Do you identify with a particular denomination?

camethodactor

Sep 21, 2007
Claremont, CA
✟15,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Green
I am a liberal Christian Universalist that was raised as an Evangelical in the Conservative Baptist Association of America (CBAofA) and the Missouri Synod of the Lutheran Church (LCMS). I currently identify with the United Church of Christ (UCC) and the Episcopal Church.

My church home in the UCC- Diamond Bar UCC DIAMOND BAR UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
My church home in the Episcopal Church- All Saints Church Pasadena www.allsaints-pas.org

I claimed a more liberal and inclusive Lutheranism through the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) and a more inclusive Baptist tradition via the Alliance of Baptists and the American Baptist Churches USA.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I'm "just a Christian" first, but I do identify with some denominations and traditions:

Episcopalian (TEC) and the Anglican Communion.
Lutheran (ELCA) and the Lutheran tradition.
The Benedictine monastic tradition.

Formally, I'm an ELCA member and a member of a church affiliated with all three of the above. I hope to also be formally received into TEC when the bishop is available.

I don't consider myself a liberal Christian, but rather an emergent but orthodox Christian not concerned with liberal vs. conservative per se, but just with following Jesus according to my best understanding of his teachings. Sometimes that puts me on the liberal side, sometimes on the conservative side, and I don't really give a fig about that.

I also don't particularly care about calling myself Protestant, Catholic or Orthodox. I think each of the three has some things more right than the others, but we are all just Christians together.

Politically, I'm not liberal or conservative, left or right, but libertarian. That is, I'm primarily concerned about individuals being free to live their lives without being coerced by others.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Well, I'm going to be honest: seeing that I personally hold the belief that Spiritual gifts are available for 21st-century believers (albeit unnecessary for salvation) I would have to say I relate mainly with Pentecostals, for the most part. The church I currently attend is not Pentecostal, but seems to be, rather, a "melting pot" (if that's the right terminology) containing people from various denominational backgrounds (Baptist, Pentecostal, and even Catholic). At this church, the Word of God is preached without compromise, so I am happy about that. Like any other church, it has its problems, but what church here on earth is perfect?

I also feel myself to be fundamentalist. No, not the legalistic, "stereotypical fundie" who relies on a 1,000,000-page book of rigid (and often absurd) rules. Rather, I am open-minded (or at least I try to be), and while I have reasonable standards and my own personal convictions, these are based on my understanding of the Scriptures which I believe are infallible and given by God as a guideline for all Christians. I believe the entire Bible is truth from beginning to end, and this is what brings me to the conclusion that I am fundamentalist, although I don't doubt that there are a number of people here who would vehemently disagree (especially if they are given a chance to read through some of my posts), as I am overall moderate - mostly politically (with conservative leanings when it comes to social issues, but quite liberal on economic issues and matters dealing with health care) - but also possibly on a few theological, Bible-related issues. But this, of course, is a matter of opinion, depending on the issue and how any given individual relates to that opinion.

That being said, I believe that a Christian is a Christian, no matter what the denomination, and this (along with other little issues) is not going to make a bit of difference once we all meet in Heaven - as we will all be too busy worshipping the very King of Kings Himself, in total harmony as the brothers and sisters we are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

XtianAgain

Jesus Junkie
Jan 12, 2006
Mississippi Gulf Coast
✟2,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was born and raised Roman Catholic. Currently my family and I attend a church that's very "Red Letter Christian." I've always believed the most important part of the Bible were the words of Christ. I'd suppose if I had to label myself it would be Liberal Nondenominational Christian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

camethodactor

Sep 21, 2007
Claremont, CA
✟15,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Green
I also am influenced by the Anabaptist tradition (Quakers, Mennonites, ect), the Jesuists and Franciscans, Mysticism especially in the tradition of Thomas Merton and Theresa of Avila, the Emergent Church including Rob Bell, Jay Bakker, ect.
I am a liberal Christian Universalist that was raised as an Evangelical in the Conservative Baptist Association of America (CBAofA) and the Missouri Synod of the Lutheran Church (LCMS). I currently identify with the United Church of Christ (UCC) and the Episcopal Church.

My church home in the UCC- Diamond Bar UCC DIAMOND BAR UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
My church home in the Episcopal Church- All Saints Church Pasadena www.allsaints-pas.org

I claimed a more liberal and inclusive Lutheranism through the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) and a more inclusive Baptist tradition via the Alliance of Baptists and the American Baptist Churches USA.

Reactions: Mick116
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I've been a member of the PCUSA for most of my life. Calvin's theology seems to be the most rational of the classical theologians, though I have questions about some aspects of Reformed theology. Recent PCUSA theology seems to me to be a good mix of the Reformation heritage and use of critical scholarship.

But I'm sure I'd be happy in any of the mainline denominations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I do not identify as a liberal Christian as this term is vague and has connotations I am not comfortable with. For me, it really depends on the issue. I do not believe that there is only one true religion, but I have chosen to seek the Divine in a Christian context, specifically Anglican, so I go from there. I accept the basics of Anglicanism -- the three-legged stool of scripture, tradition, and reason, four councils, sacramental theology and the Dominical Sacraments (baptism and communion), the Nicene and Apostles Creed, and liturgical worship within the context of a community. All of these I accept and submit to, but I am not a literalist in my understanding of the scriptures, faith, creeds, or tradition. While this is not the place to go into that topic, it is clear to me from my study of the scriptures that the authors often re-interpreted and edited texts in light of prior scripture because it is inspired, not a modern science or history textbook.

I do not reject tradition. Tradition conveys the faith and message of the scriptures for each generation. In this sense I am conservative and gravitate toward conservative liturgy. On the other hand, for reasons I cannot go into here, I do have views on many issues that could be characterized as liberal -- I am not opposed to same-sex marriage in the church, the ordination of women, and so forth. I do not believe Christianity is the one true religion. Also, I am a universalist. The most concise way for me to define that using the language of my mythos, Christianity, is that I believe all things -- without exception -- will be reconciled to God. As God is beyond space and time, in some sense, all things are already reconciled and saved -- every flower, rock, and leaf, every sentient being, everything.

Politically, I am very liberal.

Upvote 0

zaida

Dec 14, 2011
✟8,219.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am a new Roman Catholic. Grew up in a non religious home, explored the Unitarians as an adult, the Church of Scotland, was baptised Episcopalian, and have now found my home in the RC Church (at the age of 43!). However, I am politically quite liberal, and ofcourse this makes for strange "bed fellows" - I love the Roman Catholic tradition and faith, and feel so blessed to be a part of it. I adore the communion of the saints, the Eucharist, the role of Mary, the rosary, and the catechism. I cant in my heart agree with everything the Church teaches, but my priest/spiritual advisor says I dont have to understand everything at once. I cant in my heart think there is anything "off" about gay/lesbian relationships, and this is my biggest struggle with my new Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CMatt25

Feb 15, 2013
✟7,759.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Officially I am a Catholic since according to the teaching of the Catholic Church, having been baptized in a Roman Catholic church, that makes me identifiable as a Catholic with a permanent, indelible character upon my soul. In my case confirmed as well. My personal faith beliefs however likely fall more along the mainline - liberal Christian line along the Christian spectrum and Christian experience. So if I were not a Catholic, I might most identify with the UCC and TEC. Perhaps for a 3rd the DoC which has a partnership with the UCC.

Upvote 0
H

HalupkiMonster

I am in a situation where I am attending an Eastern Orthodox Church, and my heart belongs to the Anglican Church, both of which are extreme polar opposites as liberal/conservative goes.

I am a Christian.

This has been reflected in the type of cross I wear. I have a silver cross which is from Russia, a 3-bar cross with "save and protect" on the back (traditional.) I also have a Celtic-type cross with a circle around it. I wear neither, in favor of a simple silver cross. In this way, I express that I'm a Christian. Denominations and Churches are fantastic and wonderful, but right now I don't give my allegiance to either.

Upvote 0
Apr 8, 2004
Schwandorf, Germany
✟9,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As a liberal Christian, do you identify yourself with a particular denomination, or do you simply see yourself as a Christian? I would call myself Methodist with Quaker leanings. :)

I like Quakers. I also like Anglicans. I think I would choose one of those if I really had to. I was baptized Lutheran so that I could go to a Catholic grade school; but my first church as a believer in my 30's was Pentecostal (unbelievable, but true).

But for now I am merely Christian; as liberal minded as I am, I really don't think I would fit into any denomination.

Upvote 0