Do we REALLY know them?

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
First, this is NOT about Fr Corapi. It is about a general observation of how we Catholics respond to people who are well known through the media.

As I was surfing the net, I came across an article which raised a very thought provoking point brought to the fore due to the recent scandel.

"I am disturbed by how much we Catholics have let the media influence our judgement. Just because you see someone on TV, or hear him on the radio, or read his blog, doesn’t mean you truly know them. The best reaction in these situations is not to assume guilt by either party, but to pray that the truth might come out and justice served."
Do we REALLY know them?
Fr. Corapi and media’s reality distortion field

Thirty years ago someone coined the term “reality distortion field” to describe the effect on an audience when Steve Jobs made a presentation. Due to his charisma, Jobs is supposedly able to convince others of his viewpoint even when reality says otherwise. In other words, he could convince Eskimos that they need the ice-making machine he has built.

While this may or may not be true, I think there is a similar effect that occurs with every media personality. When we regularly see someone on TV, or hear him on the radio, or even read his blog, we begin to believe that we really know him personally. We believe that we have developed a relationship with this person, much like the relationships we have with our family and friends. But this is not reality: having access to someone solely via media grants us no real knowledge of a person, at least not the type of knowledge that comes from interacting with someone in person. Although we think we know him, we are in truth strangers. Of course, one can be fooled even when in close personal contact with someone, but this is much more unlikely than if our only contact is through some technological medium.

Which brings us to Fr. Corapi. As most people know by now, he has been accused of immoral behavior and has been put on administrative leave. It is also important to note that he has denied all the charges against him. What I am most surprised by, however, is how many people have strongly defended him (and attacked the accuser) in spite of only “knowing” him through his TV and radio shows. If we have learned anything over the past few years, it is that someone who is orthodox in his public preaching is not immune from personal failings and sins (which we should have known from our reading of the Bible – see St. Peter). Most of us don’t know Fr. Corapi (or the woman who is accusing him), so how can we know whether the accusation is true or not? Because he’s a good preacher?

Does this mean that whenever someone is accused of immoral behavior we should never defend him before all the facts are out? No, but it does mean that we should withhold judgement regarding people we don’t really know. If one of my good friends were accused of something like this, and he denied it, I would defend his good name until any facts contradicted his story. This is because I have built a personal trust that allows me to give him the benefit of the doubt. But if a stranger were accused and protested his innocence, I would wait until all the facts were in before forming a judgement.

I am disturbed by how much we Catholics have let the media influence our judgement. Just because you see someone on TV, or hear him on the radio, or read his blog, doesn’t mean you truly know them. The best reaction in these situations is not to assume guilt by either party, but to pray that the truth might come out and justice served.

Fr. Corapi and media’s reality distortion field « Divine Life – A Blog by Eric Sammons

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
As I said this is not about Fr Corapi . . .

This is about the phenomenem that has lead to heated responses from Catholics in defense of a media personality, as if they truly and personally know such a media personality's character, when they really don't KNOW the media personality personally. .. just the image portrayed through media and on stage.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
I think it means we need to be very careful and aware of the power of media to influence our thoughts and judgements of people's character, which goes far beyond the content.

It's hard to control one's subconscous feelings - and given how the environement of multi media induces alpha states which allows stuff past our filters directly into the subconscious, we must be careful even more so and question ourselves when we find ourselves so ready to defend a personality we really do not know personally.

Upvote 0