Do demons have power over newborn christians?

chaadaasj

Sep 10, 2005
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some time ago I heard there is a difference between demons and evil spirits. Evil spirits are found in the heavenly places and demons are found in ourselves

Paul says that we do wrestle against ……., ……, spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

So, these spirits are outside us
Do all people wrestle against these powers or especially christians ??

Furthermore, as far as I know, people can carry demons with them which can be castened out in the name of Jesus. These demons are thus not outside us.
Does anybody know why the demons begged to be sent in the herd of swine when Jesus drove them out?? (matt 8:28, mark 5:1, luke 8:26)

What do these demons do? Does everybody carry demons? Can christians be bothered by them? Are there some guidelines for recognizing the destructing power of a demon in your life?

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
chaadaasj said:
Some time ago I heard there is a difference between demons and evil spirits. Evil spirits are found in the heavenly places and demons are found in ourselves

Paul says that we do wrestle against ……., ……, spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Who told you that?

chaadaasj said:
Furthermore, as far as I know, people can carry demons with them which can be castened out in the name of Jesus. These demons are thus not outside us.
Does anybody know why the demons begged to be sent in the herd of swine when Jesus drove them out?? (matt 8:28, mark 5:1, luke 8:26)

What do these demons do? Does everybody carry demons? Can christians be bothered by them? Are there some guidelines for recognizing the destructing power of a demon in your life?
First, the man in the herd of pigs passage was possessed. You cannot be possessed by a demon because you are possessed by the Holy Spirit. I have heard of spiritual oppression caused by demons but no possession. Jesus protects you so long as you don't intentionally get into occult activities.

Second, they may exist outside of you and tempt/scare you but they must flee in the name of Jesus.

Third, they vie for your attention so they can tempt you more and scare you more. This would be to manipulate you into falling into an even bigger trap. So shift your attention to Jesus. When your eyes are on Him, they don't have your attention so they cannot accomplish their missions.

Upvote 0

Honibee

Tasting the Lord's goodness
Sep 20, 2005
Passing through (in the USA)
✟18,045.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Hi Chaadaasj, :wave:

These are very good questions you bring up. I agree that
Christians cannot be possessed. Where demons may have an
advantage over the new believer is that a new believer may
not yet realize who he/she is in Christ. It's like the enemy
to take advantage of that. The truth is- evil spirits have NO
power over a christian. They can only hope to sneak their
way in unnoticed. But those who know God and are growing
in Him, need not fear the enemy. Stay in the Word, it will
show you who you are.

Upvote 0

njcl

Jun 10, 2005
✟9,546.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
firstly your view on the "SPIRITUAL WICKEDNESS IN HIGH PLACES" does not mean demons although they might exist there,it means a heirarchy of devilish heaven where people who are evil their spirits live there,the opposite of "HAVING MADE US SIT DOWN IN HEAVENLY PLACES" the christian spirit lives there
hope this helps

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
chaadaasj said:

When a person accepts Jesus as their savior their body become a temple of the Holy Spirit. That means the Holy Spirit dwells within them. Christians are therefore carrying the Holy Spirit. So while i believe demons can be used by satan to attack Christians i believe the attack is always from the outside not from within . Because there is no way the Holy Spirit will share its Temple (a Christian) with a demon. If someone is possessed by a demon then they are controlled to a varying extent by that demon. We can be affected by the actions of demons but we cannot be possessed/controlled by demons.

These demons are thus not outside us.
Does anybody know why the demons begged to be sent in the herd of swine when Jesus drove them out??

Maybe the alternative destination was far more terrible then the swine? You will read that the pigs immediately ran to their deaths into the sea. So maybe their reprieve was only a momentary thing?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2009
✟14,916.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It all depends on the Christian. A born again christian, can NOT be possessed by a demon, but can be influenced by it, if the christian allows to be influenced by it.
For example, in the Ephessians 4:26, 27, it says that if we allow ourself to get angry, it will let the devil have an open door to us and use our anger for his purposes. It is possible that love, kindness, gentleness, attract the angels of God to work in our lives and gives them open door in our lives. But on the other hand, our anger, attract the evil spirits to influence us and use our anger, because our anger, is the fruit of our sinful nature.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Count me as another who believes that a person with the Holy Spirit within cannot be possessed by a demon. Where I am less clear is how much access they (the devil, demons, evil spirits... however you identify them) have to our minds. In other words, when we are influenced by evil, is it some outside stimulus that is triggering something fallen inside us? Or is it possible for them to actually put words into our heads... especially those of rationalization of sin, or condemnation and doubt for our salvation.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe a born again Christian can be possessed by a demon, but I know Christians who have run "into" demons but in both cases they fled when the Christian said verbally "Depart in the name of Jesus Christ".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gideon army

Am the Righteousness to GOD IN Christ by Faith
Dec 3, 2009
This Side of Heaven
✟8,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Hi there Beloved of our Lord's chaadaasj,

Your question is fairly mis-leading, if it's Christians (Born Again) then believe your question will be irrelevant, why?

1 John 4:4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

GOD Almightly who indwells the Believers will not share HIS Dwelling with another ;)

If it's Non Believers then Jesus have already said:-

Luke 11:24 "When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he says, 'I will return to my house from which I came.'

Luke 11:25 And when he comes, he finds [it] swept and put in order.

Luke 11:26 Then he goes and takes with [him] seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last [state] of that man is worse than the first."

Therefore it's sorely POINTLESS to rebuke evil spirits out of non believers if they would not accept Christ for they would be FAR More worse off than originally before one rebuking the spirit off ;)

Before quoting EPH 6:12 as per your original post Bolded above, wonder if you've read EPH 6: 10-11 & verses before that :confused: Therefore, if you have then the Holy Spirit would have given you the Key right? Let's see what you've missed out shall we?

Eph 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.

Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Answered? ;) Now, do you know what Paul's original Intention for wrestle in the Original Greek ? It is πάλη which is pronounced as palē & the meaning are:-

(1) wrestling (a contest between two in which each endeavours to throw the other, and which is decided when the victor is able to hold his opponent down with his hand upon his neck)

However it's a feminine noun taken fm the root word βάλλω
which is pronounced as ballō & the meaning are:-

(1) to throw or let go of a thing without caring where it falls

There you go, it's not about doing for all the Work of Christ has been done by Christ hence leaving the Believers believing in Christ alone :amen:

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Think of stories you've heard --people who went on shooting sprees because of the voices, killed their own families, jumped off bridges.... a spirit harasses, weakens, and demeans. "The accuser of the brethren."

I've seen a lot of debates on the CF forum on this, and there is no flawless answer. From several experiences, I believe that Christians are harassed and even experience some form of attachment.

But we have authority to stand against this, so it is not a matter of Christians being overcome by something stronger -- it is a matter of us forgetting that we can resist these things.

You can fret over the possibility, but worry doesn't lead to progress. Look at how Jesus presented deliverance -- we have the authority, and that is that. We are called to set others free, and Jesus put no conditions on it. It is possible, and it is our responsibility. So there is no need to fear.

A supernatural being would obviously have powers we can't humanly stand against, or overpower, or even outsmart. But it is not our strength that makes it happen. It is the terms of the situation. Like rock, paper, scissors. Jesus' authority always outranks demons.

We are God's children, God's anointed, high priests, his ambassadors, with the Holy Spirit dwelling in us. There is no need to question that His authority resides in us.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is no difference between demons and evil spirits. If one is a new Christian then they have had an exorcism just before their baptism. Christians do have to contend with spiritual forces and we must be diligent. This is why it is so very important for us to live a life in Christ- within Christ's Holy Church- with the prayers of the Church and the Holy Mysteries.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no difference between demons and evil spirits. If one is a new Christian then they have had an exorcism just before their baptism. Christians do have to contend with spiritual forces and we must be diligent. This is why it is so very important for us to live a life in Christ- within Christ's Holy Church- with the prayers of the Church and the Holy Mysteries.

Actually I have found the exorcism comes by confronting the possession, why do you think churches say a prayer to fill the place with the Holy Spirit when they begin? Because many of us carry demons we don't recognise. Agreed, demons cannot possess a Christian against the will of the Christian but they are persistent foes, even as an external force, and don't seem to like having a Christian enemy. It's too bad for them because Humans know what Love is and its the one thing we come to God for.

Anyhow, for the original question: it's not for us to be concerned with God's judgements, we can always be assured that He trusts in the Love of humanity through the atonement His son Christ made. As long as we follow what our heart tells us Love means, there is no justified fear of being separated from God. He knew us before we were born, he knew our hearts and judged us worthy before we were in the womb. Therefore, it's only physical grievance that we feel when a loved one is taken, do not confuse that for God's will, that's a whole different kettle of fish and one we ought not get too selfish about, it's been happening since the beginning of [our concept of] time.

Upvote 0

texastig

The diablo is in the phone booth dialing 911
Feb 24, 2007
✟14,230.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some time ago I heard there is a difference between demons and evil spirits. Evil spirits are found in the heavenly places and demons are found in ourselves.

I think they are the same. Like a good criminal they take aliases.

They are inside and outside of us Christians. If we sin then that opens the door for them to come in.
We are tripart beings. Evil spirits can dwell in our soul (mind, will and emotions) and our flesh.
They cannot dwell in our spirit because that's where the Holy Spirit lives.

They didn't want to go to the dry places.

What do these demons do?

They drive, harass and torment and produce compulsive behaviors that stop, reverses or slows down a Christian.

Does everybody carry demons?

Yep.

Can christians be bothered by them?

Yep. Paul had a messenger of satan in his flesh.

Are there some guidelines for recognizing the destructing power of a demon in your life?

If you are being driven, harassed or tormented and it slows down, reverses or stops your spiritual growth and progress and produces compulsive behaviors then this is the work of evil spirits, i.e. demons and they must be cast out in Jesus Name!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

meirou

May 10, 2010
Liverpool
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
As a new Christian I am constantly battling with demons. It's quite strange, only recently has my faith become this strong. Yet, I'm getting a lot more sinful/scary thoughts, tempting me to unbelieve and whatnot. I hope to come out of this on the brighter side eventually!

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being born human with a right to choose the truth or lie such as stealing their sister's ice cream, or sacrifice that perceived need (greed), then evidently one day a child will make a sinful decision and guilt enters their life, one inch of wiggle-room for the accuser. Forgiveness is the gift of Christ, so it's clearly far too much for a kid to handle, nevertheless an unholy influence can make a delicate mess of one's psychology in the end.

Some children may learn many lies soon in life, to see a child who has been driven to suicide due to their sin might be too serious for me. It takes a lot of sin to harden a new heart, but they often turn completely upside down where one's need is too often great enough to suffer the other.. the opposite of love.. a sort of defect "self-idolisation" when we worship ourself instead of The Lord our God.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2010
✟15,166.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
As a new Christian I am constantly battling with demons. It's quite strange, only recently has my faith become this strong. Yet, I'm getting a lot more sinful/scary thoughts, tempting me to unbelieve and whatnot. I hope to come out of this on the brighter side eventually!

Please remember when you are under satanic attack that satan only attacks the child of God like this. By attack I mean a prolonged and sustained assault when he puts evil thoughts into your mind 20, 30, even 100 times in a row! It is terrifying These attacks can be got rid of by earnest prayer.It happened to me.If you are being subjected to such attacks,you are suffering the same "inward trials" as John Newton the hymn writer put it as many other Christians like Martin Luther, John Newton, C.H.Spurgeon and John Bunyan,the author of "Pilgrims progress" to name but a few. Read "Grace abounding to the chief of sinners" by John Bunyan as it tells of his struggle with his trial.It's written in old english but stick with it.
God bless! i 'll be putting your name on my "to pray for" list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

08Victorious

They are inside and outside of us Christians. If we sin then that opens the door for them to come in.
We are tripart beings. Evil spirits can dwell in our soul (mind, will and emotions) and our flesh.
They cannot dwell in our spirit because that's where the Holy Spirit lives

I believe you nailed it. A demon can never completely control a Christian, because it cannot live where the Holy Spirit lives, which is in the persons spirit.

When I was a newly born again Christian, I struggled with drug addiction. I had a friend pray over me, and he cast that demon out of me. I was not possessed, but rather, demonized. I felt that demon come out of me. I'm telling you this from my experience.

Charles H Kraft wrote a book that explains all of this called, "Defeating Dark Angels". I would check it out if your interested in understanding this.

Reactions: texastig
Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Demons cannot posses a Christian (new or mature):

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (New King James Version)

19) Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? 20) For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.

Your BODY is the temple of God, not just your heart. That means the Holy Spirit lives in you, and owns you, from the top of your head to the bottom of your feet. And since He owns you, He alone has any rights to you.

Also, if you sin, it doesn't give the devil any right to you:

Romans 8:33-34 (New King James Version)

33) Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34) Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.

Even if you sin, you are still righteous before God and the devil can't bring any condemnation against for what you've done.

Alan

Upvote 0