Do Preterists believe in the Physical Resurrection of Jesus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., Th. D., is an ordained Presbyterian minister who has served in both the Presbyterian Church in America and the Orthodox Presbyterian Church. He is presently the Dean of Faculty and Professor of Systematic Theology at Westminster Classical College in Elkton, Maryland. He also serves as Assistant Pastor at Christ Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Elkton. He and his wife, Melissa, have three children, Amanda, Paul, and Stephen. He is a graduate of Tennessee Temple University (B.A., cum laude), Reformed Theological Seminary (M. Div.), Whitefield Theological Seminary (Th. M.; Th. D., summa cum laude). He also attended Grace Theological Seminary for two years, while a dispensationalist. When a student at Reformed Theological Seminary he studied under noted Christian apologist and theologian, the Rev. Greg L. Bahnsen, Ph.D. There he became close friends with Dr. Bahnsen, leading eventually to several joint ministerial projects. He and Dr. Bahnsen co-authored House Divided: The Break-up of Dispensational Theology, a critique of dispensational theology. They also spoke jointly at several theological conferences in the South.

Dr. Gentry is a member of the Evangelical Theological Society and is a Contributing Editor to The Counsel of Chalcedon magazine. He has published articles in numerous periodicals including Christianity Today, Tabletalk, Christianity & Society, The Banner of Truth, The Presbyterian Journal, The Fundamentalist Journal, The Freeman, The Journal of Christian Reconstruction, and Antithesis.

He also serves as Faculty member of the Bahnsen Theological Seminary (www.scccs.org), established in honor of the late Dr. Bahnsen. Bahnsen Seminary offers a seminary degree by directed study under tutorial oversight. He has written several books on eschatology, including The Beast of Revelation, Before Jerusalem Fell: Dating the Book of Revelation, He Shall Have Dominion: A Postmillennial Eschatology, and The Greatness of the Great Commission: The Christian Enterprise in a Fallen World. He is a contributor to four eschatological debate books: C. Marvin Pate, ed., Four Views of the Book of Revelation (Zondervan); Darrell L. Bock, ed., Three Views of the End of History (Zondervan); Thomas D. Ice, ed., The Great Tribulation: Past or Future? (Kregel); and David Hagopian, ed., Always Reforming: A Dialog of Differences within the Reformed Tradition. He is currently completing a commentary on Revelation entitled: The Divorce of Israel.

Dr. Gentry frequently conducts seminars, lectures, radio interviews, and debates on eschatological themes. He is also the founder and director of a correspondence course for Christian writers: Righteous Writing. This course provides instruction on reading techniques, research method, improving
writing style, securing a publisher, and techniques of book promotion.
For more information on various ministries by Dr. Gentry, he may be
contacted by e-mail at: kennethgentry@cs.com

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by parousia70
Aunti, What's your point?

Does Kenneth Gentry's Belief, that Consistant Preterists deny the physical resurrection of Jesus, make it true?

Didn't Erwin ask about preterist beliefs on the bodily Resurrection of Jesus? I posted Gentry's belief. I believe Mr. Gentry has a far greater knowledge about preterism than I or others at this board.

Upvote 0

davo

Mar 24, 2002
Visit site
✟1,104.00
Originally posted by Auntie_Belle_Um
Didn't Erwin ask about preterist beliefs on the bodily Resurrection of Jesus? I posted Gentry's belief. I believe Mr. Gentry has a far greater knowledge about preterism than I or others at this board.

I believe you are right -Gentry does have a far grerater knowledge about preterism than yourself -however, like yourself he to doesn't know enough and often misrepesents the case e.g., he says "hyper-preterists" [as he would call us] deny the literal physical resurrection body of Christ. I wouldn't mind seeing which prets he has in mind and the printed evidence of this.

Quite plainly he is WRONG. And as Erwin asked about the bodily resurrection of Christ from a "fulfilled" view not one here who answered denied Christ's bodily resurrection -no contest.

The truth is, Genty is a partial Preterist, which in reality means he is a partial Futurist.

davo

Upvote 0

davo

Mar 24, 2002
Visit site
✟1,104.00
Originally posted by jenlu
from what I've been reading...partial prets are far different than dispensationalists or futurists as you call them...

You are actually quite correct -the point I was making was somewhat technical i.e., anybody expecting a "future" return of Christ is by definition a "futurist" -however an amillennialist is poles apart from a dispensationalist -I know, I was brought up one :)

davo

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟825,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Every Bible believing Christian must confess that at least "some" Last days prophesy was fulfilled in the 1st century, for the Bible records such fulfillment:

Acts 2:16- 18
16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; 17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: 18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

You see, Peter here proclaims with infallible authority that they were in fact witnessing the fulfillment of "Last Days Prophesy" right then and there.
To deny this fact is to deny scripture.

All Bible believing Christians are therefore "Partial Preterists"

BTW, Aunti, if your looking for a moniker to toss our way, "consistant preterist" or "covenant eschatologist" are quite suitable.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟825,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by jenlu
from what I've been reading...partial prets are far different than dispensationalists or futurists as you call them...

and just to confuse matters even more, All Dispensationalists are futurist, but all futurists are not dispensationalist.

BTW, those folks have some good monikers!....
Dispy's, Dis-pen-sen-sationalists, Neo-Hymenaeuns, etc.....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.