Do you have a Nativity Scene under your Christmas Tree?

• yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • not any more now

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • we never had one

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,859.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

In the Christian tradition, a nativity scene (also known as a manger scene, crib, crèche (/krɛʃ/or /kreɪʃ/), or in Italian presepio or presepe, or Bethlehem) is the special exhibition, particularly during the Christmas season, of art objects representing the birth of Jesus.[1][2] While the term "nativity scene" may be used of any representation of the very common subject of the Nativity of Jesus in art, it has a more specialized sense referring to seasonal displays, either using model figures in a setting or reenactments called "living nativity scenes" (tableau vivant) in which real humans and animals participate. Nativity scenes exhibit figures representing the infant Jesus, his mother, Mary, and her husband, Joseph.
Other characters from the nativity story, such as shepherds, sheep, and angels may be displayed near the manger in a barn (or cave) intended to accommodate farm animals, as described in the Gospel of Luke. A donkey and an ox are typically depicted in the scene, and the Magi and their camels, described in the Gospel of Matthew, are also included. Many also include a representation of the Star of Bethlehem. Several cultures add other characters and objects that may or may not be Biblical.

• Informative
Reactions: mourningdove~

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟95,859.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How Nativity Scene Traditions Developed in America

Some info:

American crèche traditions started in the 18th century with a small group of Protestant immigrants who brought their Christmas customs to their new homeland in the New World.

The United Brethren from Herrnhut, commonly called the Moravians, was founded in Bohemia during the 15th century (in what is now the Czech Republic). On Christmas Eve in 1741 a group of Moravians founded the town of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. These immigrants and others who came after them brought their crèches and their crèche traditions to Bethlehem. Neighbors began to copy their traditions, and before long, they spread to other communities.

The Moravians call the crèche a “putz,” which comes from the German word putzen, meaning, “to decorate.” The putz includes the manger and the Holy Family as well as numerous figures and details of German village life, including people, animals, landscapes, and homes set among fresh moss, buildings, and water.

More:

• Informative
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The question was worded a bit strangely ...
We NEVER had a nativity under the Christmas Tree, but that was one of the few places that we didn't have one.
We have about FIVE Nativity scenes around the house ... including a silhouette nativity outside that is spotlit all night.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Starting when our kids were little, we put the Fisher-Price "Little People" nativity scene under the tree. The kids would set it up each year. Since the pieces are designed as kids' toys, they're not easy to break or swallow. My kids are in their 20s now, but they still set it up, out of nostalgic fun.

We also have a train around the tree, and sometimes the Magi take a ride on the train.
little_people_nativity.jpg

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟443,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Normally I have a big one on a coffee table because it's bigger than my tree. That said, this year I am using a smaller Nativity and my antique tree.
[Or very very vintage] and I'm decorating simple this year and used a coffee [card] table to set it on.

my tree.jpg

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,241,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We also have a train around the tree, and sometimes the Magi take a ride on the train.
Grandkids want the train. I have to get started on that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟95,859.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Normally I have a big one on a coffee table because it's bigger than my tree. That said, this year I am using a smaller Nativity and my antique tree.
[Or very very vintage] and I'm decorating simple this year and used a coffee [card] table to set it on.

View attachment 324118
Thank you for this fine picture! :)

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums