✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Cary.Melvin said:
Lets say for example that your church declared that the use of Artificial Birth Control (within or out of a married relationship) was a sin against the will of God. Would you obey?
No. This would be a non-essential on which we would have the liberty to disagree.

Upvote 0

Follower of Christ

Literal 6 Day Creationist<br />''An Evening and a
Mar 12, 2003
✟7,754.00
Faith
Christian
Yitzchak said:
Yes. I go to an Assemblies of God church and it is not difficult to obey their teachings since they leave up to the individual to decide on most issues of personal conscience. Things like whether or not I homeschool my children or send them to private or public school. Or the type of music I listen to. They seem to only interfere in these types of issues when it is something clearly at an extreme such as an issue like abortion.
They only insist on adherance to very basic doctrine and on major issues of conduct or morality which things I would do anyway as a christian.
WOW
Thats some church you got there.

I've been to so many that want to make calls on every little aspect of a persons life.
One church even had the audacity to teach that wearing a wedding ring was a sin.
Dont know exactly wear these folks come from.

Upvote 0

Tracie

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
✟15,282.00
Faith
Christian
My church doesn't have specific teachings....we are taught from the Bible. That's the only teaching we need. There are, unfortunately, a lot of churches out there that feel they need to add to God's word. And, also unfortunate, there are churches who teach their people that they aren't able to understand the Bible on their own.

I like what you, Follower of Christ, said about the Bible being pretty straightforward. You really don't need someone else to sit there and tell you what everything means. It is helpful to have someone who knows the Bible better than you who can lead you to other passages that relate to what you are reading, however. But, it's sad that a person can think that they aren't good enough or smart enough (or something) to read the Bible on their own. Not only are they being misled, they are missing out big time!

But anyway, as for the original post....I do try to obey my church's teachings because they are the teachings of God straight from the Bible.

Tracie

Upvote 0

A. believer

Contributor
Jun 27, 2003
✟22,460.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Cary.Melvin said:
Lets say for example that your church declared that the use of Artificial Birth Control (within or out of a married relationship) was a sin against the will of God. Would you obey?
My church doesn't attempt to lay down rules in areas where Scripture allows for liberty of conscience, so that wouldn't really be an issue.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.