldn’t simply focus on the fact Biden is an octogenarian.
This is supposed to engender confidence in her opinion?

Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is supposed to engender confidence in her opinion?
She's obviously famous in doing what she does. Her opinions seem to be valued by a lot of people.

...Why shrug her off?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
She's obviously famous in doing what she does. Her opinions seem to be valued by a lot of people.

...Why shrug her off?
Famous medical doctors have articles published in JAMA. Pop psychologists appear on Oprah.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Famous medical doctors have articles published in JAMA. Pop psychologists appear on Oprah.
Just because Oprah is a woman of colour, and Dr. Carole Lieberman is a woman, doesn't mean we should just write them off. Especially in defence of a wealthy white male president.

What makes you think that appearing on the Oprah Winfrey show automatically qualifies someone as lesser of a person?

...That seems either racist or sexist. Possibly both.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Just because Oprah is a woman of colour, and Dr. Carole Lieberman is a woman, doesn't mean we should just write them off. Especially in defence of a wealthy white male president.

What makes you think that appearing on the Oprah Winfrey show automatically qualifies someone as lesser of a person?

...That seems either racist or sexist. Possibly both.
WOW! The race card AND the sexist card tossed out all in one post while building the strawman.

Dr. Oz got his big start on Oprah. He wasn't posting his studies in medical journals; he was spewing them out on the television.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for this.

APA’s formal response came in 1973 with the adoption of Section 7.3 in the Principles of Medical Ethics with Annotations Especially Applicable to Psychiatry, which became known as the Goldwater Rule.

The rule applies to public figures and states: it is unethical for a psychiatrist to offer a professional opinion unless he or she has conducted an examination and has been granted proper authorization for such a statement” (see sidebar).

Upvote 0

Saber Truth Tiger

Freethinker
Site Supporter
May 7, 2016
North Carolina
✟100,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe it is not wise to diagnose someone with a mental illness or psychological problems without speaking to them for several hours spread out over a few days. I have schizophrenia and I was not diagnosed as schizophrenic just because I lived on the street and had a history of hospital stays. I had to be interviewed by staff members of an agency that helped people with mental illnesses getting off the street. Then, I had to be interivewed by two doctors, one representing the state, and the other was hired by the agency to interview me. A month after the second interview, I was diagnosed as someone with a mental illness. I qualified for social security disability and medicare and medical and I was eventually able to get off the streets and have been for over 26 years. I don't believe you can diagnose someone you never met.

Last edited:
Upvote 0