Oct 13, 2006
Georgia
✟16,641.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm against it.

I don't believe it's our place to punish someone, even if they've murdered someone. God will handle those who wrong us.

The word says, "Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mind to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord." - Romans 12:19

No one can argue with the word of God. That includes ALL wrongdoings, even those that people come up with to put criminals through the death penalty.

Besides, why waste our time killing someone when we can try to help them change or see what they did with the word of God?

Upvote 0

RenHoek

What eeeeeez it man?!
Dec 22, 2005
MI
✟8,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The word says, "Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mind to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord." - Romans 12:19

This, to me is for interpersonal relationships and speaks more against vigilante justice. Governing authorities have a different responsibility.

Romans 13:
3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4 For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience.

Capital punishment is given to the governing authorities to deter heinous crimes.

Proverbs 19:25-25
25 Flog a mocker, and the simple will learn prudence; rebuke a discerning man, and he will gain knowledge.

Any punishment is not only for the one being punished, but also for the simple folks in society who will only learn from a drastic deterrent.

Upvote 0

jesusxchick

God's Little Princess
Oct 13, 2006
Georgia
✟16,641.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This, to me is for interpersonal relationships and speaks more against vigilante justice. Governing authorities have a different responsibility.

Romans 13:
3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4 For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience.

Capital punishment is given to the governing authorities to deter heinous crimes.

25 Flog a mocker, and the simple will learn prudence; rebuke a discerning man, and he will gain knowledge.

Any punishment is not only for the one being punished, but also for the simple folks in society who will only learn from a drastic deterrent.
Any wrongdoing God will handle.

Besides, if the government is killing people because of what they do, what does that say to society? That it's okay to shoot your neighbor because of they something they did wrong to you?

It's more than just not killing someone. It doesn't make since. What gives people to right to kill others? Yes they did kill someone, but what really does give people the right to kill others, even in a situation like that?

What happened to "Love your neighbor as yourself?" It absolutely amazes me and breaks my heart to see this happening. How can we just kill people, even if they did the same? How is that right? It's like stealing something because someone stole from you. It just doesn't make sense.

My heart breaks and cries for this country and every country that allows this. I don't agree with murder, but I could never ever ever just sit there and watch someone die because of what they did. How can someone sit there and watch that happen?

I'm emotionally involved with this so please excuse my emotional state in this. I can't help but even love them, even to a point of fighting for them. I don't condone murder or anything like that, I just can't help but love people like that still.

Upvote 0

RenHoek

What eeeeeez it man?!
Dec 22, 2005
MI
✟8,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Any wrongdoing God will handle.
How then do you interpret the Romans 13 passage saying that the government is God’s agent of wrath on this Earth?
Besides, if the government is killing people because of what they do, what does that say to society? That it's okay to shoot your neighbor because of they something they did wrong to you?
No, that if you commit a terrible crime, justice will be served and it will be punished in an appropriate manner. There is a HUGE difference between murder and capital punishment.
What gives people to right to kill others? Yes they did kill someone, but what really does give people the right to kill others, even in a situation like that?
God (see Romans 13 and numerous OT stonings).
My heart breaks and cries for this country and every country that allows this. I don't agree with murder, but I could never ever ever just sit there and watch someone die because of what they did. How can someone sit there and watch that happen?
Ask the families who had their loved one murdered and cry out for justice. Is God not a God of justice for the victim?
Pr 18:5 -
It is not good to be partial to the wicked or to deprive the innocent of justice.
Pr 21:15 -
When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers.
Christ Himself calls for justice.
Mt 23:23 -
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
I'm emotionally involved with this so please excuse my emotional state in this. I can't help but even love them, even to a point of fighting for them. I don't condone murder or anything like that, I just can't help but love people like that still.
Love does not exclude punishment.
Pr 13:24
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.

I understand your position, but God’s word must trump your feelings.

Upvote 0

jesusxchick

God's Little Princess
Oct 13, 2006
Georgia
✟16,641.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
How then do you interpret the Romans 13 passage saying that the government is God’s agent of wrath on this Earth?

No, that if you commit a terrible crime, justice will be served and it will be punished in an appropriate manner. There is a HUGE difference between murder and capital punishment.

God (see Romans 13 and numerous OT stonings).

Ask the families who had their loved one murdered and cry out for justice. Is God not a God of justice for the victim?
Pr 18:5 -
It is not good to be partial to the wicked or to deprive the innocent of justice.
Pr 21:15 -
When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers.
Christ Himself calls for justice.
Mt 23:23 -
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
Love does not exclude punishment.
Pr 13:24
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.

I understand your position, but God’s word must trump your feelings.
Where does killing come in with this? Where does God say, "Go kill people"?

God does want justice, but how is killing someone godly?

I completely respect justice for those who have been wronged, but show me a passage that says, "Go kill those who have wronged you."

Another thing I wanted to add...

We sin and do wrong against God and we should have eternal death , but He offers us mercy. How then can we not offer mercy to another, even if they've murdered someone?

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is wrong to take a human life while there is any alternative to doing so. This is not to say that the current system of locking someone away and forgetting about them is any better- Mill's argument that indefinite torturous imprisonment is worse than immediate death still stands. Christians should actively seek to help those who have been separated from society by their deeds.

Reactions: Suomipoika
Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,543.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

Can you back this up? As far as I'm aware there is no evidence to support the idea that the death penalty is a deterrent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,543.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
not sure if i agree with the death penalty but what about that one saying...an eye for an eye or a hand for a hand or something like that

Not according to Jesus:

Matthew 5:38-39:
38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'[a] 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Upvote 0

shawnZshihan

Jan 9, 2007
✟7,695.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm for it 100%, and our wimpified society defends psycho's that will always be a problem.

We have some on TV and in office, in fact!

Maybe if anyone here has a family memeber killed by the next Richard Rameriz or Charles Manson, they will sing a different tune. I can guarantee it.

And the Bible backs it as well. This was established in the OT. Jesus was referring to 'private justice' when he referenced an 'eye for an eye'. It had become popular back then for a Jew to seek vigilante justice. This law was for the Judges, Kings and Ruling Authorities to handle.

Also, Paul states that we have officials and governments to deal with law breakers. There would be complete anarchy otherwise. The death penalty is in effect not because it deters criminals, but because it is required for JUSTICE! Has zero to do with any 'numbers' nonsense for the status quo!

But here's the REAL deal straight from God:

Genesis 9:6 "Whoever sheds man's blood, his blood shall be shed by man; for He made man in the image of God."

Amen, Lord!

Shawn

Upvote 0

jesusxchick

God's Little Princess
Oct 13, 2006
Georgia
✟16,641.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm for it 100%, and our wimpified society defends psycho's that will always be a problem.

We have some on TV and in office, in fact!

Maybe if anyone here has a family memeber killed by the next Richard Rameriz or Charles Manson, they will sing a different tune. I can guarantee it.

And the Bible backs it as well. This was established in the OT. Jesus was referring to 'private justice' when he referenced an 'eye for an eye'. It had become popular back then for a Jew to seek vigilante justice. This law was for the Judges, Kings and Ruling Authorities to handle.

Also, Paul states that we have officials and governments to deal with law breakers. There would be complete anarchy otherwise. The death penalty is in effect not because it deters criminals, but because it is required for JUSTICE! Has zero to do with any 'numbers' nonsense for the status quo!

But here's the REAL deal straight from God:

Genesis 9:6 "Whoever sheds man's blood, his blood shall be shed by man; for He made man in the image of God."

Amen, Lord!

Shawn
You can't say that everyone would want to kill them. That's each persons choice. Yeah it is a horrible crime, but there are people out there who have mercy on those who do crimes like this. More mercy needs to be spread around because we're commanded by God to have mercy on others. We don't deserve mercy, but God gives it to us anyways, we should be able to do the same and set an example of how God's love works.

If people are going to be killed for murder and whatever else crimes, then we might as well all be put to death because we're all guilty of crimes against God. Murder is a crime against God because it's against His creation and yet we're all guilty of crime against God's creation somehow, even if it's lying or being hateful. No sin is worse than another because it's simply sin.

Jesus didn't die on the cross so we'd be vengeful towards others, He died so that we might actually have mercy for each other. Jesus' blood covered everyone's sin, and that does not exempt murderers. Jesus died so that we might act like brothers and sisters in Christ and not be hateful or vengeful towards each other, even if those people aren't Christians, they deserve our love and God commands us to love them. The world isn't perfect, but that doesn't mean we have to go down with it.

Jesus didn't allow the woman in John 8 to be stoned because of her adultery. Murderers shouldn't be put to death because of their sin. Every sin is darkness and it's all bad. None of us can point fingers or say that someone deserves to die because we want vengeance or something of the sort.

God did say that Genesis 9:6, I remember reading it and it came to mind when replying to this, but Jesus' blood covered that because His blood covered all sin. No one is exempt from the blood of Jesus and if we have that attitude, then we need to check it and fast.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
yes, i believe in the death penalty, how can i not believe in it, i see it happening all around the world every day, often to people who don't deserve it or actually need help.

no, i don't agree with it. :) it is never right to take someone else's life, even if that person is a murderer. God is the only one who has the right to take a person's life from them (and when He was on the cross, He said "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.") we very rarely see God executing the death penalty on someone for taking someone else's life (e.g. He didn't kill Paul, or David, or the mobs who crucified Christ) but rather for blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (ananias and sapphira), touching the ark of the covenant (uriah), rebelling against the priesthood (korah and co.) &c. &c.

Reactions: Suomipoika
Upvote 0

relspace

Mar 18, 2006
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟9,052.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is your view of the Death Penalty?

I am for the death penalty. But not for the reasons most people are. I am not for the death penalty as a matter of justice, but but only to preserve the public well being. So I believe in the death penalty not for murder (according to some archaic demand of a life for a life), but for something else which I call public menace. Whether it is for murder, rape, robbery, assault or even pollution, if the crime shows a habit of being a danger to the well being of the public, I think the death penalty is appropriate. It is of course for a jury to decide whether any particular person is guilty of being a public menace, but one the key features of this crime is the victimization of strangers, that basically treats human beings as prey. I do NOT for example think that it is appropriate to consider the death penalty for a family member who has committed murder in response to a pattern of abuse, or even for habitual arguing that got out of hand.

That said. I do not know what to think about these cases where man has disposed of his family just because he doesn't want them anymore. I do not understand this behavior, so I do not know what to think in these cases. But for the people who try to kill a lot a people as part of an attempt to go out in a blaze but fail to kill themselves, well I am all for giving them a quiet death, which I hope no one bothers to attend.

Upvote 0

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We individually should not carry out such justice, but the government absolutely should. God demanded capital punishment of countless crimes under the Mosaic covenant, so to say that God would not support the death penalty is not a very well thought out statement.

Yes there are certain crimes that absolutely should carry the death penalty. Not only that, I think we need to be swifter in carrying it out, and I think more crimes need to have it as the penalty.

Upvote 0

RenHoek

What eeeeeez it man?!
Dec 22, 2005
MI
✟8,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK, let’s try this again.
For those who think there should be no death penalty, how do you interpret this passage in Romans?
Romans 13:

What does the sword represent?

Why, also, should we pervert God’s system of teaching the simple their prudence?

Upvote 0

davedjy

Dec 11, 2006
Southern California
✟18,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No! never! Salvation is more important. With these prison ministries and such, I believe some have gotten saved in jail. Their eternal salvation is more important than some "punishment" = NO!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.