• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Do you really want a cure?

FLBear

Sep 17, 2008
NW Florida, USA
✟15,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Interesting input from everyone. Now at age 50, I have finally been told that a majority of my "problem" is Asperger's. I'm an A

Well, I like me and my way of thinking about things, though sometimes things get overwhelming. The main thing that I would want "cured", only one thing, is my inability to read other people, to recieve and understand the non-verbal communication of our species. I've even read books on it but still can't see it.

Upvote 0
D

dudeman

What is a proper definition of Aspergers..Is it a thing where everybody thinks its cool/cute that you have intense interests, and the conversation is off? Or is it a thing where people look at you fustrated/starteled and sort of yell out "your weird!" This is supposed to be inherited. Meaning it just keeps getting passed along. It is nice to have intense interests and passion about certain things, but if others don't take to you, that in most cases grows to be a problem.. Pray for a cure...

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
there are a lot of much worse things than having a dignoses.
so much worse that already the internet in the united states is seeing more and more censorship, as is publicized a lot about china and some other countries.
on the internet, servers and then search engines and then forums are censored more and more,
and monitored universally (every 15 minutes is common) by the world gov and world church to track 'disidents' and future 'problems'.

when you pray for a cure, realize it is already available for some, but won't be permitted for most until after the return of the Master Yahshua.

Upvote 0

Suzaku

Martian Dreamer
Aug 7, 2009
✟7,622.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, I believe that Aspergians, and indeed all Autistics, are far more capable than given credit for. I had milder-ish symptoms most of my life. I had a wonderful systematic brain. Then, due to certain circumstances :nooo::nowords::whyy:, things stopped mattering. I started deleting bits of info in my head. My communication was messed up, but I still remembered a lot, and had a lot of capacities that I wasn't supposed to. Things stopped mattering, as I had lost my sense of purpose. I re-found a purpose. I forgot the rest. Capacities.... Still miss 'em... Ach, well. I could never want a cure for something that could pretty much take care of itself if conditions were proper. :) :clap:

:preach:

FOR I AM FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE, FASHIONED IN THE IMAGE OF A NEURODIVERSE CREATOR. AMEN, AND AMEN.

:clap: :)

Upvote 0

amberlight

Jun 8, 2009
✟7,655.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Personally I have no wish to be 'cured' of being me. My whole way of being is ASC. It is how I see, hear, taste, touch and smell the world - through the brain design that I've been given. It is how I encounter people and understand them. It gives me a faster brain speed, more ability to see and process detail, it's allowed me to save lives through smelling gas leaks or hearing an oncoming vehicle that others didn't. If this 'whole of me' is just seen as some awful mistake, then I too am seen as just an awful mistake. I do not claim that my life is always easy, but neither do I think that 'easy' is how God wishes any of our lives to be. I learn through the challenge, I find God through the challenge. And He has been there for me.

If people can't love me as I am, what makes them think they'd be able to love me if I were different, effectively someone else completely?

Yes, I respect those who wish for a cure, but in the UK, our new learning disability report for our main church, "Opening the Doors", says that praying for someone with a LD or autism to be cured without their permission is a form of abuse. I think they have a point.

Upvote 0

IDDQD

Nov 2, 2005
✟3,613.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
No.

Granted, I've had a rougher life than most due to Asperger's, but if there's one thing I learned it's that I can never take anything regarding socialization for granted. There's a kind of appreciation I get from knowing that I don't take anything for granted when it comes to being with others. Everyday I have to practice how to communicate with other people, what to say and what not to say, how to act in certain situations, and so on and so forth.

I've reached a point in my life that nobody knows I have Asperger's unless I tell them, and when I do, they're usually surprised in the positive sense. I think it's because they have such a fatalistic outlook for those on the Autism spectrum, that or they associate everyone on the Autism spectrum as being low-functioning. I honestly don't know.

Despite my own weaknesses due to Asperger's, I know how to counter them with my strengths due to Asperger's. Practice makes perfect, and from my experience, everyday is a day to practice.

Upvote 0

joris

Jan 11, 2008
✟8,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The way AS is manifest in my life gives me the impression that I have less issues than NT people.
wow... can you explain what you meant with, you having less issues?:)
Maybe we (or I, anyway), have been overlooking something you think of here?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Less issues ... to me when I look at NT people they often have issues with their emotions. While I am emotional, I find I can choose how I'm going to look at the world around. So when something bad happens I look to find a positive thing about it and that's how I view it. Example. I worked as a temp for this company for 9 m onths adn they didn't hire me or any of the other temps. Well, it was a real temptation to look down at the management. They even needed more employes. But I looked at them as giving me an oppurtunity to work some hours this summer and that helped to pay my bills. I do that with issue after issue.

dayhiker

Upvote 0