Do you ever watch protestant preachers on TV?

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Like to think I have an open mind on this so often watch a protestant preacher on TV. Preachers on Aussie TV include, Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyers, Rev. Schuller (used to be father, now the son_), a Wesely Mission guy and countless others. Some are just totally wacky in my view, fundamentalist to the core. Joyce says something poignant now and then, but she is starting to look like a caricature with all the botoxes to her face. Joel is entertaining but...? There is one Texan guy and his wife talk like they have special access to God that no one else has. Oh Benny Hinn, too who I cant stand.
But I must admit, I sometimes get a more useful message than from my homily at Mass. just saying.

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think a lot of them are hucksters. The Prosperity Gospel is simply factual not accurate. If everyone who earnestly prayed to be wealthy and earnestly believed in faith that God could make them wealthy, became wealthy, we would have a lot more rich people in the world today. :) But that's a lot of what the televised preachers on American television focus on- the so-called prosperity gospel. Then of course there's always some twist about "sowing a seed" in the form of a contribution to the preacher's ministry, which pays him or her a very nice salary, typically, and it being claimed that the money will be returned a thousand times to the person who sends it in, by God, through other means. And if it doesn't work the first time, the advice given is to have more faith and send more money. Just plain and simple not something that's reality-based.

Well, maybe I shouldn't say it doesn't work. It does work for the preachers- who are the ones getting mailed all that seed money. ;)

Honestly, I don't think there is anything Christian about some of these people.

Christ said it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

The prosperity gospel was not Jesus' Gospel, it cons vulnerable people out of money they need to get by, and it is generally just a rotten thing to perpetuate.

That is of course not every TV preacher. But it's a lot of them.

I also find that many of them are a bit bombastic and conservative for my tastes. I feel like asking them to please stop yelling and to please cut down on their use of Republican Party talking points. ;) But mostly I feel like asking them to give people back the money they've stolen from them.

Honestly, I think if not for the first amendment guaranteeing freedom of religion in the United States, a lot of these people would be in jail right now. If people tried this in any way not tied to religious belief, they would be prosecuted.

I literally I think at one point blocked the channels these people were on from my television service at one point using, essentially, parental controls. Some people block MTV or Cinemax, I block the Prosperity Preacher channels and FOX News. ;)

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I used to watch them quite a bit but now I'm almost exclusively Orthodox on YouTube.
Well the last few months I've been the same really. Just about exhausted Bishop Barron and ArchB. Fulton and so on.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
This one is called "Quick Study".
It uses dramatic music and "authentic" props and media aids to really promote the show as "absolute truth". Gotta love the over the top gestures too. It is hilarious! :)
I agree this kind of stuff is the devils work in disguise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Like to think I have an open mind on this so often watch a protestant preacher on TV. Preachers on Aussie TV include, Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyers, Rev. Schuller (used to be father, now the son_), a Wesely Mission guy and countless others. Some are just totally wacky in my view, fundamentalist to the core. Joyce says something poignant now and then, but she is starting to look like a caricature with all the botoxes to her face. Joel is entertaining but...? There is one Texan guy and his wife talk like they have special access to God that no one else has. Oh Benny Hinn, too who I cant stand.
But I must admit, I sometimes get a more useful message than from my homily at Mass. just saying.
I deliberately 'hide' those channels on my tv. For a while, I thought that Joyce Meyer had some good points, but then I started to hear the prosperity bible message, and I found that distasteful - to say the least. So, no, I won't watch.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Thinking Protestants don't claim any of those people mentioned as ministers of God. In fact, we know them as false teachers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.