Do you know with absolute certainty when you're saved?

directory

Aug 3, 2015
✟7,867.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That is, if you have any slight doubt about your having been saved, are you not yet in Christ? Is salvation an unmistakable feeling, or is it simply a strong hope?

Another way of putting it might be: are you absolutely sure that, if your present spiritual state persists until you die, you'll go to Heaven?

Reactions: True Blu

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is, if you have any slight doubt about your having been saved, are you not yet in Christ? Is salvation an unmistakable feeling, or is it simply a strong hope?

Another way of putting it might be: are you absolutely sure that, if your present spiritual state persists until you die, you'll go to Heaven?
It should be an unmistakable feeling, otherwise one should look to the reason that they do not trust Him to keep them. (IMO).

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Feelings are fickle.

Hebrews 12:21
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

1 Corinthians 9:24
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

Philippians 3:12
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.

Philippians 3:14
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Matthew 24:13
but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.

Matthew 10:22
All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.

Luke 21:19
By standing firm you will gain life.

2 Thessalonians 4:7-8
For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit.

Acts 14:21-22
They preached the good news in that city and won a large number of disciples. Then they returned to Lystra, Iconium and Antioch, strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. "We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God," they said.

1 Timothy 6:12
Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

Ephesians 6:12
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Revelation 3:11
I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown.

Proverbs 24:16
a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again, but the wicked are brought down by calamity.

Ephesians 2:8-10
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

James 2:14
What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?

The faith vs. works dilemma is one that began during the Protestant Reformation. Suddenly, everything became a faith vs. works, or a faith or works debate. In reality, you'll have both faith and works. A better way of putting it is that one will have a faith that works. I only usually see this dilemma among Reformed types and Calvinists- so it's really not even all Protestants or Evangelicals. Arminianism was a response to Calvinism and what they saw that was wrong with it. This debate ignores the whole picture and the totality of what the scriptures say.

Justification is the process of becoming righteous. Justification by faith is being in a covenant with God. Because of Christ fulfilling the law, we're no longer under the Old Covenant, and Christ's Church is under the New Covenant. So, justification isn't a one time event for us. We're in a covenant with God, which is centered around union with Christ.

Salvation is having faith in Christ, receiving the indwelling/gift of the Holy Spirit, and coming to a knowledge of God the Father. Yes, we have faith, but it is a gift by the grace of God, and it is actually God's mercy (and not our faith) that saves us. God draws us to Himself.

Faith is something of an action word. It's continuous, and it isn't a one moment in time deal. Faith is not merely an intellectual assent to a belief in God. You are saved at your baptism into Christ, you are being saved through life in the Church and partaking of the sacraments, and you will be saved at the Final Judgment. So, a life in Christ is a journey to us. We don't attempt to break things down, but see things holistically.

Upvote 0

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My faith relies on God's endless love for mankind, and in love there's no fear (John 3:16, 1 John 4:18). Mark 16:16 also reads: “Whoever believes and is baptized has life, and whoever does not believe is condemned.” I believe and I'm convinced I can count on that promise too. Of course there's times of doubt but in the end it's not so much about our feelings anyways. :)

Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

what is "salvation"?

Old Testament salvation was deliverance from oppressors or oppressive situations.

New Testament salvation is deliverance from "the flesh", mortality, the power of sin,
We receive this when we receive God's Spirit:

"he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour"
(Titus 3:5-6)

That shedding forth of the Holy Spirit began at Pentecost (Acts 2:4, 33), and continues the same today.

We see that they knew precisely when they (and other people - Acts 10:44-46) received God's (invisible) Spirit,
God have independent witness, his sign of speaking in tongues (an unlarned prayer language - 1 Cor. 14:2, 4).

Then you should getto know what you have received and live that new Life.
God has provided a church to facilitate this growth.
You can recognise that church by simply seeing if they ar faiothful to this way of salvation.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Neither. The Bible gives us criteria by which to judge our salvation and know that we are saved. The Bible never talks about salvation as a feeling, but in forensic terms, as something that can be tested and known.

Yes.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
As a Lutheran the concept of assurance is rooted in the specific promises of God. How can I know that I have been saved and am being saved? Because Christ suffered, died, and rose again, He is seated at the right hand of the Father and is coming again, in glory, to judge the quick and the dead; in Baptism I have the assurance of having been united to Christ's death and therefore also participate in His resurrection life (Romans 6), that I have been clothed with Christ (Galatians 3:27), that my sins are forgiven, and that I have the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38) who is the hope and promise--the guarantee--that I will be raised up from the dead in the same way Christ was raised (Romans 8:11) and therefore that I have the promise and the hope of eternal life in the age to come.

Have been saved, am being saved, will be saved. It's not about my feelings or anything subjective about me; but about the objective things: Christ's death and resurrection, the Sacraments, the Gospel, etc.

My salvation is about what God has done, is doing, and will do; it's not about me.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Mediaeval
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Directory,

No, I don't think God intends for us to 'assume' we've been definitely saved, but that we are definitely in the process of being saved, if we persevere until the end. We can have firm confidence about our salvation in the present moment, but not absolute certainty since we still have a life to live out and decisions that remain to be made. We have to actually 'walk-the-walk, and talk-the-talk,' as they say. [ see Philippians 3:7-21 ]

Peace
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Well, on what basis is a person saved? Do works save a person? No.

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Titus 3:3-7
3 For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another.
4 But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared,
5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,
6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
7 that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

The Bible teaches that we are "accepted in the beloved," (Eph. 1:6) who is Christ. When a person confesses their sin, and by faith believes on Jesus as their Saviour, and turns from their God-independent living to a life submitted to and centered on Christ, they are placed "in Christ." And when a person is in Christ, they are clothed in his perfect righteousness and are thereby made acceptable to God. This is the sole way a person may be saved. It is the sole way a person is accepted by God. So it is we read in Scripture,

John 14:6
6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

1 John 5:11-13
11 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

All of this is the context within which you ought to understand your salvation. Does doubt undo all of these facts? No. Once you are saved, you can never be un-saved. Do doubts indicate that you may not, in fact, be saved? Not always, no. Doubts about one's salvation are very common - especially among newly born-again believers. The only good reason one has to doubt the genuineness of one's salvation is if there are no evidences of a regenerated heart in the character of one's living. As the apostle James points out,

James 2:17
17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Real, saving faith always manifests in a changed life. If you claim to be saved and live in exactly the manner you did before you were "saved," there is good reason to doubt your salvation. When a person hears this they often think, "Goodness! I'd better start acting like a Christian! If I don't act like I'm saved, I am not really saved!" But this is completely wrong thinking! One can no more truly be a child of God by acting like it than one can be the child of, say, Prince Charles, simply by acting like it. You see, good works are to be the by-product, the natural result, of being God's child; they are not the means to being God's child. Good deeds reveal your spiritual regeneration; they do not bring it to pass.

Is salvation a "strong feeling"? No. Salvation is a Person: Jesus Christ. Would you no longer be your father's child if you ceased to have a strong feeling that you were? Does a strong feeling have anything, really, to do with the reality of your birth and membership in your human family? Not that I can see.

If my present spiritual state persists until I die, will I go to heaven? Yes. My spiritual state is entirely dependent upon Christ's imputed perfect righteousness, which never changes. My adoption into God's family is secure because Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever.

James 1:17-18
17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.
18 Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.

Selah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Yes I do. Without a doubt and its based on the truth of the Bible and Jesus . Salvation isn't 'a feeling' because feelings waver and they come n go...rather....salvation is based on pure one hundred percent trust in the person of Jesus and what he did on the cross for me to cancel all my sins, and on the confirmation given in Gods inerrant Word. Salvation isn't based on hope either...at least not the kind that hopes its true and will happen ; rather hope is the sure thing we can look forward to after this brief interlude of earthly life is over ..and again...that hope is based on facts of the historical Jesus, the eye witnesses of his death and resurrection, and the veracity of Gods Word. Was this helpful to your understanding ?

Upvote 0

FatalHeart

Wisdom's Associate
Jan 23, 2013
The pulsating core of the interwebs
✟20,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Romans 8:16. It's something I learned in time and it can be checked into as God has ways of re-assuring you Himself. Self assurance is different; I certainly have had alot of friends who matured in their faith and can tell you looking back that they weren't really saved when they had "thought" they were. I also had a few experiences where I was getting tormented and thought I lost my salvation. So I know alot of that comes from the devil. Thoughts of, "Im not worthy," God couldnt forgive me," "He's not interested," "I blew it too many times," aren't really godly and aren't in the Bible. But that whole repent and live message given a few posts up is true and right and definitely on par with what God would say. I have a group of friends that involved in a discipling group if anyone is interested in what they can teach or learn. My email is in my profile.

Reactions: oi_antz
Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
On the one hand, I know that I have received forgiveness from God and I glorify him as the savior. He should be thanked and glorified in this life. But the final word on my salvation can only be spoken by God himself - it's not as if his end-time verdict is a mere afterthought or an amen to what I say now about my status. What HE says, that's what matters.

Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Salvation is neither a feeling nor a hope. It is a PRESENT FACT (1 Jn 5:11-13):
And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. - This "has life", that is what Romans 8:16 describes, that God's Holy Spirit confirms with our clear conscience. It is why it is possible to know with certainty, while a distinction can be drawn against those who believe they have life, but it is a rote knowledge, a formulated conclusion. (For OP's consideration).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Directory,

For me, salvation is not a feeling, nor is it some kind of strong hope. It was and is being completely convinced by the Holy Spirit, as I read from the Gospel of John, that the blood Jesus shed on the cross is all that God requires for my sin to be forgiven. IOW, the Holy Spirit showed me, convinced me, that when Jesus was nailed to the cross, my sins were nailed to that cross with Him and His shed blood there covered those sins. WOW, it was like the holy Spirit turned on the light for me and I could see the truth; I got it. It's not about what I could do like saying a prayer or making some kind of promise to follow or serve God, or anything at all that I could do. There was nothing I could do but cast my hopeless helpless lost soul upon that message, the Message of the Cross. I can't describe my faith as being either strong or weak. I don't think the amount of faith is important; to me if the object of ones faith is Jesus' death on the cross & His shed blood here, however weak that faith might be, then that faith is saving faith. Yes, I have complete assurance of my salvation, because my faith is in what Jesus did, not in anything that I did. I found that assurance & peace in God's Word. Somewhere in His Word God has the best answers for your questions. Ask Him to show you whatever it is that you need to know to have a settled peace with Him, then study His Word for those answers.

The Hymn “It Is Well With My Soul” verse 3 says it best:

My sin Oh the Bliss of this glorious thought

My sin, not in part, but the whole

Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more

Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord, Oh my soul.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Is_Well_with_My_Soul

Don

Upvote 0