Is the creation account supposed to be interpreted literally?

• Yes

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Yes but with nuance

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Not even a little, big bang baby!

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
But you can't show it to us? I think I know why.

Let's get your answer first. Or you can confirm expectations. Up to you.
Chapter 2 is not God speaking. Different tenor to the narrative. Most likely this would be where Adam takes over the authorship.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Except where it says it was in one day:
Genesis 2:4 These are the generations of the heaven and the earth, when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the heaven and the earth:

Of course, if this is a parable, it's not meant to be literally interpreted. And if so, then there's no conflict between the six days and the one day account.

YEC is more than a literal revision of Genesis. It's also the addition of many other ideas not found in Genesis.
Really? What ideas are those ideas?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Except where it says it was in one day:
Genesis 2:4 These are the generations of the heaven and the earth, when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the heaven and the earth:

Of course, if this is a parable, it's not meant to be literally interpreted. And if so, then there's no conflict between the six days and the one day account.
Correct me if I’m wrong but you’re one of those that says that the word Yom can refer to an age or an era, correct? Obviously in this usage of the word Yom (day) this is the proper usage of the word in that context. The Hebrews used the word day exactly the same way we use it today. Back in my day, in the day of Noah, in the day when God created the earth and the heavens, these are referring to an age or an era. But when you say for God created the earth and the heavens and the sea and everything in them in SIX DAYS that changes everything. The word Yom never refers to an age or an era in the plural sense when it is used in reference to a number value. God created the earth and the heavens and the sea in six ages or in six eras? Nobody uses the word Yom or day in that manner, it’s not grammatically correct.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Correct me if I’m wrong but you’re one of those that says that the word Yom can refer to an age or an era, correct?
Or "in my time" or "always" or "forever" or...
Obviously in this usage of the word Yom (day) this is the proper usage of the word in that context.
If so, it's difficult to understand how one chapter of Genesis says God made the Earth in six days, and another says He did it in one day.
he Hebrews used the word day exactly the same way we use it today. Back in my day, in the day of Noah, in the day when God created the earth and the heavens, these are referring to an age or an era. But when you say for God created the earth and the heavens and the sea and everything in them in SIX DAYS that changes everything.
He said that he did the Earth in one day.
The word Yom never refers to an age or an era in the plural sense when it is used in reference to a number value.
So do you think it's six days or one?

This doesn't seem like a very solid excuse.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Really? What ideas are those ideas?
For example that the death Adam brought into the world was a physical death. Which is directly contradicted by God in Genesis. God tells Adam that he will die the day he eats from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Adam eats from the tree, and lives on physically for many years thereafter. So if God is truthful, then it was not a physical death that Adam brought into the world.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Chapter 2 is not God speaking.
So you think Genesis 2 is not the word of God? I think we've found the problem. So tell us why you think Genesis 1 is the word of God and Genesis 2 is not. How do you know it's not the other way around?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
God gives you the freedom to be with Him or not. You do not lose that freedom if you accept Him. You remain free to reject Him after that, if that's what you want.
-
Pedal your belies to someone else, i am not interested and i am not going to waste any more time with back and forths debating your beliefs.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For example that the death Adam brought into the world was a physical death. Which is directly contradicted by God in Genesis. God tells Adam that he will die the day he eats from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Adam eats from the tree, and lives on physically for many years thereafter. So if God is truthful, then it was not a physical death that Adam brought into the world.
There a big difference between saying “in the day” and “in six days”. You know this, it’s common knowledge so please stop pretending that you don’t know how these terms are different.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
So you think Genesis 2 is not the word of God? I think we've found the problem. So tell us why you think Genesis 1 is the word of God and Genesis 2 is not. How do you know it's not the other way around?
Include my entire post or you are just trolling.

I made my point clear as I think you can handle the details.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You don’t want to say because you know it’s astronomically ridiculous to consider love to be a work. Why play games?

I do not want to say because i have wasted enough time on back and forths with you in the past. And i limited my present time i waste on you now. so like this will be my last reply to you about this. Even though i ask you a question, i will not reply back.

Show one verse where it is stated love is condition required by God to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Show one verse where it is stated love is condition required by God to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.
Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the greatest commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said to him: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind. 38 This is the greatest and the first commandment. 39 And the second is like to this: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments dependeth the whole law and the prophets.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

There a big difference between saying “in the day” and “in six days”. You know this, it’s common knowledge so please stop pretending that you don’t know how these terms are different.
So it's literal unless you don't want it to be literal. BTW, Adam never was immortal. In fact, at one point, God expresses concern that he might become so, and takes steps to be sure that he does not.

So Adam, rather than dying physically that day, actually lives a much longer than normally human lifespan. This is how we know that the death Adam brought into the world was a spiritual, not a physical death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the greatest commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said to him: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind. 38 This is the greatest and the first commandment. 39 And the second is like to this: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments dependeth the whole law and the prophets.

Your verses are missing some very important words. Specifically the words that say, "to receive Eternal Life a person must love God"

You want to see a verse stating the condition to receiving Eternal Life. “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Or another one and another one and another one, not a single one mentions loving God

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believe in Me has everlasting life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Your verses are missing some very important words. Specifically the words that say, "to receive Eternal Life a person must love God"
Seems like that would be the greatest commandment. Everything else depends on the two.

In fact, God says that you will not enter the kingdom of God if you do not do His will. In Matthew 25 He says that what you do for the least among us, will determine where you spend eternity. He also says that some of the saved will not know why they are being saved, which means they aren't even believers. But what they did saved them.

Matthew 25:37
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
You don't have to answer my questions, but of course people will draw conclusions from that refusal.
What refusal. I made my point already and you cropped it out of your question.

You are the one editing posts for your own argument. Try replying to the entire post I made instead of just one piece.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Seems like that would be the greatest commandment. Everything else depends on the two.

In fact, God says that you will not enter the kingdom of God if you do not do His will. In Matthew 25 He says that what you do for the least among us, will determine where you spend eternity. He also says that some of the saved will not know why they are being saved, which means they aren't even believers. But what they did saved them.

Matthew 25:37
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
-
These people from the start are called righteous and the only way to become righteous is to receive The life of God. And the only way to receive The Life of God is to believe in Jesus.

Too bad this escapes you.

Bye

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
These people from the start are called righteous and the only way to become righteous is to receive The life of God.
According to Jesus, the way to do that, is to show your love for Him and for your fellow man by doing for them. He says those who are not righteous are those who did not do for the unfortunate.

I believe Him.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.