Do You Agree With This Article?

Jan 1, 2015
✟7,651.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I know not whether I am Calvinist or Arminian, but I don't think the how and why is relevant to our mission. Our Father has revealed everything we need to know in order to follow his commands. We need not know whether it is the Holy Spirit's irresistible grace that saves or the sinner's willingness to give into it. We only need to go and preach.

That said, the tone and ethos of the paper publishing that article force me to question its credibility. "The only TRUE Baptist paper in Canada"? I sense elitism and pride, not wisdom, being taught by this publication.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Typical of the Hyper-Baptists. What I mean is that there are Baptists who believe you are not even Christian if you are not a Baptist. I suspect the writer may be a Landmark Baptist but if he were there would have been a lot more about the church in the article so perhaps not.

The article is circular and full of misinformation.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Typical of the Hyper-Baptists. What I mean is that there are Baptists who believe you are not even Christian if you are not a Baptist. I suspect the writer may be a Landmark Baptist but if he were there would have been a lot more about the church in the article so perhaps not.

The article is circular and full of misinformation.

What misinformation is included in the article?

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good Day, James

Welcome back :)

To many historical errors, and his misuse of Spurgeon is a joke.. the writer clearly has no idea of Baptist history nor church history.

"Calvin and his followers burned Anabaptists at the stake." really primary historical source please! Kind of funny he has none.

He quotes an intro to a sermon, but one has to wonder if he read the sermon.

If he did he would see:

Every heresy, if brought to the touchstone, will discover itself here. I have my own private opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. I do not believe we can preach the gospel, if we do not preach justification by faith, without works; nor unless we preach the sovereignty of God in His dispensation of grace; nor unless we exalt the electing, unchangeable, eternal, immutable, conquering love of Jehovah; nor do I think we can preach the gospel, unless we base it upon the special and particular redemption of His elect and chosen people which Christ wrought out upon the cross; nor can I comprehend a gospel which lets saints fall away after they are called, and suffers the children of God to be burned in the fires of damnation after having once believed in Jesus. Such a gospel I abhor.

Baptist affirm:

B - BIBLICAL AUTHORITY

A - AUTONOMY OF THE LOCAL CHURCH

P - PRIESTHOOD OF EACH BELIEVER

T - TWO ORDINANCES

I - INDIVIDUAL SOUL LIBERTY

S - SAVED MEMBERSHIP

T - TWO OFFICES - PASTOR AND DEACONS

S - SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE

There are Calvinist, and Arminian Baptist...

In Him,

Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 0

James Is Back

CF's Official Locksmith
Aug 21, 2014
Oklahoma
✟32,480.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Good Day, James

Welcome back :)

To many historical errors, and his misuse of Spurgeon is a joke

If you read that article notice it said this:

Was Spurgeon Calvinist?

Many like to claim Spurgeon as a staunch Calvinist, all the way through, but listen to what he said concerning free-will, and I quote:

But in this article:

173- Spurgeons Beliefs- Election

Spurgeon said this:

I do not think I differ from any of my Hyper-Calvinistic brethren in what I do believe;

So according to them they say that Spurgeon wasn't Calvinist but Spurgeon's own autobiography he said he was a hyper Calvinist. Talk about confusion on their part :D

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Calvin and his followers burned Anabaptists at the stake." really primary historical source please! Kind of funny he has none.

You know Bill, it is funny that even though John Calvin hated and dispised Anabaptists, "calling them furious madmen, frenzied spirits, insane and barbarous men, idiots, and ignorant. He called their teachings delirious dreams, stupidity, mad bedlams and the vomit of a drunkard. In his work titled "Against TheAnabaptists", Calvin said, "Last of all like as a drunkard after he hath well belched doth disgorge the vile broth which charged his stomach, even so these wicked men, after they have detracted this holy estate which the Lord hath so much honored, finally with full throat they do spew out exceeding deformed blasphemies." (Are Baptists Reformed? Laurance Justice)

Yet what happened? He eventually married an Anabaptist woman.

Karma?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Oh and good news for Baptists. Jesus is coming for his Baptist bride and only the Baptists :D

983d- Baptist Bride
I certainly don't believe that. There are many people in our churches who are saved. That is the only criteria for Christ when he comes back if someone has trusted him as their saviour regardless of what church they go to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Omah1970

Nov 28, 2014
✟11,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I certainly don't believe that. There are many people in our churches who are saved. That is the only criteria for Christ when he comes back if someone has trusted him as their saviour regardless of what church they go to.

Neither do I. There's false doctrine in all denominations in one form or another. I am a Baptist but I find the Baptist Brides thing something that is vomit enducing.

Upvote 0

bushinoki

Servant of the Most High
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
✟15,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Some are saying Landmark, but to me his writing had the feel of Independent Fundamentalist.

Too broad a categorization, a few historical errors. I only read the first article.

I generally found his poorly developed thesis to be untrue. Baptists are Baptists because of the general autonomy of individual churches.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States