✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
acceptance said:
John 3:5 "Unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Spirit, he can not enter into the kingdom of God" -- Catholics take this to show the importance of baptism with water

I take this to mean the first birth verses the second birth, as when I woman's water breaks.

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Terri said:
This thread is not about catholic beliefs. I ask the catholics to please try to refrain from trying to turn it into a debate and/or inform us of what you believe. If I want to know what catholics believe, I will ask them in IDD. :)
Terri,

Until he edited it, the OP mentioned Catholics. My understanding is, that we are free to respond to the post as long as we don't debate. No one here is debating. We are mearly answering the question. And if you really want to know what Catholics believe, why don't you just ask us in OBOB? We would be more than happy to provide you with truthful answers. Thank you for being so charitable.

God Bless,

Veritas

Reactions: Acceptance
Upvote 0

tigersnare

Angry Young Calvinist
Jul 8, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
✟1,636.00
Faith
Calvinist
Truth be told, I was actually looking for strickly Protestant answers, which I have yet to figure out how to get. :confused:

Like many of you have so kindly pointed out to us here at P/R/E, if I want to know what you believe I will go ask in OBOB. But it seems I rarely have to do that....;)

Nevertheless, thank you for responding here, you did in fact same me from making a thread over in OBOB, but anytime you have both sides on one thread there is bound to be a problem....the exact problem I am trying avoid. One day....I am more hopeful than I have been in the past :)

Upvote 0

Terri

Senior Veteran
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
✟20,061.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Veritas said:
Terri,

Until he edited it, the OP mentioned Catholics. My understanding is, that we are free to respond to the post as long as we don't debate. No one here is debating. We are mearly answering the question. And if you really want to know what Catholics believe, why don't you just ask us in OBOB? We would be more than happy to provide you with truthful answers. Thank you for being so charitable.

God Bless,

Veritas

Well, my understanding is that you are only allowed to ask questions and if quoting something I said and then telling me that it is wrong is not debating than what would you consider debating.

I assure you that if I have a question about catholics I will ask in OBOB! Would you ever consider letting us have a dialogue here without having to debate with catholics over our replies?

Upvote 0

Cary.Melvin

Roman Orthodox
Sep 3, 2003
Ocala, FL
✟1,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Angeldove97 said:
However, I have attended Catholic services, taken communion, and love Catholics regardless. I don't think I could personally attend a Catholic church as my own church, no, because there are things they do that I don't believe in.
Angeldove97,

You may not be aware of this, but please do not take communion in a Catholic Church. You are welcome and may go up to recieve a blessing if you wish.

The reason for this in order for someone to recieve comunnion in a Catholic Church you must accept all of the dogmas of faith of the Catholic Church which it doesn't sound like you do. So, by taking communion you are professing this which in your case would be untrue. It also requires that you be in a state of grace and not in a state of mortal sin, which you must go to a properly ordained priest to have discerned and absoved.

Peace be with you.

Upvote 0

mikemoore

Nov 23, 2002
Dana Point
Visit site
✟15,138.00
Faith
Protestant
I have always appreciated private interpretation as this is the start and beginnings of the reformation. Luther stood behind it as did Calvin and many others that have preceded us. We get the creeds, confessions, and catechisms from a form of private interpretation. It comes to us from a corporate sense and the men behind these creeds, confessions and catechisms made a lot of effort to get it right so that the church may get it out amongst the peoples. I want to quote from R>C. Sproul in his “Essential Truths of the Christian Faith", he addresses this private interpretation subject better than I could. Page 27, “Subjectivism has been the great danger of private interpretation. Yet the principle of private interpretation does not mean that God's people have the right to interpret the Bible in whatever manner they wish. Along with the 'right' to interpret Scripture comes the responsibility to interpret it properly. Believers are free to discover the truths of Scripture, but they are not free to fabricate their own truth. Believers are called to understand the sound principles of interpretation and to avoid the danger of subjectivism.

In seeking an objective understanding of Scripture we do not thereby reduce Scripture to something cold, abstract, and lifeless. What we are doing is seeking to understand what the Word says in its context before we go about the equally necessary task of applying it to our lives. A particular statement may have numerous possible personal applications, but it can only have one correct meaning. The right to interpret Scripture carries with it the obligation to interpret it accurately. The Bible is not a 'waxed nose' to be shaped and formed to suit the views of the interpreter."

I go to a church that holds to creeds, confessions and catechism and the pastor’s dilignantly search history, other ministers and the Holy Spirit to minister to us the whole Truth of Scripture. It is my reason for going there. I have been to many churches with the truth being told in the latest contemporary subjective style not scrutinized by the faithful peers , creeds, confessions and catechisms and often these churches, pastors and members go down in flames as they get away from already established Truth. And wanting so bad to "hear from God" and interpret a section of Scripture in a new light they hurt the body. Gifted interpretation is still around today but isn't exactly a "brand new bag" and does need to follow certain principles. These "new" interpretations should be able to stand up to the testing of others staying within the proven method and principles of God's people. This is the fail safe method given to us by God.

So in short go ahead and read, devote, meditate and interpret freely with the Holy Spirit but do test your results against that which has proceeded and do it responsibly. One day we will be asked what we did with His Son, His Word and His Church as a member of that body. We all want to hear "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Reactions: Col
Upvote 0

tigersnare

Angry Young Calvinist
Jul 8, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
✟1,636.00
Faith
Calvinist
mikemoore said:
I have always appreciated private interpretation as this is the start and beginnings of the reformation. Luther stood behind it as did Calvin and many others that have preceded us. We get the creeds, confessions, and catechisms from a form of private interpretation. It comes to us from a corporate sense and the men behind these creeds, confessions and catechisms made a lot of effort to get it right so that the church may get it out amongst the peoples. I want to quote from R>C. Sproul in his “Essential Truths of the Christian Faith", he addresses this private interpretation subject better than I could. Page 27, “Subjectivism has been the great danger of private interpretation. Yet the principle of private interpretation does not mean that God's people have the right to interpret the Bible in whatever manner they wish. Along with the 'right' to interpret Scripture comes the responsibility to interpret it properly. Believers are free to discover the truths of Scripture, but they are not free to fabricate their own truth. Believers are called to understand the sound principles of interpretation and to avoid the danger of subjectivism.

In seeking an objective understanding of Scripture we do not thereby reduce Scripture to something cold, abstract, and lifeless. What we are doing is seeking to understand what the Word says in its context before we go about the equally necessary task of applying it to our lives. A particular statement may have numerous possible personal applications, but it can only have one correct meaning. The right to interpret Scripture carries with it the obligation to interpret it accurately. The Bible is not a 'waxed nose' to be shaped and formed to suit the views of the interpreter."

I go to a church that holds to creeds, confessions and catechism and the pastor’s dilignantly search history, other ministers and the Holy Spirit to minister to us the whole Truth of Scripture. It is my reason for going there. I have been to many churches with the truth being told in the latest contemporary subjective style not scrutinized by the faithful peers , creeds, confessions and catechisms and often these churches, pastors and members go down in flames as they get away from already established Truth. And wanting so bad to "hear from God" and interpret a section of Scripture in a new light they hurt the body. Gifted interpretation is still around today but isn't exactly a "brand new bag" and does need to follow certain principles. These "new" interpretations should be able to stand up to the testing of others staying within the proven method and principles of God's people. This is the fail safe method given to us by God.

So in short go ahead and read, devote, meditate and interpret freely with the Holy Spirit but do test your results against that which has proceeded and do it responsibly. One day we will be asked what we did with His Son, His Word and His Church as a member of that body. We all want to hear "Well done, good and faithful servant."
A very fruitful post, thank you Brother.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Col

Good looking and modest
Nov 16, 2003
Canberra
✟8,433.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
mikemoore said:

Great Post. This is what it is all about, investigation and searching for understanding lead by the Holy Spirit.
Considering that we have so many denominations, with different individual Pastors, Ministers and leaderships styles of many kinds, the fact that in essence we all agree on the important principals of following Christ and spreading his Good News and that we put it into practice, is testament to the fact that the Holy Spirit is truly present in all Christianity not just select denominations, and will always guide us to the truth in interpretation. (The cream always rises to the top) Anything less will not stand the test of time. This has invariably been the case over the course of history, notwithstanding the occasional WACO, Inquisition or Crusade, but again these misguided events do not last and we learn from them. I think some of the most important things that God has given us are free will and inquiring minds.
Ministers (Pastors, Church Leaders, whatever you like to call them) are not the message, they are simply the messengers who are called to spread the Good News to the masses. We the masses are free to hear and are encouraged to test everything as they are but imperfect men as we are (or Ladies of course) and can be in error just as we can.

(1 Th 5:19-22 19Do not put out the Spirit's fire; 20do not treat prophecies with contempt. 21Test everything. Hold on to the good. 22Avoid every kind of evil.)

Bless Ya
Col :) <><

Read on, Read on !

Upvote 0

Acceptance

sugar and spice
Sep 7, 2003
Chicago suburbs
Visit site
✟1,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
**Sorry the bottom of this post is in bold (or at least it was in the preview) I couldn't get it to shut off :scratch: **

Well, my understanding is that you are only allowed to ask questions
This is True, (and we can post fellowship posts) but there is also a rule that:

5) No posts that denigrate a Christian denomination or Christian group including the Catholic church will be tolerated - these will be deleted and the poster will be warned.
So when you say:

I would never be a part of a church that would give me the "official" meaning of the scriptures. I would think that is definitely a sign of a cult. I'm sure Jim Jones and David Koresh had their "official" interpretations of the bible and that didn't work out so well.
You compare a church that has 'official' meanings of scriptures (i.e. the Catholic church) to a cult and Jim Jones and David Koresh. I would say this has surely broke rule 5.

*I'm really not trying to debate, and I am sorry it was misinterpreted as so.

Blessings and may we find peace in Christ!

Reactions: Veritas
Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yea I would have to agree...I don't believe that if a church tells you how to think about the Bible it's neccessarily a cult...I'm very careful about using the word "cult" because it can offend some one greatly calling their religion that. Plus that's how the Catholic church works in my understanding and I really don't believe they're a cult. lol Anywho, if a person wishes to have a personal understanding the Bible, nobody should stand in the way of that. Same for having a personal relationship with Jesus.

pflower.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.